Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2006, 12:19 AM
OT Engineers

Get off my Acro!!!

We have a Yellow and a Citron Clown Goby that have "hooked up" and laid eggs. Last week the eggs were laid on the glass, tonight they were laid on our beautiful purple Acro! There are too many expensive corals in our tank to risk this reoccuring. We are thinking about snapping off the branches, snatching up the parents, and throwing them all in the sump with the Seahorses. It would be cool to see what the babies look like, being that they are cross bred. Anyone have any experience with raising these or have any other ideas?

The parents:

Eggs on the glass:

Eggs on the Acro:
Old 11/12/2006, 12:24 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Doesn't look too good for the acro to have them smothering it. I also couldn't kill the eggs either. You might want to write Bob Fenner on this one, at WetWebMedia.

I'd love a baby or 2!
Old 11/12/2006, 12:25 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Doesn't look too good for the acro to have them smothering it. I also couldn't kill the eggs either. You might want to write Bob Fenner on this one, at WetWebMedia.

I'd love a baby or 2!

Enjoyed talking to you today. Did you see my post on the move?
Old 11/12/2006, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

Congratulations! That is so amazing!
mwp here on Reef Central has experience raising mandarins, clowns, etc. so try pm him.
He's the one that gave me the rotifers for my seahorse babies
Old 11/12/2006, 02:11 AM
Moved On

Thats awesome!(not about that acro) I wonder what the babies will look like.? Nice pics too.
Old 11/12/2006, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Any updates? Did you remove the eggs? How is your acro doing? Maybe just frag that part off and let the goby's have it?
Old 11/12/2006, 07:31 PM
Big Boy Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by sugartooth
Maybe just frag that part off and let the goby's have it?

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 11/12/2006, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

thats great keep us updated............

sounds like a good Idea to move them..........
Old 11/12/2006, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Man...so violent!
Old 11/12/2006, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

I have some news for you - BOTH your gobies are the same species - Gobiodon citrinus - their coloration differs due to gender. Both are Citron gobies! Yellow goby has no blue markings.
Old 11/12/2006, 08:18 PM
OT Engineers

Thanks to everyone for the advice and kind words!! We are not sure we are going to raise the babies, but we will keep everyone posted!
Old 11/17/2006, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

any new babies?
Old 11/17/2006, 10:51 PM
OT Engineers

As of today, the eggs were gone. They seemed OK last night when I checked on them. We are not sure if they hatched or were eaten. We left the acro w/eggs and gobies in the main tank. Getting the eggs out would be easy, the tough part was catching the gobies. I guess we are just going to have to leave them in there. There is no way to get them out without ruining our reef! We just hope they don't kill a fresh spot for the next batch of eggs. I guess we are just going to wait and see what happens.
Old 11/18/2006, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

wow nice job on spawing them at least. i got some frags from you at that swap at oceans floor, any new frags any time soon?

can you tell me alittle about your seahorses? im really thinkin about putting some in one of my fuges thats loaded with pods. do yours ever breed? id buy some off of ya if your lucky enough to breed those as well!!
Old 11/19/2006, 10:48 AM
OT Engineers

Thank you, we have been very fortunate with things lately! Our hammer coral spawned a couple of months back, our pepermint and cleaner shrimps are both egg laiden, and the seahorses in the sump are doing it too! We have a pair or Yellow Tiger Tail seahorses in our 40 gallon sump. It has a DSB, with alot of live rock and macro. They have been in there since July, and they love it! I also don't have to feed them anymore. The only drawback I see to doing this is that most of the time they are out of sight, back hunting within the macro. We have considered breeding them, but have held off. We aren't sure if we want to go through all the B.S. involved with setting up and maintaining a culture station for the green water and rotifers. Perhaps we will change our mind in the future, but for now I guess it will just be another food source for the tank.
Basile - How are the frags you picked up doing? Sorry we don't have any seahorses for you, but we do have frags! Catch up with us and we can help you fill that BIG tank you won at the swap!
Old 11/20/2006, 03:34 AM
Registered Member

haha yep the frags are doing good, except for that forest green montipora, i had a bad incident of RTN with a couple monti's when it got really hot in the summer one day. pretty bummed. i definitly will have to get some more stuff though! congrats on all the good stuff going on in the tank! how big are the seahorses? i was considering ordering a pair of drwarf H. zosterae seahorses and letting them breed in my fuge because its seriously like pod soup. i figured the babies would be able to eat the tiny copepods? do you really have to go through making greewater and stuff though? i didnt know i would have to do that. ill have to talk more about it with ya. thanks!!

matt
Old 11/20/2006, 11:44 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Kerusso (Mitch) set me up w/a nice bunch of live rotifers & I've been adding green water to them. I have a connection for live DT's plankton for cheap. I'd love to keep seahorses in my fuge--what a great idea!!! Now you have to start breeding them for all of us.
Old 11/20/2006, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

wanna get like a group order goin?
Old 11/20/2006, 09:40 PM
Pufferkrazy!

For seahorses? I'd want to establish my fuge longer (just set it up yesterday) & read up a lot on them 1st.
Old 11/21/2006, 12:10 AM
OT Engineers

Here are some pics of our seahorses. The first pic is in the sump, the other two are in the nano before we moved them. It's funny, but we have a couple of friends that stop by and seem to enjoy looking in the sumps more than the main tanks. Try a pair, they aren't that hard to keep, and everyone loves seahorses!

Old 11/21/2006, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

sweeeeett
Old 11/21/2006, 01:51 PM
OT Hijacker Boob

can't tell from the pics, are they both H. comes?
the one in the 3rd pic needs to be feed more, looks near starvation

you mean these threads have topics?
Old 11/21/2006, 03:17 PM
Pufferkrazy!

So maybe just depending on the pods in the fuge for food, isn't enough?
Old 11/21/2006, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

yeah i was afraid of that, thats why i just wanna get some dwarfs

smaller horse = smaller appetite
Old 11/22/2006, 05:59 PM
Nemo's paying the bills

I use live adult brine.....they are cheep and keep in a 5 gal with a airstone they will live for aprox 3 weeks.I enrich mine with live phyto.You can use DT's.Feed about 20 per day your horses will fill out nice.I get the live brine twice a month I pay about 5$ for about 3000 shrimp.I get them from coral reef on lawrence and Harlem.If you want me to get you some, I will.The enriched shrimp will also help your other fish...I tryed to Pm this it was full