Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2007, 09:47 PM
kArBoN aDdIkT

Yes, it looks like one of the bali cultured Porites pieces, most commonly sold as a "purple haze monti"
Old 10/20/2007, 09:54 PM
Patient Reefer

According to Tony at AA, it is a Bali maricultured piece.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

EBAY

AQUARIUM CITY PURPLE MONSTER LIVE CORAL ACROPORA ACRO Item number: 110182365705

Whos game?
Old 10/22/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Watch out they get on people for listing things from E-bay.
Old 10/22/2007, 12:33 PM
SWFMAS President

rofl ... nice "Purple Monster" you guy picked up ...

yes, that is a Bali Marticultured Monti, purple haze monti.

I picked one up a few months ago for about $30 if i remember correctly.

QUOTE by deschlayer:
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.
Old 10/22/2007, 02:42 PM
Patient Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by wizsmaster
rofl ... nice "Purple Monster" you guy picked up ...

yes, that is a Bali Marticultured Monti, purple haze monti.

I picked one up a few months ago for about $30 if i remember correctly.
Old 10/22/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

honest mistake, i wasnt aware it wasnt the true. purple monster.
Old 10/22/2007, 05:30 PM
SWFMAS President

Quote:
Originally posted by m3nac3
honest mistake, i wasnt aware it wasnt the true. purple monster.
not trying to blame you, or make it seem like you tried to deceive us .. HOWEVER... I called the store that sold it, and asked specifially for it, and they said it was a purple monster - ... that I am NOT cool with. apparently they don't know their own stuff.

QUOTE by deschlayer:
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.
Old 10/22/2007, 06:34 PM
On The M0VE

Bingo... Well put Marco!! I also called and spoke on the phone with them and they even dared to throw some club members names around to state that it was indeed a purple monster. Names will not be mentioned to protect these individuals...
It made me think if so and so said it was a purple monster than it has to be true... O'well, still a good deal for a "Purple Haze monti" this size...
I may have not got it If I was the one picking it up.. But thats a done deal.
Old 10/22/2007, 06:43 PM
On The M0VE

Also, Bob (Cybiline).. This is the real deal, notice it is not as branchy and skinny as the one posted on E-bay...
http://www.dynamicecomorphology.com/purplemonster1.gif
This one is more rounded and chunky looking... I would not trust the E-bay one. Check the selling threads for a real one with actual lineage. I'll also keep my eyes open. Thanks
Old 10/22/2007, 07:02 PM
Patient Reefer

Hmmm...did said club member get credited for questioning why it didn't look like and acro and why it looked like a monti???
Old 10/22/2007, 07:16 PM
Moved Aside

Another reason why naming corals is sooo great. Why cant everyone just learn their scientific names?? :-)
Old 10/22/2007, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

well if you guys are so unhappy with it bring it back to them
Old 10/22/2007, 08:41 PM
On The M0VE

Nope, not unhappy... Its just that it wasnt what they claimed it was.
I like this piece, as a matter of fact its the biggest coral in my tank.
Old 10/22/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Eventually, people need to ensure what they are selling is indeed what they claim it is because it's just not good business.

People that buy $80-$100 corals don't grow on trees and this practice of calling things whatever just to sell them is disgusting to me. Sure, you made a $ today but tomorrow???

They know better than this and should make it right with you because they sold you something vastly different than they marketed it as.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:04 PM
SWFMAS President

Quote:
Originally posted by zukihara
Eventually, people need to ensure what they are selling is indeed what they claim it is because it's just not good business.

People that buy $80-$100 corals don't grow on trees and this practice of calling things whatever just to sell them is disgusting to me. Sure, you made a $ today but tomorrow???

They know better than this and should make it right with you because they sold you something vastly different than they marketed it as.
Amen to that!

Don Lino,
I honestly don't think this was a great score, and if you're given the chance - I'd return it.
This coral is fairly common, and a pretty fast growing one at that. I got mine from Morgan Mok(sp?) @ Reef Gardener for much cheaper.

This is one store I will NOT be visiting. Either the stores employees/owner is not educated enough to know the diffeence between an acropora and a montipora, or they were simply trying to capitalize on a "name brand" when it wasn't - either way - That does not play well with me.

There are those stores, and then there are other stores, such as a certain local one that I just recently purchased 2 different rare frags from, for VERy reasonable prices.
1 frag of a Garf Bonsai ( 5 x 1" branches all joined) for less than I've ever found a 1/2" frag
1 frag of 1" x 3/4" superman montipora for less than $50

The owner fo the store was well aware of what these corals were, and was well aware of what common internet pricing is ... yet wanted to pass a great deal on to other locals, and increase the chance these corals have to survive, and be spread among hobbyists.

Props to a great LFS!

QUOTE by deschlayer:
Old 10/22/2007, 10:18 PM
Moved Aside

So if a store is selling a rare coral at an unrare price, due to their own miseducation, do you tell them? Or do you buy the coral and rack it up as a score?
Old 10/23/2007, 10:18 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

Quote:
Originally posted by zukihara

I agree to some extent especially with this case because the coral was totally different than what was advertised but
due to the "designer coral" marketing craze it is becoming harder and harder for the consumer and the retailer to nail down the true ID of a coral. If we are going to get caught up with owning these corals we as the buyer should be fully aware of what we are buying due to the mislabeling and knock offs that are out there.
I recently got into a debate with a couple of fellow reefers and a store on weather a coral was the true superman monti or not because they were asking $80 for a 1" frag but they touted it was the "real deal" Superman Monitpora Danae. If I was going to spend that kind of money I wanted the real tank aquacultered Danae because that is what I have been brainwashed to believe is the one and only real deal by the coral fragging industry.

Unfortunetly there are stores that will call any coral with red and blue marking a superman and why shouldn't they since it is just good marketing. I have seen Monti tuberculosa, Danae, Digitata, and other various Montipora species that have recently been collected that have the Superman colors and they are all being sold as "Superman" monti for $80 a frag. The problem is just like the Purple Monster, we get an idea in our heads of what the coral is going to eventually grow into based on pictures from Steve Tree, Atlantis Aquarium, etc. but unless you research and know where the coral came from and the true species you might end up with a wild collected knock off that either dies or changes a completely different color or a totally different coral all together like what happened here.
Old 10/23/2007, 06:59 PM
yeah...right

Quote:
Originally posted by triggerfish1976
The problem is just like the Purple Monster, we get an idea in our heads of what the coral is going to eventually grow into based on pictures from Steve Tree, Atlantis Aquarium, etc. but unless you research and know where the coral came from and the true species you might end up with a wild collected knock off that either dies or changes a completely different color or a totally different coral all together like what happened here.
Yep, here is a pic of a purple monster wanna be. I got it about a year ago from frag farmers. It is one of the slowest growers that I have ever saw.depending on location in the tank it can be anywhere from a light purple to a brownish purple.

Last edited by The Hawk'ster; 10/23/2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10/23/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by a2fire2i
So if a store is selling a rare coral at an unrare price, due to their own miseducation, do you tell them? Or do you buy the coral and rack it up as a score?
Corey,

Typically it wouldn't matter since they are pricing from what they paid the source for it. However, many times it's impossible to tell the lineage of a designer coral from a very small frag and you are buying based on "future performance".

Some rarer corals are less expensive than these designer pieces and some of the mark up is in the name alone STRICTLY because you know what it is capable of doing.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 10/23/2007, 10:15 PM
On The M0VE

Marco, thanks a bunch for the heads up. Its starting to color up mor blue than purple. The funny thing is on the receipt its labeled a Poker star monti...

Quote:
Originally posted by a2fire2i
Also very true... Thats why Im keeping him.