Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/30/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Faois

Well I am asking this question as I think it will be a positive for John at FAOIS.

I was wondering if people can let me know how many fish they have purchased from FAOIS and what the survival rate was?

Example if I bought 5 fish and 5 lived, or I bout 8 fish and 7 lived what ever it is. If you would like you could even list what fish you have purchased and how long they did live if they have died.

Again John I think you seem to run a good store and I think this will be very much a good thing for your store to show the quality.

Thank you for your time

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 08/30/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

I dont't know if the way you are trying to put it is good. There are to many buts and ifs from the store to the tank. Also if the fish is healthy or not and if your tank perameters are in check or not.
Old 08/30/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

I have purchased about 7 fish from him and never had a problem
Old 08/30/2007, 03:05 PM
Frag it!

I think the line that needs to be added was "that were properly cared for".

I think I got like 5 from his store, 2 died due to non-natural causes (one jumped out of the tank, one was in a small tank and it was way out of whack, my fault). The ones that were properly cared for are doing great. One I recently got, and the other 2 I've had for about two years.
Old 08/30/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Yes I am not talking about something that was not propery keeped. If you water quality was bad and you didn't realize it in time. don't count that please.

I have heard thatt John at FAOIS only sells his fish after he has seen them take well to being in his tanks. eating ect... I think that is great thanks John.

So I beleive and I think you would to that the survival rate will go way up at his store because of this.

I don't work at his store and I have only been there one time I was very impressed great place. I am not trying to advertise for him but at the same time I am sure the wonderfull job he has done will be seen in the thread.

Yes BlitzK
I only want to know about fish that were properly cared for.

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 08/30/2007, 03:24 PM
Moved On

all my fish from John are still alive, the one thing that I like that John does that no body else, (that I know of) he holds all fish livestock if ONE is sick, now who else does that ? huh.
Old 08/30/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Laz How many fish do you think you have gotten at Johns?

Old 08/30/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

6 purchased fish ,6 alive and doing great
Old 08/30/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

lol good luck figuring that one out laz. You should see his tanks lol
Old 08/30/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

I have been to Laz's house incradable setups.

ball park if you don't know for sure Laz

Old 08/30/2007, 03:52 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

4 out of 4 going back 2 years, I think. Maybe more.
Old 08/30/2007, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

3 out of 4. Copperband didn't make it. Not sure why. It ate well for 5 days and then day 6 no eating, day 7 it was gone.
Overall I am very satisfied .
Old 08/30/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

2 out of 2, doing great so far
Old 08/30/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Once the fish leave John's store he has no control over them, so don't know if this tread is fair. But I do know that John cares for his fish extremely well (better than most hobbist I know) and I believe he has the best store in the area. The only fish I have bought from LFS for my 120 came from John.

If you want to poll the stores I think you need to get eveyone to list what fish they bought where and what fish are still alive.

The fish I have bougth from FAOIS in my 120:

I have bought a PBT from FAOIS that I sold to Laz.
I have bought five chromis and three were killed by my sally light foot crab. )-:
I bought 2 clown fish and one died. Someone or something in the tank was picking on it. I think maybe it too was the crab.
I have one purple firefish and it is doing well.
My wrassie was came from FAOIS and is doing well too.
The other fish in my tank for from hobbist and they are doing well. Never lost any of them.

I know in my old 55 that I had better survivability from Fish purchased at FAOIS.

Cheers,
CB
Old 08/30/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Well I guess the fish you got from Aquatic vissions did not make it.

I have never lost a fish from John.

Including a blue star that reluctant to sell me because it just came in that morning.
Old 08/30/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

I reread your question and can't see why you would ask your question the way you did.
maybe you should have done it for the other place you bought your fish.
Old 08/30/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

I have been completely satisfied with all the fish I have purchased from FAOIS.

I have purchased mabye 20 - 30 over the years.

Most are still alive, the few that aren't died from causes unrelated to collection or care at FAOIS.
Old 08/30/2007, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

We started out ZERO for two with a Bangaii Cardinal - we then found John and Jennifer and we now have one of their Bangaii's and he is doing great. Fat and healthy.

We bought six green chromies - we have 3 left - one carpet surfed, and the other two were being harassed to death by tankmates.

We bought a Lamarck's Angel -- he's fat, healthy and doing well.

We just bought a Tonga Flame Wrasse -- he's also doing well and settling in nicely. (He's being slightly harassed by a Orchid Dotyback - butthead - but even that is waning)

We are now waiting for them to get a green mandarin in - i'm sure he will also do well when we get him.

We just don't go anywhere else anymore for coral or fish -- no need to. We like them personally and we like the way they run their business.
Old 08/30/2007, 05:38 PM
Moved On

foais 12

Finz 4

Pet Mart 22

Coral reef's 4

Aquarium Creations 14

others (people's house's) 38

there are probably many more because I give,buy other fish for lots,lots of other people maybe 100 or so

m3nac3 is the last person I donated fish
1 percula clown
1 blue tang
4 cromis

and a bunch of corals,2 large brains,teil stag,purple digi,green digi,red digi,superman,poslipora,purple idaho cap,red cap,green cap,green acro blue tips,nephia,green matalic grass,dunkins,and probably more that I can't remember,

the point is before I joined the TBRC and gotten on the computer, I've done lots of other donations to lots of other people, the reason I do it because its like a drug to me, I like seeing other people happy and enjoying the corals sea life, its does bring peace,joy,and lots of other things to people that makes them feel GOOD.

ITS HOW I DO
Old 08/30/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

I havn't bought any fish from faois but I bought some locline. It's doing great!
Old 08/30/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

glad to here the lockline made it. lol

Old 08/30/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

1 yellow coris wrasse that john worked his a$$ off for me and its doing great!

thanks John!

and thanks laz for all of the amazing corals and fish you have found a home for in the cube.

you both are the man!!!!! lol
Old 08/30/2007, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

...my story isn't great at all, but it happened when we knew less than we do now. I know John has a great store and reputation so I guess 99% of the people can't be wrong. I also know that when I mentioned that I had a bad experience when I first got on this forum, everyone started yelling at me so if there was a problem that anyone had, they probably wouldn't post.

I don't say anything negative about that store anymore (it was just one thing but resulted in big losses that could have nothing to do with anything). I think the store is probably the best in the state based on what I've heard...but if I did have a problem, I sure as hell wouldn't post it here. FAOIS beliefs in here are stronger than most religions, and I think people fear to get struck down by the reef gods if they should shame the god.
Old 08/30/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Laine, you are absolutely right. I personally like FAOIS and the way they care for their animals but, the rule around here is do not badmouth FAOIS and do not mention Pet Mart for any reason, lol. That being said, I'm impressed with John and Jennifer because they have such a wealth of knowledge and I find everyone there extremely helpful. John's fish probably do have a better survival rate than most based on his observing them for a few days before sale. Also, he will not sell you a fish that he feels might be sick or is showing visible signs of parasites.
Old 08/30/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member