Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

Question about finishing tank stand

Ok, first a little background... I'm in the middle of the slowest 90g build in the history of aquaria. I spoke with my dad about my build, drew a diagram of what kind of stand I wanted, gave him a couple of hundred dollars for lumber and he said could tinker with it in between jobs. To my surprise, when I woke up for work the other day my dad was at my house and my stand was sitting in my living room.

He obviously was doing more than tinkering with it. Heres a couple of pics of the stand.

I personally think it looks awesome. The only thing that can screw up the stand at this point is me, cause I'm the one finishing it. I have never been able to brush on a decent finish, and definately have not been able to spray a decent finish. I kinda want to use a boiled linseed oil finish. However, I accidentaly ran across what I think is my wifes christmas present for me.

The question I have is about the stain that she has picked up... The stain is oil based, but it says on the label that it seals. Does that mean that a linseed oil finish will not penetrate?

I know most of you guys are all for spar varnish finish, but I personally kinda want to go with the rubbed finish.
Old 12/24/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

That is one very nice stand.
I would highly recommend sealling it after the stain has cured with a polyurathane. Use a good quality "china bristle" brush and don't apply the finish (sealer) in "back and forth" brush strokes. Apply the sealer using a smooth stroke holding the brush at about a 45deg angle from the surface, apply thin coats. Don't squish the brush against the side of the can when dipping as this causes tiny bubbles in the poly and then transfers to the finish.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Your dad has done you right. That stand looks very nice... I'm gonna tag along to check the progress.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

I'm lousy at recognizing woods - is that a red oak?

The stand in gorgeous. Please post picks after you stain and seal so I may drool.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Very Nice stand. I would have to agree with WinM. Using the proper finish is crucial. It is OK to use the oil base stain, But I highly recommend using the polyurethane or Spar Varnish. I would use at least three coats, and lightly sand between coats (220 - 320 grit) I have found that the Linseed oil just doesn't hold up to all the moisture.
Old 12/24/2007, 09:42 AM
Premium Member

your dad did a great job....that is a very nice stand!!

the minwax stain will be fine..... and as much as I hate to say it you should use the polyurethane finish (it would look so good with a hand rubbed oil finish) but the polyurethane is almost a must because of the moisture.......it's going to look so nice when you get it done!!! keep us posted!

bg
Old 12/24/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Your dad did a great job, that's an awesome stand!
Old 12/24/2007, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

Iwould use this

Crystal clear, fast-drying protective topcoat is perfect for furniture, trim, doors, cabinets and paneling. Resists damage from abrasion, scuffing, chipping, water, alcohol and other common household chemicals. For use over bare wood, oil- and water-based stains, paint and wallpaper.
Old 12/24/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

I have found that using a rag to wipe the stain on works best. It gets a good even coat without over doing it. I then used a stain sealer by minwax that is sandable. It worked great to get a very smooth surface and is easy to lightly sand (above grade sandpapers are good). I used 2-3 coats. I then used a oil based poly finish. The biggest problem I had with the poly is a streaking looking. That was fixed by laying the stand down and working on the top side so that it can't run. I was applying very thin coats, but still found this to work best. It will look scratched between coats, but that is okay. The following coat fills in the sanding marks. Good luck! Awesome stand.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

wolf pup - yes the stand is made of red oak.

I'll let my dad know that everyone seems to like the stand. Thanks for the recommendations on the finish everyone. It'll probably be early next week before I can start on the staining.

How would you guys do the inside of the canopy? Would I just paint with an oil based white paint?
Old 12/25/2007, 12:21 AM
Team RC Member

Nice stand. Can you spray on spar varnish?
Old 12/31/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dattack
Nice stand. Can you spray on spar varnish?
I'm not sure if you can spray varnish or not.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

I managed to stain the stand. It was a lot more work than I expected, it made me glad that you guys talked me out of a rubbed finish.

We have a cold front coming through tonight and the temperature will be too low for me finish it. The temp will probably be too low through the rest of the week.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

is your dad adopting?
Old 12/31/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

That looks great!
Old 12/31/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

That is one incredible stand!

Without a doubt one of the nicest on RC.

I would definitely spray on the poly if you can and steel wool in between coats.

BTW, can you take a pic with the doors open? I am curious as to which of those panels is fixed and which ones open.

dantimdad
Old 12/31/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dantimdad
That is one incredible stand!

Without a doubt one of the nicest on RC.

I would definitely spray on the poly if you can and steel wool in between coats.

BTW, can you take a pic with the doors open? I am curious as to which of those panels is fixed and which ones open.

dantimdad

Thanks. They all open, kinda hard to get a good picture of them all open in my messy garage.

Old 12/31/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Darn nice! I was hoping it was all open like that.

Gives me some good ideas for mine.

dantimdad
Old 01/01/2008, 02:00 AM
Reefaholic

Is your dad a professional cabinet maker? If not, then that is one heck of a stand for just "tinkering" between jobs. Simply amazing.

What are the dimensions of your tank?
Also, just curious...but what are you planning on putting in that space directly to the right of the tank?
Old 01/01/2008, 05:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSandman
Is your dad a professional cabinet maker? If not, then that is one heck of a stand for just "tinkering" between jobs. Simply amazing.

What are the dimensions of your tank?
Also, just curious...but what are you planning on putting in that space directly to the right of the tank?
He actually has a cabinet shop. I worked with him for about a year back in the early 90s when all he made was cabinet doors, I just didn't have the wooden thumb he has.

The tank is a 90g reef ready AGA. The space to the right of the tank is for the closed loop pump, a sequence dart. I wanted as little head as possible (for the pump at least), so I drilled the tank on the right side and planned on having the pump right there.

Old 01/06/2008, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

Hey your stand is looking great.
Looks like its almost ready for the tank.

Here is the picture of the stand Dad made
for me.

The plant is hiding the chiller.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Your stand is looking good Steve. When are you going to help me with the sump? I'll be picking up some acrylic after next payday.

Anyway, the stand is complete. Figured I would put up a pic of it complete with the tank.

Old 01/07/2008, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

The picture makes it look like the color of the stand clashes with the wall. The color difference isn't really that noticable in person. And the rock that is in the tank is just some old baserock that I had laying around.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

wow, it looks very similar to what i did, you can check out my little red house. I think he did a better job than i did, i love that it's so open inside, i wish i thought to build mine like that.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shyland83
wow, it looks very similar to what i did, you can check out my little red house. I think he did a better job than i did, i love that it's so open inside, i wish i thought to build mine like that.
Wow is right, I just checked out your thread and they are very similar. I never even noticed your thread before, I guess great minds think alike. I've been wondering how to do the lights, I may steal some ideas from your thread.