Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/14/2006, 12:24 PM
Moved On

fish and other ichy stuff crappy

i just moved here from texas and i went to that store a couple of days ago and it was a horrible experience. i have only gone there once before and that guy who owns it (the chubby guy that looks like someone stole his last dollar) treated myself and my kids like we wre complete idiots. i even overheard his employees talking about how much they hate him...the reason i am sharing all this is because i wanted to know if anyone here shops at that store, and if so do they get the same treatment ?he thinks he is "mr fish" and the customer is not on the same social plane as him...ha ha...foolish fish boy!

anyway i like the fish and the coral selection but the owner made me want to spit and the funny thing was i was expecting to spend 3-4 hundred to add some coral and i left with nothing !

please let me know what anyone thinks or a better place to go ?

thanks

jim
Old 07/14/2006, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

LOL Nice try.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 07/14/2006, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

hahahah. too funny.
Old 07/14/2006, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

LoL, i had a great experience with Fish and other Ichthy stuff. I have no clue what you were talking about, one thing is right though, he IS mr fish, he knows his sh*t and i respect him for that. Great store. I give it two thumbs up lol.
Old 07/14/2006, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Well I am not touching that one but If your looking for a different pet store you might try Pet Mart the address and store hours our on the Web Site www.pet-mart.com

They just got some great fish in I heard and suppose to get a large shipment of quality coral in next week.
Old 07/14/2006, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

and one time at band camp...................
Old 07/14/2006, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
[i] www.pet-mart.com

They just got some great fish in I heard and suppose to get a large shipment of quality coral in next week. [/B]

ox·y·mo·ron A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.
Old 07/14/2006, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Hum, I think someone signed up just to flame FAOIS. I for one think that is not right. But with the internet you can hide behind your post.

John has a rep for not being the friendlist. Heck, he calls himself the fish nazi. Look at his avitors and that should give you a clue that he has some humor about it.

I think it is one of the better stores in town. Sorry you had a bad experience. Keep looking and I hope you find one you like.

Cheers,
Chris

PS - John please keep speaking to me. (-:
Old 07/14/2006, 01:32 PM
Moved On

thanks i will try there. i am not one to slam a business, but when the owner acts the way he did, then one must inform people on their experience. I had no pre determined ideas on this store before going there, and as far as him knowing his S**t, i dont doubt that he does, but you still dont treat the people that keep your business going like idoits!, even if they are new to the hobby or new to the area. If he didnt try to intimidate and belittle people he may be a bit more profitable (andalso percieved as intelegent, not just rude). and have more return customers.

and as far as his livestock....i think he does a great job at keeping them, he just needs to move his computer game and chair in the back because it is very apperant that he does not like dealing with people.

And if i choose to visit the store again and he is not there, i might just entertain the idea of making a purchase, but i doubt that would happen.
Old 07/14/2006, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

yes please go to petmart, the rest of us that know what LIVE coral and healthy fish look like will go to icthy stuff and finz. man it must just eat nick up inside that everyone on this board hates his flea market. finz has huge colonies from a customer's tank now b/c their customers are true hobbyists that bought quality livestock from them. the same goes for ichthy things, they had a huge green slimmer and massive glowing metallic wall type hammer with two seperate heads in there a while back from private tanks.

but this will never ever happen at petmart....why ?
first they never ever have a selection of healthy corals to choose from so you start with crap to begin with, and second the people that do shop there must not have the skill to raise a coral to show size because they are too dumb to know the difference between quality and junk.

what petmart is, is a place where poor souls go to enter and exit the hobby. you buy the setup. then you buy tons of livestock that dies, then you quit, but all the while petmart is happy b/c they figure they made more money off you b/c you had to keep replacing their junk......... hmm.......junkmart. sounds kinda catchy.
Old 07/14/2006, 01:37 PM
Moved On

also, i do not have anything against his store, i heard good things about it, that is why i went there. at least until i went there
Old 07/14/2006, 01:46 PM
kArBoN aDdIkT

Don't you all think it to be very low when the competition stoops to this level, lol?

Everyone that knows John, knows that your first post just doesn't add up.. I agree with greg. It was a nice try.....

Matt
Old 07/14/2006, 01:49 PM
Moved On

finz and marine warehouse have good quality selections, you might want to try there.

FAOIS has very good livestock, but you are right, he is not a people person.the corals are great, and the employees are great...just ignore john and you will do fine(he does not try to help so you should be ok).

FINZ has a great selection now...try that
Old 07/14/2006, 01:53 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

You can always tell when these posts are b/s because they generally are aimed at making personal attacks against the owner rather then the store as a whole.
If the post is not b/s I apologize for my assumptions but it is very questionable IMOP.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of setup do you have and have you found any other LFS better then FAOIS and please don't say Pet Mart.
Old 07/14/2006, 01:57 PM
kArBoN aDdIkT

Quote:
Originally posted by thisone2day
also, i do not have anything against his store, i heard good things about it, that is why i went there. at least until i went there
Of course you don't have anything against the store... Just John, lol, you and all of the other green competition in that area.... Did you see any of John's customers bashing chris(finz owner) in that Finz thread the past couple of days? No of course you didn't....
Old 07/14/2006, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

You could do this, OR you could run a better store and compete. Sadly, this is a lot easier, although the alternative would be better for everyone.

Old 07/14/2006, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

I thought we were all done with this ...But since we are not...

Let the games begin!! but hurry before they close the thread

John, I have a dollar i can lend you
Old 07/14/2006, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tangwang
Of course you don't have anything against the store... Just John, lol, you and all of the other green competition in that area.... Did you see any of John's customers bashing chris(finz owner) in that Finz thread the past couple of days? No of course you didn't....
speaking of fins, They might want to frag those big green caps they got before they completely bleach... just trying to help
Old 07/14/2006, 02:11 PM
Moved On

what ever you guys say...i just wondered if anyone had this same issue..it is a real complaint and if any of you have been there then you know the store and its livestock is very good, so yes the issue with the store is john,
trigger....i have a 120g reef, eurofeer cs8 skimmer, 40g sump, 40 gal refug.. 2 pbt, 2 clown , 1 sailfin, and some crabs,snail ect, 12 months old (just moved) i dont know what other stores around except what people are recomending, and not worried about that right now

and i dont know anything about finz.... never been there ! maybe the owner of the other lfs dont act that way, dont know
and as far as bashing....i am just saying what i saw, and if you all know him as good as you say then you must have seen this problem
Old 07/14/2006, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

Let's all go to a new town and sign up on a website we've never been on before and post our first message bashing a store we've been too once!!!

yeah. Right.

Old 07/14/2006, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

I was also hoping we were done as well, its not helping the boad it makes it look like trash me trash you trash this trash that
Old 07/14/2006, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

id rather get the good stuff from the scruffy fish nazi than the less than stuff from Mother Theresa.

I dont get offended when JOHN or anyone else doesnt give me a big hug or kiss when I visit there. I can tell you every time I have visited there I have been promptly asked if I needed any help within minutes of arriving. Customer service isnt all about smiles, cheerful hellos' BS, or free balloons for the kiddies. Not to the knowledgeable consumer anyway.

saxet ot kcab og
Old 07/14/2006, 02:19 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Did you buy the system in Texas and move it here or did you buy all these locally?
FYI - Three tangs in a 120 is pushing it a little bit. Any plans to upgarade to a larger tank anytime soon?
Old 07/14/2006, 02:23 PM
Moved On

yea, this board is for helping.....
every LFS has its issues and FAOIS has that one, but overall it is a good store. i appreciate people sharing their experinces as i am new in this hobby, but maybe not so personal

i was just in there and they have some huge , i mean huge clams, awsome ! i have never seen one so big, maybe 12-14" long....did not dare ask how much though
Old 07/14/2006, 02:31 PM
Moved On

i moved the tank with me (quite the pain in the a*s)

yes i am building a new home and putting a custom tank in i am planning a 400g in wall. not sure on the details yet but i have found a couple of tanks i am going to immulate. i have not purchased anything local yet, but i do need to find someone that has or can make a tank this size....(but the costruction of my house has not even started yet so i have some time)

and i dont expect balloons (although that would be nice) and if you read the prevoius posts i said that the rest of the staff are great !