Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/11/2008, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Unknown Critter id?

Hi, I was observing my tank this morning before I headed off to work, found this little cluster of white balls in my LR. My initial thought was that it might have been something that was spawning in my tank, like fish eggs or something, but my tank has just finished cycling and I really only have some hermits picking around in there at some point. My thoughts on this changed when I went back to take a look at it and it took me a while to find...it had contracted to be almost level with the surface of the LR. When I grabbed my camera it was out waving around again. I couldn't tell until I looked at the photo's but is this some sort of anenome? It looks like it has some tentacles of some sort with the white balls being the tips.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is this thing harmful and should I attempt extermination? I doesn't look like apistasia to me.

Heres a picture with flash:

Last edited by jerome736; 01/11/2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:48 PM
Where the future begins!

That is a pseudocorynactis polyp aka Ball Anemone. They aren't really anemones though, but rather are closely related to mushrooms.

They are pretty well harmless and shouldn't hurt anything.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 01/11/2008, 03:49 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by JokerGirl
That is a pseudocorynactis polyp aka Ball Anemone. They aren't really anemones though, but rather are closely related to mushrooms.

They are pretty well harmless and shouldn't hurt anything.
Dead on! I completely agree. BTW, good pictures.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

I don't from the picture what those white things are but the green things are bubble alage.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Deb91
I don't from the picture what those white things are but the green things are bubble alage.
Haha I do realize that. It was much to my displeasure when I found it this morning in addition to the new "critter"