Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Setting Up New Tank..I Got Questions

So. to my best knowledge and mathematical skills, the volume of this tank i have is around 40 gallons maybe 36-39 not positive.

But anyways, i set it up today, and got the water in it, salt mixture right.

This is what is in there so far

1. heater set at 73* F
2. Some cheapy mechanical filter till i get a skimmer in a few weeks
3. a 402 powerhead and a 301 powerhead

My questions are , is this enough movement in the water or too much
my other question is, what protein skimmer would you reccomend for me to get for a 40 gallon?

This is my first "bigger" saltwater aquarium, i had a nano that did well before w/ basic stuff, but a flood in my house ruined it.

Also how long before i introduce damsels to it to help w cycling it

any info would be rad,

thanks
-Matt
Old 12/21/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

73 to low. Dont use or need a damsel for cycle.
You could get by without skimmer for a few fish.

Amount of LR and LS?
These might help.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...id=285&aid=243

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/sta...opmistakes.htm
Old 12/21/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by demonsp
73 to low. Dont use or need a damsel for cycle.
You could get by without skimmer for a few fish.

Amount of LR and LS?
These might help.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...id=285&aid=243

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/sta...opmistakes.htm
im thinkin like 30 pounds of live rock, and as far as substrate, do i really need any? i heard w/ some much detritus from the LR that its a p.i.t.a.!

what temp also should heater be set at
Old 12/21/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

I would set the temp between 78 and 80 degrees depending on temp fluctuations and how warm the room gets during the warmer months.

Cycling with fish was a past time, now all you have to do is either add liverock to kick start the cycle or a cocktail shrimp form your grocer.

The type of tank it will become will helpo you with hoe much water flow you will need. A reef needs quit a bit of water flow to help remove detritus, and oxygenate the water.

Skimmers are rated for gallons, I would get a skimmer rated for double the gallons of your tank. There are alot of skimmers out there, do you need a hang on the back skimmer? or do you have a sump?
Old 12/21/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

i have the seaclone 100 protein skimmer for my 55 gal and it works great!!and as demonsp said your temp is to low...try to get it around 78-80* the temp dials on some heaters can be really innaccurate so you might have to mess with it a little...more movement is better than less movement...are you going to add liverock??
Old 12/21/2007, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blown 346
I would set the temp between 78 and 80 degrees depending on temp fluctuations and how warm the room gets during the warmer months.

Cycling with fish was a past time, now all you have to do is either add liverock to kick start the cycle or a cocktail shrimp form your grocer.

The type of tank it will become will helpo you with hoe much water flow you will need. A reef needs quit a bit of water flow to help remove detritus, and oxygenate the water.

Skimmers are rated for gallons, I would get a skimmer rated for double the gallons of your tank. There are alot of skimmers out there, do you need a hang on the back skimmer? or do you have a sump?

im going to go w/ a HOB skimmer.... i heard a aquac for a 25-55 gallon is my best bet?

as far as live rock goes, im gonna introduce some prob by weeks end, and get it goin, and tank cleaned up from it,

maybe add 2 damsels to the mix just to stare at.

i may need a better heater... any reccomendations on a good one? i have like some 30 dollar heater from petsmart in there now
Old 12/21/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

I dont have experience with that skimmer so I couldnt tell you if thats what you want. Im sure someone will chime in on that. I would go with the larger sized skimmer.

I owuldnt add any fish untilt he tank is cycled. By doing this the fish go thru tons of stress and torture. The ammonia levels in a tank that is cycling are very high as well as the nitrites (which kill), and the nitrates. The best way to cycle is to get liverock to start the cycle or a cocktail shrimp from your local grocery store. Adding fish to a tank that is cycling is like sticking you in a room filled with ammonia or bleach vapors, your lungs will hurt, you cant breath and you will die. Same goes for the fish.

Good heater are titanium, you can find them at your LFS or online for between $30 and $50 depending on what type you get.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blown 346
I dont have experience with that skimmer so I couldnt tell you if thats what you want. Im sure someone will chime in on that. I would go with the larger sized skimmer.

I owuldnt add any fish untilt he tank is cycled. By doing this the fish go thru tons of stress and torture. The ammonia levels in a tank that is cycling are very high as well as the nitrites (which kill), and the nitrates. The best way to cycle is to get liverock to start the cycle or a cocktail shrimp from your local grocery store. Adding fish to a tank that is cycling is like sticking you in a room filled with ammonia or bleach vapors, your lungs will hurt, you cant breath and you will die. Same goes for the fish.

Good heater are titanium, you can find them at your LFS or online for between $30 and $50 depending on what type you get.
what do you mean a cocktail shrimp from my grocery store? elaborate for me please
Old 12/21/2007, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

Uncooked shrimp from store and leave in 24 hours. But if you have LR and a SB then it will cycle on its own.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

A normal shrimp that you would purchase to eat. Get one of those, throw it in the tank for a few days for it to start to rot and decay. This will be enough to start the cycle and raise the ammonia level for you. Once you see a ammonia spike you can remove the shrimp.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

i use the visitherm stealth heater have had no probs with it
Old 12/21/2007, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdmcivicek9
i use the visitherm stealth heater have had no probs with it
i think that is the one i have.. im gonna mess w/ it here in a few minutes, and see if the temp raises up when i wake up in the morning.

thanks all
Old 12/21/2007, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Its a smaller tank but still 2 smaller ones is best.In case 1 stops working and for better even consistant temp.Also with only one place in the middle length wise for best results.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Should i run substrate in the tank?
Old 12/21/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

My personal experience with a dsb (deep sand bed 4"+) is good so far. But substrate is not required. Many on RC run bare bottom (BB) tanks with success. Search for a few build threads using one or the other and read around before you decide.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rustylugnuts
My personal experience with a dsb (deep sand bed 4"+) is good so far. But substrate is not required. Many on RC run bare bottom (BB) tanks with success. Search for a few build threads using one or the other and read around before you decide.

Thanks buddy. I have been reading for the past 2 days non-stop about barebottom vs dsb and i think im opting for the barebottom since im gonna go the reef route and want something easier to clean and not worry about so much debris and organics on the bed, i think ill just sacrifice and pay attention to the balance inside the aquarium more often
Old 12/21/2007, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

highly recommend visitherm stealth heater (all black, red dial on top with white letters). As for skimmer, ask support@proteinskimmer.com for recommendations from the makers of the AC Remora. I think the regular one AC-R is indicated for your size. A nice sand bed could be a plus in the long-term.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Norward
highly recommend visitherm stealth heater (all black, red dial on top with white letters). As for skimmer, ask support@proteinskimmer.com for recommendations from the makers of the AC Remora. I think the regular one AC-R is indicated for your size. A nice sand bed could be a plus in the long-term.
SWEET... thats the one i got!!!! ::thumbsup