Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Las Vegas Valley Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2004, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

thanks
Old 09/12/2004, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

Hi all, my name is Adam and I have posted here a few times recently. I Was directed to the Las Vegas portion of this site by Amy after i noticed she was from vegas so I pmed her to say hello.

Anyway, my wife and I moved here from NY about 6 years ago so we could buy a house. Since them most of our families have followed along. We have a 2 year old daughter who loves the tank and now another one on the way. I am a pharmaceutical rep selling injectables for OA of the knee and my wife is a teacher.

Buy the way her elementary school just put in a 400 gallon tank that is supposedly going to be a reef. My wife has been put in charge of making an aquarium club as she is the one person with a salt tank at home. This way the daily chores get done by the kids and the tank isnt neglected. Needless to say her only involvment with ours is looking and I have only 8 months or so experience so we will lean on you guys for both the tanks. Ours is a 142 gallon which is built inbetween two walls where a bar used to be. It has running water but no RO unit yet so auto fill not hooked up yet.

We had a 55 gallon fresh water set up and wondered into ATM2 and they saw sucker on our faces told us how easy salt was and been hooked ever since. Imagine that, ATM was our first experience and we are still into the hobby. As I stated before my salt experience is about 10 months but with all the bad advice and wasted dollars we got from ATM its really about 5 months.

Looking forward to being an active member.

By the way Matt I think I met you in Jackies store(lfs) about two weeks ago and you told me about reef central. I was there with my daughter.

Adam
Old 09/12/2004, 02:02 AM
captain slacker

hey adam! welcome to the club~ it's a pleasure to have you. I'd be interested in seeing some of those pics of your 142gal in wall setup!
Old 09/12/2004, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Undone guy. rigth now the tank is kinda in a state of flux because the canopy is off as we try to find the best way to ventilate our lighting but I will post to see what you and others might think.

Adam
Old 09/12/2004, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

WELCOME ADAM!
Old 09/13/2004, 05:38 PM
TRC Leader

Adam, as I said before I am so glad to see you posting here. I hope when you have the chance you can make it to our meetings. If not this coming Sunday than next month. We are having Anthony Calfo speaking in Oct. He is a well respected leader in our hobby. That and a big ol beer drinker like the rest of us so it will be a blast I'm sure. Also some frags will be there for all to take part in.

Ryan, welcome to RC and to our forum. Very glad to have you with us and hope to see you post here often. As well as make our meetings.
Old 09/13/2004, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Amy I will be there in October for sure. Why would I pass up beer?

Adam
Old 09/16/2004, 12:17 AM
Premium Member

Hi Sin City folk.

My name is Kip and I hail from Colorado, although business takes me to Vegas quite often. I own a number of properties out there and planning to open an office there too. Does that count?

I know Amy, who is a gem, still drool over Mike's tank and agree that you have no good lfs. Tell me if you all want anything brought over from here. We do have a good number of those rare white acropora here.

Personally, I love your restaurants (food is a major hobby of mine) and the cabs that have womens butts on them. Try explaining that one to your kids..........

My love in our hobby is acros, clams and reefs. Setting up a pair of 500's and looking for all kinds of ideas on what not to do.

Kip
Old 09/16/2004, 04:43 AM
Registered Member

Welcome Kip! I would think part time vegas living counts!
Old 09/16/2004, 11:58 AM
dognapper

Welcome Kip!
Amy's said good things about you, i hope we'll be able to meet sometime.

jeff
Old 09/16/2004, 02:56 PM
TRC Leader

Kip, you big sweetheart! I'm glad you gave us an into. Looking forward to your next visit! Jeff is just like us and is a big sushi fan! We should all go out to eat if we can.

Old 09/19/2004, 03:29 AM
Registered Member

just saying hello

Hello, my name is Daniel,

I am 42 year old martial arts teacher /business owner,who can not at this time live by some awesome reef. So I deceided to build my own. I am not technicaly a las vegan, but it is the closest big city to me. I live in kingman az, But get to vegas every 2 weeks on business.

I have been reefing for about 3 yrs know and have run several nano tanks along with my current 29 and 75 gal reefs.

My new tank that I am currently setting up is a 225 custom built tank 72 x 30 x 23 euro braced that I came acrossed second hand.

My current tank is a garden variety type zoo's, lps, sps, ricodias, clams a few fish and a great looking rbta.

The new Tank will consist almost entirely of Montipora sps mostly caps. Along with my clams and ricordia and of course the RBTA and clowns. With the flow being surge tanks.

I am looking forward to the Oct meeting as I have meet jeff and he was just great.

I will be tearing down my 29 soon and getting rid of a lot of my zoo's and acros along with some fish and some small tanks. I will post a list later.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Regards Daniel
Old 09/19/2004, 01:37 PM
dognapper

Hey Daniel,
welcome aboard, glad to see you've found us.

personally, i'm looking forward to hearing your plans for that 225, more than what we've talked about the other night. surge tanks are cool!

j
Old 09/19/2004, 02:19 PM
TRC Leader

Hi & welcome Daniel!

Thanks for the great intro. I'm with Jeff, I'd love to hear about the 225! I hope you can make it to our next meeting Oct 17th. We have a guest speaker and we hope for a great turn out. If you can, are there any AZ reef clubs near by that you are a part of or you would think could make the trip to LV? I'd like to email them and give them a good invite as well.

Oh & getting rid of zoos eh? Umm... can you send me a PM if you do that?
Old 09/19/2004, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

hope you can make it to the meetings, daniel! sounds like you have loads of experience you can share wit the group. would like to see your surge design as well! wish i had the room for such a thing.

and i too would be very interested in some zoos!

our club is also having a frag swap in the coming months you may be interested in.

looking forward to meeting you some time in the near future...post some pics is you have 'em!

cheers,

dallas
Old 09/19/2004, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Hello everyone

I am not a Vegas resident, but I am looking forward to meeting people that enjoy this hobby. I live in St. George, Ut. My wife knew someone giving away a 200 gallon take 2 1/2 - 3 yrs ago, I wanted to start salt water at that point but she wanted to up grade our 30 gal fresh water. This tank was just too large for us at that time, boy I wish I had it now, so we traded it in on a 100 gal w/ stand and canopy. After 2 years of constant nagging and a trip to Grand Cayman I finally convinced her to let me convert our tank!

My tank has been set up now for 10 weeks. 3 chromis started my collection of fish, one poor little guy just died, 2 false percs and a lmb, a naso tang I just couldn't pass up, and new today a yellow watchman goby. 90 lbs of Fiji live rock and 1oo lbs of argonite provide the start of my reef.

Other critters that live with me are my wife Jen. Who I have been married to now for 4 1/2 years. Her baby Kramer, a 8 year old black lab mix. Our second child Ozzy, a four year old shepard mix that still thinks he is a puppy. Then we have our wild and wacky kits 4 ferrets 1 year and younger Lilu, Lugnuts, Mims, and Kletus. Since I wouldn't allow any of the "fun fish" Jen has set up FO tank for her puffers, we always have had puffers even during our fresh water stint. And her non reef safe wrasses.

Now for human children we currently have 1 17 year old foster child who is our 6th long time placement in 2.5 yrs. We do not have any of our own kids, yet.

I am 27 years old and work for a local excavation company where I am a project manager and estimator. I enjoy just about everything to do with the outdoors, cars, sports, and traveling(mostly for the food). My new found hobby of reefing and its search for as much info on reefing as I can get stuffed into my head seems to be taking most of my free time and money.

thanks for including my in your group I hope to meet all of you soon.

Mike
Old 09/20/2004, 12:35 AM
TRC Leader

Hi Mike! Again, great to have you posting here and thank you for the wonderful intro. Sounds like you have quite a zoo there! FWIW my shepherd thinks he is a puppy still too. I don't think they grow out of that ever.

I hope to see you at next months meeting if you can make the trip. Lots of info to stuff into your brain there! lol If not no worries, it will be good to get to know you here online. Post pictures if you can!
Old 09/22/2004, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Hi Mike and Daniel. Welcome to the group. I can say that the people here are great and I havent even met them yet.

Adam
Old 09/27/2004, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

The Original vegas "Hee"

Hello everyone my name is kevin. I am Jeff's younger brother and have been living in vegas for about 3 yrs. Previously I spent the first 23 years of my life in Hawaii.
My first experience with salt water fish was about 15 years ago where me and my brothers set up an eel tank at my moms workplace. To make a long story short we landed up with a brined eel. I then took up fish again 3 years ago. Now I have a 40 gallon tank that was home to several breeding seahorses and peppermint shrimp( Now home to amphipods) and a 100 gallon that is home to some dried up sand( Anyone want to buy it? Will sell for pretty cheap). My only living fish is a saddleback clown that is currently calling jeff's refugium home. As of late all my money is being spent on my car.
I am Chef at Nobhill which is a fine dining restaurant located in the MGM Grand. During the little free time I have I enjoy messing around with my car, cooking, watching Hawaii football, beating my bro at ncaa2k5, drinking beer, mojitos, screwdrivers,........ tequila, jack and cokes, well you get the idea.
Old 09/27/2004, 06:33 PM
TRC Leader

Hi Kevin! Good to see you posting here. I "think" the two of us traded a few PM's when Jeff was making the move here to Vegas.

Very cool that you were into keeping seahorses. That is something I am looking into trying soon. I might have some questions for you if you don't mind that?

Hope to meet you one day soon.
Amy
Old 09/27/2004, 08:16 PM
dognapper

Re: The Original vegas "Hee"

oh man, they let anyone on these boards huh? yes he's my brother. i usually deny it, but sometimes i feel compelled to admit to our genetic linkage.

j/k, kev. welcome aboard.

hurry up and get that 'pod farm started up again. i want you to take this clown back.
Old 09/28/2004, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Greetings, everyone! My name is Jim, and I moved to Vegas about a year ago. I'm really glad to see some activity in Vegas now. Unfortunately, I don't have a tank setup at the moment, I had to leave my 135 gallon setup in Arizona. But I'm saving up to get started again. Can't wait for the next meeting!
Old 09/28/2004, 03:20 PM
TRC Leader

Hi Jim and welcome to LVVR! Great to see you here. That must have been difficult, to leave your tank behind. Yet it will give you the time to plan out a whole new system when you are able. I find a lot of the fun in reef keeping is the research and planning of it all. I hope everyone here can help you out when you need it.

Very happy to hear you can make it to the next meeting! It should be a lot of fun!
Old 09/29/2004, 11:30 AM
dognapper

Hi Jim,
Welcome.

i hope you get a tank soon! other LVVR members have been pretty cool about posting used tanks for sale here so hopefully you'll find a good bargain.

jeff
Old 09/29/2004, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to all of the new members! I hope to see all of you at the next meeting!