Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/11/2006, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

only snails die!

i can not figure it out still
Sg 1.25
amon 0
rite 0
rate 3
ph 8.2-8.3
temp 78-80
alk ?
cal ?
100# LR
140# LS

90g tank has been up and running for about 8 weeks i have 2 damsels 2 clowns 2 cleaner shrimp 2 emerald crabs i have tried mexican turbos and astrea and so far only 1 astrea has survived i dont have that much alge on the glass but somtimes the snails dont even survive past 36 hours i stuck my hand in the water and it doesnt seem to have stray current im pretty sure that not many people pay attention to thier snails but man this is mind boggleing!!!
Old 05/11/2006, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

Are you acclimating them? If so how and for how long?

Is the Nitrate .30? If so that could be your problem.
Old 05/11/2006, 02:45 AM
Registered Member

I think snails need more time for acclimation. I lost the first snail too , because i hurried with its acclimation. Turns out that the drip method is safest and the best. I learnt my lesson anyways. I do have now 4-5 snails cleaning around peacefully.

Also , they are sensitive to copper based medication.
Old 05/11/2006, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

i acclimate them for 1 hour and the nitrate is at about 3 ppm i think how would it be a problem 1 snail survived and i have fish?
Old 05/11/2006, 02:54 AM
a Buffer fish

the problem is that snails are very sensitive to rapid changes in salinity.Its recommended to allow 2 hours for every .01 of sg difference.So if you have say 1.024 and the lfs is at 1.025, allow 2 hours of dripping your water inside. Also phophate can inhibit calcification, wich can cause them to not grow with their shell.Whats your phosphates?
Old 05/11/2006, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Emerald crabs imho like the taste snails. I have seen emeralds in my tank rip apart the occasional turbo for a little snack. Just a thought.

Here's to those before us, those of us, and those after us............
Old 05/11/2006, 06:44 AM
Gene Pool Lifeguard

I would check for one of the following:

1. Copper
2. Stray current (cue the debate for grounding probes)
3. A crab or other animal that has developed a taste for snails

You said your tank has been running for 8 weeks. Have you introduced any live rock? Maybe there is a slight chance you may have also introduced a mantis with the LR?

But if the snails are just flat out dying and not disappearing (and not incurring any wounds) I would check the tank for copper.

Good luck!

"A Closed Mouth Gathers No Foot" - Unknown

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05/11/2006, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

I had the same problem at first with snails, I never lost anything in my tank, but put some snails in there and 9 out of 10 would die. After about 30 snails I relized my tank was to cold. You shouldnt have a problem with your tank being 78 to 80 degrees, I would check the temp and make sure its really around 80. That and the next time you buy some snails take a few hours while introducing them to the tank.
Old 05/11/2006, 11:12 AM
Team RC Member

Yes---don't trust just one thermometer. Have 2, of different type, and compare readings. The second one can be one of those little strips on the sump wall...they're good for a fast glance.

But the acclimation is critical. Find out the salinity at your favorite lfs and check your own. You might consider running the same salinity if there are no other considerations.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 05/11/2006, 11:49 AM
Got Salt?

Yikes i threw in 12 snalis in my tank after a 15 min aclimation, Float it for 15 mins while adding water to the bag every 5 mins.

Then just dumped them in..

I've not lost a thing yet?

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 05/11/2006, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

funman: I think I've read threads where other people actually successfully keep snails without acclimating them for too long.
Old 05/11/2006, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

i might have to check for copper because i dont see anything else wrong with it if there is copper is there a way to get rid of it?
Old 05/11/2006, 12:27 PM
Gene Pool Lifeguard

Yes you can get rid of most or all of it, but it will take some time since you have a decent amount of live rock in there. You can try using these:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

There are no guarantees that you will get it all, but it's worth a shot. Some could have gotten into your LR, silicone, etc. and it could take a while before it leaches out (if it ever does).

Did you buy this tank new or get it from a previous owner?

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05/11/2006, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

previous owner i got it home and cleaned it and resilicon it with silicon II doors and windows
Old 05/11/2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

I do not agree with acclimation being an issue and here is why. I only ever hang the snail bag and let the temps equalize throw one cup of water into the bag and then toss the Astrea in the main tank.

I have not lost one yet. I would like to state that this method worked for me. I am not suggesting anyone try this at home. Just sharing why I dont agree with acclimation being the issue.
Old 05/11/2006, 01:12 PM
Gene Pool Lifeguard

That silicone might be the culprit if it has any kind of anti-mildew agents or anything like that. Check the tube.

Old 05/11/2006, 01:22 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I have a feeling the main culprit has already been mentioned somewhere above. But, just in case NONE of those are it, you might want to look around for Pyramid Snails. They are Molusk Eaters and prey on things like clams, scallops, and snails.
Old 05/11/2006, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

no cant be pyramid snails tank is new i dont see how anti mildew agent can effect snails
Old 05/11/2006, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I float for 30mins and drop them in the tank. Haven't lost a single snail to it. I know plenty others in my area that don't float just drop them in. I got a couple of snails when I bought a used sump that was empty with a little gravel in it. When I hosed it off snails were crawling along the drive way and I dropped them in the tank and they have been fine ever since.
Old 05/11/2006, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Do you have any hermit crabs?
Some hermit crabs have been known to eat snails then rob their shell.
Id be testing for kh and ca as well.
Paul.