Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Las Vegas Valley Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/04/2004, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

Hi Donna welcome to the club! To bad you didn't join here earlier, I could of given you a 29 w/ stand and glass top for FREE . Offer still stands to any las vegans who may want it!
Ron
Old 06/05/2004, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

Nevermind about the fish tank someone already got dibbs.
Also Matt, I'm reading between the lines here, but did you just volunteered to buy everyone drinks?
Old 06/05/2004, 02:47 AM
Premium Member

Whoa, thats some imagination you have there Ron!

Tell you what though, i'll get the first round, how's that.
Old 06/08/2004, 08:13 PM
TRC Leader

Ahh yes the meeting. In the works. Look for a post tonight or tomorrow at the latest!
Old 06/26/2004, 03:06 PM
captain slacker

hey everyone! my name is bobby. I was born in maryland, and moved to vegas when i was 5. I'll be 21 next month, and look forward to getting ID'ed for no reason at all.

My dad used to be in the military and has a 20 gallon fish tank from the phillipines that is encased in bamboo, when i was younger this was our freshwater tank until my little brother decided that the fish needed stronger bones and poured a glass of milk in the tank. My saltwater craving came last summer when I was taking Nevada History @ ccsn, and a requirement was that we visit some sort of museum and write a short essay on it. I went to the Las Vegas Natural History museum and fell in love with a green spotted moray eel named "goofy". After that i started visiting all the LFS's in town and was astonished at the cost. My first visit was F.I.S.H. on bruce, which didnt impress me too much, then some how i ended up at GVA. I was very impressed at how clean the place was compared to other fish stores, and met one of the employees who started to explain to me the processes of keeping a saltwater tank. Shortly thereafter i found reefcentral and started reading like a madman. I re-built the 20 gallon bamboo aquarium with new glass and resealed it all up (the bottom was broken). It took a while but i got the cycle all done (after losing 4 damsels, should of found reefcentral sooner!) and everything is running great in it. In that tank i currently have 2 false percula's and a bi-color blenny. Most of the hermits and snails have died off, so i hope to restocking that tank soon.

One visit to ATM on rainbow and rampart made me fall in love with the Zebra Moray Eel which then became my desired pet. I knew the 20 gallon was too small for it, so i went on my search for a larger tank. Well with my luck, a 55gallon hex fell right into my lap with a built in overflow. I had no idea what the overflow was for or what to do with it, nor did i have a stand. So again i began to read like a madman and I almost have the tank ready to go Live. Shortly after aquiring the tank Adam from GVA called me and told me that my Zebra Eel was in. I went and checked him out, and he was perfect. The only problem was that he wasn't eating...so i left him at the LFS for 2 weeks, then decided to bring him home before someone else snatched him up. I brought him home and introduced him to his new 10 gallon quarantine tank =/ This was in late february I believe, and now the bioblock is growing a beautiful purple corraline algae on it. Although my eel isnt too happy in my quarantine, he's eating well, even from my hand~. So 3 months later and too much money, the stand was completed. The entire stand and sump is custom built and tiled (pictures comming soon!). I recently just started ordering all of the components for the system after the plumbing was complete. The system will be running a RemoraC Urchin protein skimmer, a Mag7 return pump, and a Maxijet 1200 powerhead. I ran into some extra money and decided that i might as well go all out and get decent lighting so i could keep small corals and the such, so i just received my 4x55w PC's in the mail, and i'm finishing up the canopy as we speak.

I am the Tech Supervisor @ Best Buy on maryland parkway, so any computer problems i'll be happy to help =) I also build webpages...do i hear word of a LVVR website?

Im currently going to college full time (im one science credit away from my Associates of Science, which i'm taking currently in summerschool) to persue my bachelors in Physics, and hopefully one day move on to a degree in Astrophysics....yes, i did say astrophysics=)

Its nice to see we have some sort of Reef Organazation going on here in vegas, just in time too it seems=)

i think thats it...
Old 06/26/2004, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Nice intro! You'll fit right in with the broad base personalities we already have. Also when your 21 let us know, and the older fellas and I will take care of you! (this includes any ladies that might want to join in also)
Old 06/27/2004, 04:33 AM
dognapper

Hi Bobby,
Welcome to the club.

sorry you didn't find us in time for our first meeting, hope to see you at our second. we're going to try to meet every 3rd sunday of each month.

thanks for the offer helping to build the website. we're still a ways from getting a site up, but i'll keep you in mind when it comes time for development.

jeff
Old 06/27/2004, 09:12 PM
TRC Leader

I second Ron. great intro. Again great to have you with us Bobby!
Old 07/01/2004, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Aye what's going on! Looks like I'm the only Vegas native here aye? Well I'm Jeff, I've lived in vegas all but 2 years of my 24 years here! My wife got me into fish with a 10g fresh water tank and has regretted it since. Maybe that's why we're seperated now? Ah well! I have 2 wonderful boys, 18 months and 4 weeks now, which is killing me not being able to see them! I set up a tank for my father-in-law a year and a half ago and have yet to set up my own! I buy tanks and upgrade them before I set them up. Which by the way I have an 85g, drilled w/corner overflow and a 50 non drilled, for a sump, that i'm looking to get rid of if anyone is interested! hint..hint.. Anyways I work 2 jobs, 70 hours a week, to try to support my saltwater habit but doesn't leave too much time for setting them up! I work in pharmacy so if you need some drugs, go get a script and then we can talk! Let me know about any meeting times and places and if i'm not working I'll drop by.

Jeff
Old 07/01/2004, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Ahh, a second Jeff, glad you stoped by.
Are you a technician or a pharmacist? I also work in a pharmacy, Medco. We need to have this second meeting to meet all the new people!
Old 07/01/2004, 12:39 PM
dognapper

Hi Jeff,
Glad you decided to join us. we're trying to have regular meetings on the 3rd Sunday of each month, which would be July 18th.

I hope your personal life straightens itself out soon.

j
Old 07/01/2004, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

What department at medco? I'm a tech!
Old 07/01/2004, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Dude is your name Jeffrey Boadu. Only Jeff that I know.
Old 07/01/2004, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Nope! I have no idea who that is! How long have you worked here?
Old 07/01/2004, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Lets PM this is an intro thread. BTW 5 yrs
Old 07/01/2004, 07:54 PM
TRC Leader

Glad to have you with us Jeff! If you would like, please PM me with your name and email address. We hope to have a news letter soon to send out, and I can also give you a reminder for events and meetings.

Hope to meet you soon.
Old 07/22/2004, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

hi all!

this is my second attempt to make this post....the first seems to have ended in a reefcentral breakdown.

anyway, i have had aquariums for most of my life. i have written a pretty detailed personal history on the lvmas.org site here. the pics are from about 8 months ago...i have added a few additions since then!

i am excited by the activity on this forum and hopefully this carries over to the club as well. i am striving to attend the meeting this weekend and hope that through both local clubs, the needs of the local reefers can be met.

thanks again,

dallas
Old 07/22/2004, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Dallas,

Glad your gonna make it on Sunday, look forward to meeting you!
Old 07/31/2004, 03:56 AM
Registered Member

Hi My name is Dusty, my husband who doesnt post things to message boards because he has me to do it is John.

I was born in CO and moved to Vegas when I was 6, I will be 32 this month, yep old lady I know it. Nope I dont like vegas but where am I going to live that doesnt have local/state tax's and low bug population? I am a house wife and also make/sell necklaces for small dogs on the net. We have 2 small dogs and no human children. I am also a pic addict, I love to take them and to see them so if you want pics I can do and if you have any I wana see em I dont care what they are of either! Oh and I have a sad excuse for a digi cam right now.

John was born in Vietnam and moved here when he was 5, he is now 33. He works as a machine operator for a paper product making company. We dont really know what he would be called so we just describe what he does that way.

I have loved sea life for as long as I can remember, but my parents didnt like any kind of pets. When I was 16 I got my first 10g fresh tank and after having 5 tanks of different sizes I realized I was bored with fresh and wanted salt but didnt know how to change over since I was told over and over how very hard it was to keep SW fish. After sending half of my tanks off with my X, I went to just one tank. Then after getting engaged to my current hubby we decided to stop the fresh and get a sw because he really loved the sw fish and corals. I introduced him to the life of keeping fish! muhahaha

We picked out a seaclear system 2 becuase we liked that everything was hidden and all set up for us. Yes we got advice from various LFS and LPS, bad idea but I didnt know anyone who kept SW. Then things got worse, we didnt do very well at picking out fish to keep or inverts, because after 3 1/2 years we had one killer butterfly and one killer red hermit.( I got marine fish book but too late in the game.) The fish and crab would work together to kill other fish, even turning over decorations so the fish couldnt hide from them. So we stopped getting fish till these had passed on, the crab was eaten by the fish and the fish died just a few months ago after a large water change. So here we are changing to reef. I have the corals book by Bonerman(sp?). I have ordered a few more and am just waiting for them to arrive.
Currently we have in our 26 show tank: 30LR 20LS, aqua c remora with maxijet1200, a maxijet 1200 and a seasweep in main part of tank, 2 fire fish, many snails and 3 emerald crabs and maybe a porcelain crabs since we havent seen him in a long time, some Zoa's and ric's, and hairy shrooms (we think) and some unidentified possilbe ric or shroom, and a gorgonian fan of some kind. we also are in process of makeing our wet/dry area of the back tank into a refuge with some mixed macro and LR.

I guess the only other things you should know about me is that I dont check my spelling or grammer, and I use shortened spellings of words frequently, so just sound em out and you will get it
Our only other obsessions are computers/electronics, Chihuahuas, and games, we even met playing EQ ( a game).
Also we change from days to nights every other month so we will come to meetings if John is off that day and we are awake lol. We missed the last one because we over slept.
Old 07/31/2004, 01:41 PM
dognapper

Hey Dusty,
Glad you decided to introduce yourself. please try to come to our next meeting. you'll find that we're all a pretty laid back group of people who just like hanging out and relating to each other's addition to the hobby

have a great weekend,
jeff
Old 07/31/2004, 04:51 PM
TRC Leader

Hi Dusty.

Thank you for the intro. I'm glad you are into photography, it's a big love of mine. Just as Jeff said I too hope you can make it to a meeting soon and hang out. We are a relaxed fun group.

Amy
Old 08/02/2004, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Welcome and nice intro!!
Old 09/11/2004, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

hello my name is Ryan
im am 22 years old and i moved to vegas in 96 i came from san diego where i was born

Ive had fw tanks as long as i could rember probably 9 years old i had a 100 gal filled with just anything i liked, angle fish oscars tigerbarbs frogs fresh water puffers and fire belly newts all the usual stuff but every thing that your not supposed to mix but amazingly every thing worked out ever since i was about 15 i wanted a salt water tank and never had the currage until recently . but with much research i jumped into it ive had a 20 gal reef tank running for 5 months and i also have a 60 tank with a banded cat shark that i didnt want but couldnt pass up because of the price and a fw chichlid tank

I am a tile and marble contractor my other interests are cars and bikes
Old 09/11/2004, 07:53 AM
captain slacker

hey ryan nice to have ya!

oh and dusty, i never read that post, i played eq for like 3 years! (now im hooked on the eq2 beta) haha thats crazy!
Old 09/11/2004, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

WELCOME RYAN!