Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/30/2007, 09:19 AM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

CL pump flow is coming weak

Hi there,
I am using two AquaBee Up 3000 pumps for my closed loop. They are supposed to be 790 gal/h each. Currently, only one of them is working and its divided into 2 by a T-pipe. So there should be 395 gallon outflow from each output an hour.
I am not sure that the flows from the pipes are really close to 395 gal/h. They give a very weak flow, I can easily hold my hand in front of the pipes.
One of the pipes is facing towards the surface and there are about 10" between the surface and the pipe. Well, the surface moves very little.
Is there something wrong with my pumps or is it because I am using 1" pipes?
AquaBee pumps are known for their quailty and both of the pumps are working the same so I doubt that its about the pump but I am not satisfied, I need more pumps to keep sps corals.

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 10/30/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

That rating is probably at 0 head, so you're probably losing some of that based on where your pump is and how many 90's and 45's you have in your plumbing (check the head loss calculator on the RC homepage).

Also 400gph (or whatever it happens to actually be) isn't enough flow that it would stop you from being able to have your hand in front of a 1" pipe...and depending on what you have on the outlet it might not do much to the water surface after 10" (do you have a nozzle/eductor/locline or is it just the open pipe?)
Old 10/30/2007, 03:46 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Head loss calculator doesnt have AquaBee but I have a couple of 90's. And the outlet is just the open pipe. Maybe I can use a nozzle?

It seems like I have to add some powerheads to my system for sps. I think a couple of Koralia's should help.

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena