Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/28/2007, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeferhead
Great thread!

If there is one thing I've learned from this thread so far it is the following:
The Army pays you officers way too much money to sit in the TOC all day and chat on RC. J/K However, as a fellow Guardsman getting ready to deploy as well, I must say this is a worthwhile venture and I'll be following along to provide assistance in planning this beast as best as I can.

As a former artilleryman (13E on M198's both Airborne and Leg units) and now a straight grunt infantryman, I must say the infantry is way more rewarding. Even though putting rounds down range, blowing stuff up, and enjoying that wonderful smell of "wolf *****" was a blast, the infantry is where it's at. Besides unless you're an FO you'll probably never get to see you own dirty work . Although in the end, when it comes time to deploy, we almost all become some form or fashion of MP anyway, so does it really even matter?

I haven't even left yet and I'm already planning my next big tank upon return. We have very similar plans as far as dimensions and other specs.

You should seriously consider working Waveboxes into your design as suggested earlier. If you plan them into your original design you can have them fill the spaces left around overflows and use false walls to hide them so they do stick out. The flow they produce by using the intrinsic functions of natural waves is just unmatchable. I would complement them with enductors of some sort on an Oceansmotions possibly even on just the returns and avoid closed loops entirely. This of course, depends on how much flow you want to run through your sump and other basement tanks.

One last question, do you have a tank setup back home right now? I'm quite nervous about leaving mine running while I'm gone for a year with just my wife and a couple club buddies to watch it. What do you think? "Check or Hold?"

Later,
Thanks for chiming in, "Queen of Battle" LOL

I have decided that I'm fairly sure I'm not doing wave boxes. I think, if I have space, I'm going to do a surge tank... About 50 gallon surge.

Also I can't even get on RC at the TOC here. I have to wait until I'm off.

As far as my set-up back home... none... my wife absolutely refuses to do anything with the tank except, sit back and enjoy it.