Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Heres my plan.

I wanted a new tank for xmas. Was just going to get a new one the same size. I think I am going to just get the package deal from the lfs. 75 gallon stand hood with overflow. for $199. The only thing is I will have to give up the coral bussiness for a while. Till I can get a new light to keep them. I will try and sell my old one but probably wont get much out of it. Just a 30 with stand and hood with an orbit light.
I guess I would like to hear your thoughts.
Old 12/04/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

I would do what you plan to, use as much of the water from the 30 as you can into the 75. get new sand and seed it with a few cups of the old stuff from the 30.

You can find some great deals on used lighting here or even new lighting that hasnt been used.
Old 12/04/2007, 06:16 PM
Killer of Giants

Agree with Blown346!
Old 12/04/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

I dont know what to do. I want to go bigger, but cant really afford it right now. Looking for a job but no luck. I think I am just going to get the replacement tank for now. In a few years when I move out get something big. I dont want to go back to just FO. I think I will get the new one that is my size. My mom doesnt want me to get that big of a tank.
Old 12/04/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

IMO, a 75 isn't really big at all. I have only had mine for about 7-8 months and I am already contemplating an upgrade to a 120. If I were you, I would get the 75 setup, use the 30g you already have for the sump, find a cheap return pump, and then reuse the light from the 30g till you can afford a new light. If you search the used forum here you typically can find common items needed very cheap. Let us know what you go with either way.
Old 12/04/2007, 07:08 PM
Killer of Giants

Yeah, they look big when they're empty, but it closes in fast.

I used to joke with my wife (then fiancee) that I needed a bigger tank. I had a 72 at the time. Before we got our house, I bought my 180 and had it in a spare room. Looked like someone knocked over a phone booth. Now that it's up and running, it really has not seemed nearly that big. So of course I joke with my wife that I need a bigger tank (really I'm not kidding, but I won't let her know that).

Anyway, If funds are an issue, I'd say make the lateral move for now. If you go bigger and funds become an issue, I'd hate to see you out of the hobby altogether. Work within your means for now. Your time will come.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 12/04/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Will the light I have now work on that big of a tank even for a short time? It is just a 24" orbit pc with 2 65watts. I think it is just enough for what I have now.
Old 12/04/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

sorry about going back and forth though. Not sure what I want and we have to make a choice within the next week or so.
Old 12/04/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

i bought this 260 watt pc light http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Odyssea-Power...QQcmdZViewItem

it's a great light for the money. i may grab another one just to up my watts/gallon. it's still much cheaper than halides, which i cannot justify the cost of either. the light i bought (in the link) also comes with stands to get it off the top of the aquarium and comes with all bulbs. if you do get it, remember to take the bubble wrap off from around the lights.....ask me how i know it's there.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

If you go with the 75 I would try to find a used t5ho fixture. T5 has the most bang for your buck and color options are limitless. I think you probably could get away with using your current light, just be smart about. If you have several light demanding corals make sure they are very high up, then when you get a new light you can adjust, rearrange, whatever you like.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

I would get the bigger tank, or just keep the one you have.. but thats just me. ive been from a 16 to a 29 to a 55 to a 120.. and still need a bigger one. lol
Old 12/05/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oysterxfast5
Will the light I have now work on that big of a tank even for a short time? It is just a 24" orbit pc with 2 65watts. I think it is just enough for what I have now.
If the light you have now is keeping your corals alive it will work fine. If the coral is 8 inches away in your current tank put it 8 inches away in a bigger tank, it could be a 1000 gallon tank and it wouldn't matter, it's the same light going through the same amount of water to the same coral. This is why the watts/gallon rule doesn't always mean much.
Old 12/05/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

so basicly if I did get it i would have to cluster the corals anround the same area as they are now. Wouldnt that have dark corners too?
Old 12/06/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Ok. Got it figured out. I ended up with a 46 bow front. I like It. will be setting it up after xmas. Maybe sooner.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Congratulations on your new purchase! I'm in the same kind of position you were in. I want bigger, but I don't want to over-do it. So in the meantime, I'm purchasing components that I'll be able to use in a larger system (lighting, skimmer, live rock).

Good luck with your new 46!
Old 12/06/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

It is somewhat of an upgrade. I think I will be happy with it.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

There it is.