Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/20/2007, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

50g SPS tank equipment

I am setting up a 50 g SPS tank soon and I wanted to see what everyone thought of my equipment setup.

Tank:

50 gallon Cube with external overflow and Eurobracing (3") built out of 1/2" Acrylite GP. It's 24x24x20 + Overflow. The overflow has two 1.5" Drains and one 1" to come up to the four outlets (1") in the Euro-brace.

Sump:

Not sure, still working on the design. Custom.

Skimmer:

Tunze 9010 or Octopus 200

Return Pump:

Must be quiet, tank is in the kitchen. Velocity T4?

OM Super Squirt returned to the 4 x 1" outlets

Powerheads:

Currently, 2 x modded mj 900s. Later, 2 x 6055 with Neptune controller

Controller:

AC Jr or AC III

Calcium/Alkalinity:

RHFs DIY 2 part with Litermeter III and remote pump

Lighting:

1 x 250w MH with Lumenarc Mini, 10k Reeflux

Misc:

Phosban reactor
Old 08/20/2007, 08:46 AM
Reefer

thought about a kalk reactor instead of the 2 part additives?

my setup on my 75g is similar, I went with a 400w radium (one end is for softies) and I'm going with a kalk reactor to start, I may add a ca reactor later, I've got all the equipment already from previous tanks
Old 08/20/2007, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Not a big fan of kalk reactors for ca/alk supplementation. Great for maintaining pH but I'd rather do the 2 part. Had both a ca rx and 2 part w/ dosing pump and I prefer the latter.
Old 08/20/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

So I'm trying to decide on a return pump.

Pan world 100PXX

or

Velocity T4

Both are right around the same price and the same gph. From what I have read, the Velocity is very quiet but adds some heat to the tank. Anyone have any experience with the noise level of the panworld? I've had a gen-x pump in the past and it was rather loud. I took off the fan and that seemed to help.
Old 08/21/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

COnsider an Ehiem for your return, very quiet, and efficent. Perhaps I read your comments incorrectly, but just in case, the Neptune controller will not control the 6055's. At least not to their full potential. I am sure you know this, but the way you listed it with the PH's made me think twice. Sounds like a great set up.

G'Luck
Old 08/21/2007, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

The new Aquasurf will control the 6055s. Look in the Neptune Forum. The release date is early Sept. Should be better than the 7095.

I had a 1262 in my last tank and I really liked it. Very quiet as you point out. I was hoping to run an external pump with around 1200 gph, but I may have to consider something internal.
Old 08/21/2007, 08:12 AM
Reefer

stay away from the velocity

bad design, they run real hot, and if you ever move to a ca reactor you will hate that pump even more, they love to collected calcium deposits, I guess because of the heat

I had to clean mine twice as often as my iwaki pumps, so much that I pulled it out of the system and it still sits on a shelf in the garage
Old 08/21/2007, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

tunze 9010
eheim return pump
I like phoenix 14k bulbs DE
Old 08/21/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MegaDeTH
stay away from the velocity

bad design, they run real hot, and if you ever move to a ca reactor you will hate that pump even more, they love to collected calcium deposits, I guess because of the heat

I had to clean mine twice as often as my iwaki pumps, so much that I pulled it out of the system and it still sits on a shelf in the garage
That's what I've been reading. How big is your tank and how much did it heat it up?
Old 08/21/2007, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kodyboy
tunze 9010
eheim return pump
I like phoenix 14k bulbs DE
Thanks. The MH will be SE (more bulb selection). Thinking about the ehiem. Still up in the air on the 9010 (hate paying full price for a new one).
Old 08/21/2007, 08:24 AM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisrush
That's what I've been reading. How big is your tank and how much did it heat it up?
I have no way of measuring how much was directly from that pump, it was HOT to the touch

the worst was how it got so clogged up with calcium deposits it would stop pumping, on a monthly basis

my tank is a 75g
Old 08/21/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MegaDeTH
I have no way of measuring how much was directly from that pump, it was HOT to the touch

the worst was how it got so clogged up with calcium deposits it would stop pumping, on a monthly basis

my tank is a 75g
Thanks. Don't think that I want to deal with cleaning the pump monthly.
Old 08/21/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

sometimes you can find a 9010 on sale in the used forum, but not too often people really like them. I like mine
Old 08/21/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

I'm on the hunt. I may have found 1, but we will see.
Old 08/21/2007, 10:48 AM
Knows Victoria's Secret

Why go with the powerheads in the tank? why not do a CL? I'm planning a similar tank and I want to keep as much invisible in the tank as possible.
Old 08/21/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

I'd go with the octopus 200. It can handle tanks up to 100 gallons stock and if you mod it you can double it's power. And it's only $200, you can't go wrong. The only reason to go with the Tunze would be if space is of the utmost concern.

Eheim for the return, super quiet, efficient, and last forever.

Any actinics for the MH? If not go with a blue 14K bulb (aquaconnect comes to mind), if so go for the 10K. Also if you want the most PAR try to get a PFO HQI ballast, they are built like a tank and are far ahead of IceCap in PAR.
Old 08/21/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snulma1
Why go with the powerheads in the tank? why not do a CL? I'm planning a similar tank and I want to keep as much invisible in the tank as possible.
Had a CL on my previous tank and took it off. I hope to hide the tunze pretty well since they are small. Hopefully once the corals start growing, they will be hidden anyways.
Old 08/21/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dwarf Seahorses
I'd go with the octopus 200. It can handle tanks up to 100 gallons stock and if you mod it you can double it's power. And it's only $200, you can't go wrong. The only reason to go with the Tunze would be if space is of the utmost concern.

Eheim for the return, super quiet, efficient, and last forever.

Any actinics for the MH? If not go with a blue 14K bulb (aquaconnect comes to mind), if so go for the 10K. Also if you want the most PAR try to get a PFO HQI ballast, they are built like a tank and are far ahead of IceCap in PAR.
I think that I found an octopus 200 modded locally, so that might be for the best.

I'll probably pick up an ehiem today if I can find one.

That's the other bulb that I was considering. The only draw back is the price tag, $115 (ouch).

I'll look into the PFO ballast. Not sure about overdriving the bulb though.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Ordered my LM3 and RO/DI unit yesterday from twopartsolutions.com

Need to buy a light setup. I found a reflector/bulb (lumenarc mini and reeflux 10k) at reef exotics but they don't carry the ballast that I want (icecap hqi).

Think that I found a skimmer (octopus 200), sump (lifereef) and a return pump (eheim 1260) locally. Hopefully the skimmer will fit into the sump.

I need some help on some base rock. Marco rocks? Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 08/22/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Marco rocks is great, nice prices and great shipping plus customer service. If you have the cash reef ceramics is the best.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Not even going to go there. I had them in my old tank and about the time I added them, I started to have issues. I can't say that the RCs were the cause, but they definitely didn't help things.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:38 AM
clownfish fan

if you use base rock make sure you cook/cure it before putting it in the tank.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Why?
Old 08/22/2007, 10:50 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisrush
Why?
because they are covered in dead organics and tons of dust that will foul the tank.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Ok, I understand that part, but I'm not sure I need to cook the rocks for several weeks. I think that a couple of dunks/swishes and then I'll run a filter sock while I'm cycling the tank.