Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 03:32 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeeee
How do you get so much coraline algae growth i honestly love all the purple!! better than green/brown nasty stuff. Maybe it is because i have only had 1-250 MH light running on my 90g for too long. Time to add that second i guess huh? how do you like your Reef Optix III? I think I may go for that one with 14k and icecap ballast. Do you add any supplements to your tank?
I love the Reef Optix III I think it's a great setup with the phoenix bulbs. I bought mine from ReefGeek.com with the ice cap ballasts for $569 for both. Much nicer then my previous MH fixtures.

I don't supplement anything in my tank. I don't have SPS though. I just try to keep up with my water changes. Before I scraped my tank to clean it up, the front glass was covered about 50% in coraline. You couldn't even see into the tank. I use Reef Crystals salt.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, Do they ship to Canada? how is their shipping? i was looking at the same one you have but just 1 not 2 for 300ish. I hear reef optix II are on the the most popular and the luminarc's are suppose to be even a bit better because they are a bit brighter..but of course more $..which i think would be perfect if using for 180^ systems. But yeah..i am really liking these RO III.. i just need to find a place to order from..reefgeek seems to have good prices though. How long has your tank been setup because i dont get even close to the amount of coraline algae and my tanks been setup for 10months +. After I get these lights I think I am going to start a thread on my nano seahorse tank ..it'll be my little xmas present ..I have the perfect spot too but my 44g dart frog vivarium is there gr..! where do i put all my hobbies?! lol
Old 12/17/2007, 04:26 AM
Registered Member

NG, what setting are you using for white balance? I've had pretty good results by setting it to "Bright Daylight".

Phil
Old 12/17/2007, 01:23 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Thanks, Do they ship to Canada? how is their shipping? i was looking at the same one you have but just 1 not 2 for 300ish. I hear reef optix II are on the the most popular and the luminarc's are suppose to be even a bit better because they are a bit brighter..but of course more $..which i think would be perfect if using for 180^ systems. But yeah..i am really liking these RO III.. i just need to find a place to order from..reefgeek seems to have good prices though. How long has your tank been setup because i dont get even close to the amount of coraline algae and my tanks been setup for 10months +. After I get these lights I think I am going to start a thread on my nano seahorse tank ..it'll be my little xmas present ..I have the perfect spot too but my 44g dart frog vivarium is there gr..! where do i put all my hobbies?! lol
I'm not sure if they ship to Canada or not. I would just call him and ask him. I called a few times to ask questions and he was nice (greg).

Yea, I think the lumens are rated a bit better, but if I remember correctly it was for the moguls and like 250 and 400 watt bulbs. For the DE I don't know how they compare, but I was looking for the smallest reflector I could find to try and make it work inside my hood.

I think it was like April we set it up. Def start a thread and go buy it! Santa wants you too! =) Got any photos of the dart frogs? They are really pretty. If you're running out of room do what we did, go buy a bigger house! lol.
Old 12/17/2007, 01:24 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
NG, what setting are you using for white balance? I've had pretty good results by setting it to "Bright Daylight".

Phil
Usually on auto. I've tried like every setting on the camera. It comes with a few that are preset for certain conditions.. then I went in and tried to change everything as well. It seems like I just can't get it!
Old 12/17/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Usually on auto. I've tried like every setting on the camera. It comes with a few that are preset for certain conditions.. then I went in and tried to change everything as well. It seems like I just can't get it!
You should be able to shoot in raw mode and then do the white balance with photoshop afterwards. Whats nice is it lets you put in a color temp for the white balance so it should be about the same for every pic after you figure it out. I take all my images in apature priority mode, seems to work well for me, but there are just so many options.
Old 12/17/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

I just tried one of the customizing features with mine last night. It lets me point it at something white and sets the ballance to that. Seem to work well.

My biggest problems are getting it to focus on what I want in macro mode, and having things wash out badly. I think I'm going to have to give up on the auto metering and just learn to do everything manually.

Bohlke, what aperature are you setting then? What film sensitivity setting?
Old 12/17/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

I do everything at iso200, and a vary from f8-f10. I set the color temp to 8500 with photoshop as that makes the colors look as they are in the tank. Sometimes I use a sharpening plugin from Fred Miranda depending on the image. The CS pro sharpening plugin for the d100 works great with the images from my d40. I cant wait to get a macro, I have been using the kit lens (18-55mm) with some luck.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

I'll have to check that out, I don't have photoshop, but I do have a bare bones version of Paintshop that came from Dell. So my editing ability is somewhat limited. My 5700 was one step below an SLR when I got it. Basically it's got all the same features, except the ability to change lenses.

I'll play around with those settings tonight. Thanks.

Phil
Old 12/17/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Sweet, i checked and they do ship to Canada w00t! April huh? well now I am just jealous lol. Sorry no pics atm until i buy my new Nikon D80..i just love that camera! (another christmas present for myself ). You mean my parents have to buy a bigger house! haha I am 19 so no house of my own yet..and renting is just ridiculous. Yeah..way to many hobbies already at 19..Birds, reef, dart frogs (and thats just my animal hobbies..) lol. Please no more pics of your gliders or i'll have another hobby!!
Old 12/17/2007, 08:57 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by bohlke
You should be able to shoot in raw mode and then do the white balance with photoshop afterwards. Whats nice is it lets you put in a color temp for the white balance so it should be about the same for every pic after you figure it out. I take all my images in apature priority mode, seems to work well for me, but there are just so many options.
Interesting... is there an easy way to adjust the WB in PS? I want the photos to be accurate of the tank. Thanks for the idea!
Old 12/17/2007, 08:59 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Sweet, i checked and they do ship to Canada w00t! April huh? well now I am just jealous lol. Sorry no pics atm until i buy my new Nikon D80..i just love that camera! (another christmas present for myself ). You mean my parents have to buy a bigger house! haha I am 19 so no house of my own yet..and renting is just ridiculous. Yeah..way to many hobbies already at 19..Birds, reef, dart frogs (and thats just my animal hobbies..) lol. Please no more pics of your gliders or i'll have another hobby!!
lol... oh okay. Well at least I'm not the youngest person on RC anymore! Sorry, can't promise no more glider pics =) Sounds like your xmas is going to be awesome lol!
Old 12/17/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

great looking tank, I love the pic of the powder blue tang!

Thanks!
Ricky
Old 12/17/2007, 10:01 PM
Girls Rule!

Thank you! =)
Old 12/17/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

On your camera set your image quality to RAW, this will create .NEF files (I am assuming its a Nikon?). Now open the .NEF files with Photoshop and this window will open

You can then adjust the color temp manually or choose some of the presets. You can also adjust exposure (always easier to increase instead of decrease) and some of the color mapping. This file can then be manipulated by photoshop and then converted to jpg. It adds time at the back end of the process but it really makes it easier to take good pictures as you can correct color mistakes and exposure mistakes after the fact.
Old 12/18/2007, 07:06 PM
Girls Rule!

Thanks! I tried what you said and I didn't have all of those options.. what version of PS do you have?
Old 12/18/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Its Photoshop CS2, latest is CS3 I think.....
Old 12/18/2007, 10:02 PM
Girls Rule!

I only have PS7! I suck!
Old 12/18/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
I only have PS7! I suck!
Wow it looks like PS7 is much different than CS2, sorry I cant be much of a help with that. This might help but it just confused me:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_colour/ps7_1.htm
Old 12/18/2007, 10:45 PM
Girls Rule!

lol me too! thanks for trying =)
Old 12/18/2007, 10:53 PM
Girls Rule!

I tried to take some shots tonight but really didn't get anything great.. but I did capture this shot of Ocean which I thought was cool!

This one I just thought was neat the way the image came out.

And my purple firefish finally stayed put long enough for a shot!
Old 12/18/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Yay! i love ocean. Nice purple firefish too. It's always the pretty ones who usually like to hide huh? I see your getting lots of coraline algae again haha :P. My 2-250w lumen max 3 pendants w/dual ballast and 14k bulbs will be coming next week..prepare to be blinded! cant wait!
Old 12/18/2007, 11:14 PM
Girls Rule!

lol... thnx! So kewl! Update us once you get them and let us know how you like them. Your xmas is def goind to be good!
Old 12/18/2007, 11:37 PM
TRC Leader

That first picture is really nice because of the depth of field. Ocean stands out (swims out?) beautifully.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:24 AM
Girls Rule!

Thnx =) That's what I liked too.