Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 09/27/2007, 06:58 PM
Carpe Noctem

Arrow Hop's 300 gallon in-wall build

Useless information:

If you have read my previous threads or just want to see pictures, you may want to scroll down and catch the pictures.

Long story short is that about seven years ago I became addicted to salt water tanks after spending about 20 years dabbling in fresh water; from keeping goldfish as a kid, to moving to species specific tanks, breeding, planted tanks and then high-end planted discus tanks. I got pretty bored, but always thought that salt water would be too difficult. Well I decided to go for it and set up a 55 gallon FOWLR and was hooked. From there I moved to a 125 in-wall and then a 450 gallon system that many of you may have seen a time or two. During this time I’ve had a few 55s, a 40, a 30 and a 125 going in between and during the 450.

Then I elected to try to combine two display tanks together and shoot for about 800 gallons of total volume. Long story short is that due to a major medical problem, I had to liquidate most of my stuff so I could keep the evil bank people from foreclosing on my house. Now that things are getting back to normal around here, I was fortunate enough to wind up with a custom 190 gallon glass tank, which is going to replace my in-wall 125. It may not be as impressive as the 450, but I am looking forward to this tank I think more than any of my previous tanks. This tank should be fairly manageable while working full time and attending college as well.

So without going into anymore details, sob stories or interesting facts, I’ll move on to the build. Some of these pictures will be redundant for some of you as they start where I was with the 800 gallon build that never got completed.

The wetroom:

So I was fortunate enough to have a wetroom left over from the 450 gallon build. Initially I thought I would have to tear this down, but thankfully I didn't and elected to finish it out.

The old room was finished in greenboard and bathroom paint... Bad idea as it didn't work. So here is the deconstruction of the old wetroom:

And this is what the exhaust fan 4" pipe looked like after 2 years of use... Yuck!
Old 09/27/2007, 06:59 PM
Carpe Noctem

So on to the new!

After everything was gutted from the room, bleached, and stripped, I added the floor. I elected on vinyl due to the ease of cleanup and if one tears, breaks or whatever, it's .$79 a square foot:

Next up was the walls. I found some fiberglass shower surround sheets that I applied to the wall with water resistant/hard drying adhesive. Here are the first few sheets.

Here the walls are almost completely up, calked and cured. The room will essentially hold about 3" of water now before it begins to flow out for the door... Which I've tested three times in the last two months:

Next up was the subfloor:

Then I was able to get the laminate glued on and trimmed. This is where you can see the cosmetic blem from the router bit. That get's fixed in a few pics:

Old 09/27/2007, 06:59 PM
Carpe Noctem

Moving along:

I almost forgot... Where is this room heading? Here is the concept drawing, but some things have changed since drawing it up:

A little more done and the skimmer in place... It is 4' tall custom built GEO...

Old 09/27/2007, 07:00 PM
Carpe Noctem

This is the point where things began to change a little from the original diagram. After looking at numerous TOTM from various places I found that they had beautiful tanks, but the wire mess behind the scenes made me cringe. So I began to envision a build with no visible wires:

Here is the beginnings of a cube I built for growing out corals and giving critters a safe-haven in the same system, but away from the display if needed.

Old 09/27/2007, 07:00 PM
Carpe Noctem

I guess I forgot to mention that everything has to have a finished look for this build... So here is the beginings of wraping the wood and fishing everything:

Old 09/27/2007, 07:01 PM
Carpe Noctem

Ventilation: This was a HUGE issue with the 450, so on the rebuild I elected to give the wetroom and the headspace above the tank is own fresh air intake and exaust. Here is the exhaust for the wetroom. It is a 100 CFM 1.2 sone bath fan. It is super quiet and will be tied(eventually) to a AC III with a temp and humidity sensor.

The infrastructure mostly done: I only had electrical, which I still have to finish and a few other items. Then it's plumbing and equipment time!
The west wall:

The supports are bow wrapped:
Old 09/27/2007, 07:02 PM
Carpe Noctem

The lower end of the east end, with braces installed and wrapped!

The north and west wall:

The door jam painted. Funny the sticker on the door stated that it would only be warranted if painted within 48 hours of hanging. Oops:

I just had to have better lighting over the sink and the work and fragging areas, so I added some low-volt undercabinet lighting:

Starting to tuck the wires which are all ran through 2" pvc in order to hide the uglies!
Old 09/27/2007, 07:03 PM
Carpe Noctem

Bulk heads installed in the lil cube and it's in it's place.

Here are a couple shots of how I'm running the various equiment wires at the ceiling line. I was going to paint the fexible conduit white, but decided that it matched the schedule 80 plumbing, so I left it.

Here is a brace removed in order to slide a 70 gallon acrylic RO/DI holding tank in it's place.
Old 09/27/2007, 07:03 PM
Carpe Noctem

The 70 gallon tank, freshly made:

Temporarily in position! I place ply and foam under it later, but I don't know if I have pics of that.

Begining the plumbing for the ATO:

And just a overall to show where the valve is in relation to everything:

The plumbing of the RO tank begins. The electrical is hidden under this tank and the access panel is removed:
Old 09/27/2007, 07:05 PM
Carpe Noctem

A quick overall shot of stuff back where it goes:

PLumbing the overflow on the 40ish gallon cube... Dirty tank, I know:

Running a wet-test on the overflow.

And a quick top down shot:

Here is what a trip to the hardware store will get you... A box of parts:
Old 09/27/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

holey jebus thats insane
Old 09/27/2007, 07:06 PM
Carpe Noctem

And here are a few pics of the 40 cubeish plumbed and ready to go:

It's plumbed with a 1" OM omniflex nozzle rather than loc line. I like the omniflex nozzles much better... All 1" pvc and a ball valve for minor flow adjustments.

Next up was the skimmer. It too is plumbed with 1" for the feed. What you can't see is the drain is plumbed with 1.5"... Also you can see the 3/8 hose from the collection cup drain. I clean my skimmer frequently enough that I really don't need a waste collector... But, I will be running it to a phosban reactor to catch a little more skum if needed and then if that overflows in the event of the skimmer going crazy, it will be plumbed back to the sump. I like the Po4 reactors for this as they are half the price of a waste collector and I can't built them for as cheap as these things are Many, many uses!

A quick over-all shot of the business end of the wetroom:

Old 09/27/2007, 07:07 PM
Carpe Noctem

And finally the flexible conduit is now secured.

And that just about it for the wetroom right now. I've got it all caulked and literally waiting for the sump next week.

To be continued shortly with the tank side of things...
Old 09/27/2007, 07:18 PM
Carpe Noctem

So on with the tank. I'll try to remember to fill in the flow ideas and stuff as I go, but I think I will forget somethings as I post pics, so if anyone has questions about anything, fire away

Ok so here are a few pics of the tank inside and on the stand I threw together so I can move it around and finish up the plumbing, painting etc.

So here is the backside of the tank.

Basically the three bulkheads on the back are for the closed loop. The center one is about 10" off the bottom and will be the feed. The other two are the returns at about 6" off the bottom and will be connected to two PVC structures to hold the LR. The idea is to keep the crud from landing under the rocks and it will be designed to keep good flow around the rocks themselves and the back wall.

The overflow has 2 1" drains. I didn't see a reason to go higher as I'm only going to be pushing about 800gph through the overflow.

Here are just two more pics. One from the front and one for the closed loop from the front. The glass got really spotted from the rain the other night and I need to clean it.

Old 09/27/2007, 07:23 PM
Carpe Noctem

Here is everything taped off and ready to go:

I did paint the sides as it will be viewable from the front only. Due to the way the cut out is designed for the in-wall set up, I do not like the light bleed through that I get from the way the tank sits in the wall... So, I have black sides:

As you can see, I did not paint over the siliconed joints. I will be placing a piece of black over these *slits* to ensure no light passes through, but I didn't want to think that anything in the paint could degrade the silicone now or over time.

Old 09/27/2007, 07:31 PM
Carpe Noctem

Just so everyone is aware, this is not the plumbing that will be in the tank. It's similar, but I had to order some specialty PVC fittings so that everything will sit very close to the back wall. When completed the PVC will all be painted black also.

So onto the closed loop. As I think I mentioned, the closed loop structures I initially built, wouldnt cut it in my eyes. Here are two pics of the original ideas:

So I elected on these. They each have 22 1/4" holes, plus 2 1/2" loklines to keep the flow going and crud from settling under or behind the rocks:
Old 09/27/2007, 07:31 PM
The Original Happy Banana

Now that is excellent attention to detail!

The trials in life only serve to make us stronger and appreciate what we have even more.

Congratulations and welcome back!
Old 09/27/2007, 07:33 PM
Carpe Noctem

The paint is not perfect, but the structure should be completely hidden when up and running. The only thing visible should be the ends of the lokline:

Old 09/27/2007, 07:39 PM
Carpe Noctem

And just a few equipment shots

And two dorks that help me as I go:

First is Austin who hides my tools:

And beaker who helps me search the net:

That's about it for now. I'll try to fill in the blanks later tonight. I'm hoping on getting the tank swap done next tuesday.
Old 09/27/2007, 07:41 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by jubjubrsx
holey jebus thats insane
Thanks! Hopefully it will come together soon
Old 09/27/2007, 07:42 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnsteph10
Now that is excellent attention to detail!

The trials in life only serve to make us stronger and appreciate what we have even more.

Congratulations and welcome back!
Thanks johnsteph10! I think the trials made me more determined

I wasn't going to post this thread until after the tank was in the wall, but I needed a break from working on my thesis this week and figured I was close enough
Old 09/27/2007, 07:52 PM
Carpe Noctem

I guess I should show where the tank is going

I found a full pic of the 125 or future home of the 190 as a reef, rather than a planted tank. I'm planning on re-doing the doors and canopy access for the new build and replacing the hinges to something that doesn't look like a barn hinge!

Old 09/27/2007, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

Hop.

What an awesome build on your wet room!

Sorry to hear about your setback. Congrats on your huge comeback! This was the perfect thread for me. I am planning a wetroom and had no idea where to start.

If you don't mind, can you tell me in more detail what didn't work with your first design? I hope to learn from others mistakes where I can... Lord knows... I have PLENTY of my own to learn from.
Ryan.
Old 09/27/2007, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

OK, I have reviewed your plans a second time and have some questions.

Do you have enough room to work in your sump and fuge, which are below the table top? Not to answer my own question.. but I suppose it is no worse than the usual sump below the tank situation.

If you were building this in a totally unfinished basement, with a stream path along the floor to a drain, would you enclose it in four walls?

Is this to keep kids out? To isolate humidity and heat? To separate it from finished basement? All of the above?

Did you use that panasonic inline duct fan? I just ordered one that seems to match your specifications.

Finally, your nasty looking duct... did you clean it? What is your ventillation path? Is it two ducts to the fan (one from the tank and one from the wetroom), then to the outside. Or, two fans and totally parallel systems?

Thanks!

Last edited by FishTruck; 09/27/2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09/27/2007, 09:03 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by FishTruck
Hop.

What an awesome build on your wet room!

Sorry to hear about your setback. Congrats on your huge comeback! This was the perfect thread for me. I am planning a wetroom and had no idea where to start.

If you don't mind, can you tell me in more detail what didn't work with your first design? I hope to learn from others mistakes where I can... Lord knows... I have PLENTY of my own to learn from.
Ryan.
Hey Ryan. Thanks for the comments and the interest in the thread. I apologize to you and everyone else if my answers and posts are slow at times, but a full time career and college are wearing me thin I actually have to take vacation to get this thing built

To answer this first question, if you are asking about the first build where the walls were blue, it was because of humidity, poor plumbing and the lack of proper temp control. All these contributed to issues. Certainly I could have worked around them, but it just wasn't my way of doing things

The problem with the original design for this build seen in the drawing was simply space and weight over the runs of wood, compiled with the fact I didn't want to see wires, or at least very few wires.