Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 05/12/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Neat thread!

Great pics!

Nice dog! Shiba Inu, perhaps? I have an Akita.

Sugar Gliders are neat. I breed and show chinchillas. Sugar Gliders, IIRC, are illegal here in GA.
Old 05/12/2007, 07:05 PM
May God save us from Ich

Nice part about that "light stand" is that you can run the cords inside the pvc.

Looks Great!!!
Old 05/12/2007, 08:02 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by joeyjoeq
Nice idea with the PVC. So the corals were bleaching? Could it be they need to be acclimated to the new lights? I'm blasting some mushrooms at the top of the tank hoping they will go away, but they dont look like they want to die
haha poor mushrooms. Yea, it's the new bulbs in the fixture. They were much brighter or more PAR or something it only took a day or so and it really affected our corals.
Old 05/12/2007, 08:03 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
I don't remember Wilson revealing anything worth a moment of pondering, hope you don't take it the wrong way NanoGurl, cuz you do have a very nice reef tank
Thanks
Old 05/12/2007, 08:11 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by rjwilson37
I have noticed two things though NanoGurl, your not really doing Nano's anymore, your hitting the big time now with MH and getting above the 30-40 gallon mark.

The other thing is that, your like Wilson from Home Improvement. We never really see your face in all the pictures of you working on the tank, your face is never in view.
haha I'm Nano Gurl bc I'm 5'4 and 100 pounds :P I like nano tanks a lot too though, will probably set one up sometime.

Too many pervs for too much of me floating around the net
Old 05/12/2007, 08:14 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyPx
"The other thing is that, your like Wilson from Home Improvement. We never really see your face in all the pictures of you working on the tank, your face is never in view."

So true, but you know why she does this ???

All of the single guys would want to steal her away from her boyfriend. They think .......Hmmm... A nice woman who looks good and is into reefing.... I'd like to go out with her

Anyhow, just joking and the tank is looking great Nano. I built a 60 gallon cube (24 x 24 x 24) and have the Solaris LED lights on them. I personally love them (especially where it simulates cloudy days, moon cycles, etc). I live in Florida so the lower power draw and especially the lower heat produced were a big deal for me.

Now that being said, I would say that they are more powerful than PCs, but less than MH.
haha I've had a few RC offers :P

Thanks Yea, the light control options would be a lot of fun to play with. I think Solaris is very cool and I'm excited about the LED future. How are your corals doing under it?
Old 05/12/2007, 08:16 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
You mean they don't already?
haha
Old 05/12/2007, 08:33 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by TRITON1
Looking good. I have a 75g too and have considered upgrading to MH or possibly T-5's. Did you consider T-5 as an option? I see you went with the 150W - Would you recommend the same to me? What kind of bulbs do you have and do you plan on using any actinic supplementation?

And what about that Liveaquaria update........ (as if enought hasn't been posted for one day)
Thanks

I would def not go with 250's unless you are keeping a lot of high light corals. Also depends on what type of canopy you have, but the 150's are more then enough I think.

I did consider T5's a lot. But in the end, I really like the shimmering with MH's and the look that you just can't get with anything else I don't think.

We thought about adding two T5's for actinic supplementation, but instead we switched to Phoenix 14ks and that was enough of a change for us for now. It's a perfect balance of brightness and blue, without the 20k look. Very happy with the Phoenix bulbs.
Old 05/12/2007, 08:34 PM
Girls Rule!

Oh yea live update later tonight I promise. Sorry it's just been so busy.
Old 05/12/2007, 08:40 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamerTheresa
Neat thread!

Great pics!

Nice dog! Shiba Inu, perhaps? I have an Akita.

Sugar Gliders are neat. I breed and show chinchillas. Sugar Gliders, IIRC, are illegal here in GA.
Thanks Yes, he's a Shiba Inu. Small in statue, large in heart

Awww.. your chinchillas are soooo cute Porsche is just a little hottie!
Old 05/12/2007, 08:41 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by DouglasTiede
Nice part about that "light stand" is that you can run the cords inside the pvc.

Looks Great!!!
Thanks!
Old 05/12/2007, 09:32 PM
Girls Rule!

Saturday Update!

We got the pvc stand painted black last night and it dried overnight. It came out pretty good and looks a lot better then the white did. I also bought black chains but I didn't buy enough to match and get rid of the silver chains in the pic.

My tank is now pimped out. RC, Pimp my tank! lol (does anyone get this)

Back in place.

Higher view.

Front tank shot.
Old 05/12/2007, 09:35 PM
clownfish fan

looks great is that a Powder blue? very nice
Old 05/12/2007, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Saturday Update!

My tank is now pimped out. RC, Pimp my tank! lol (does anyone get this)
The "R" to the "C" ---officially been pimped!

The light frame looks great and I hope that your corals colour back up soon. Great job!

I know what you mean about your dog. I spent about an hour today brushing out the winter undercoat from my two Black Lab/Husky mixes. When I was finished, it looked like a dog had exploded in my backyard!
Old 05/12/2007, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

I take it that PBT has something to do with that LiveAquaria order....... Let me know who he does and the quality from LA - I have always wanted one but have been scared off by their reputation (with Ich and whatnot.)

Trying to learn everything about something and something about everything...
Old 05/12/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Let me know how those MH affect your tanks temperature too. Thats one thing I am afraid of - I do NOT want to buy a chiller.
Old 05/12/2007, 11:16 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
looks great is that a Powder blue? very nice
Thanks Yea I'm going to upload some photos soon. I'm worn out trying to get the motivation to actually do something besides sit here.
Old 05/12/2007, 11:17 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by REHEM
The "R" to the "C" ---officially been pimped!

The light frame looks great and I hope that your corals colour back up soon. Great job!

I know what you mean about your dog. I spent about an hour today brushing out the winter undercoat from my two Black Lab/Husky mixes. When I was finished, it looked like a dog had exploded in my backyard!
Thanks

lol.. i'm sure! After I give my dog a bath I think he loses about 10 pounds in fur.
Old 05/12/2007, 11:20 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by TRITON1
Let me know how those MH affect your tanks temperature too. Thats one thing I am afraid of - I do NOT want to buy a chiller.
I think that mainly depends again on your canopy, light setup and your room temps. If your tank room gets hot during summer or even winter, you might need a chiller. My temps have been great so far with the MH.

I agree, I don't want to buy a chiller either.
Old 05/13/2007, 01:47 AM
Girls Rule!

Live Aquaria Update!

Okay, sorry everyone for taking so long to update this. I placed an order this week from Live Aquaria for some stuff. I had ordered my zebra eel from them previously from the Divers Den section and was very happy with the quality of what I got.

So we decided to order again! We ordered a Purple Firefish, Fire Shrimp, some blue legs and a baby PBT. They all arrived via FedEx on Friday and everyone looked pretty good. The PBT had some scrapes which I wasn't real impressed with, but other then that things looked good enough.

Package arrives! The stuff on the carpet is algae from a LR. I cleaned it up :P

Everything was packaged very well.

Here is the purple firefish. This is the only time I've seen it lol. It's been hiding since it went into the tank.

The PBT and shrimp came in blacked out bags.
Old 05/13/2007, 01:56 AM
Girls Rule!

The fire shrimp was a beautiful red color. Funny thing, when I opened up the bag to peek at him, I saw two red spots. I thought they sent me two, but upon closer inspection he had just molted!

I see two red spots!

Just a molt!

Hanging out on the rocks.
Old 05/13/2007, 05:34 AM
Premium Member

I bought 3 fish from them and they all died I got a pipefish which got sucked into a powerhead. A purple psuedochromis that hid and never came out and i just assume after 2 weeks it was dead. The third fish was a pink banded goby which jumped out. I will say they were very good about giving me store credit. But Im thinking of takeing the Tridacna Clam Pack sale instead of fish this time. Though I really like the clown tangs too much good stuff on their site lol
Old 05/13/2007, 05:58 AM
Premium Member

Beautiful, NanoGurl! I like your taste in livestock.

I don't remember exactly what the story was, but you might keep an eye on the Blue Legged Hermits. I believe that they can be a nuissance for corals or something---my LFS won't even carry them in her store anymore. Like I said, I don't remember why this is, but I will ask her when I go up there today.

I love Firefish. One of my cyber reef buddies, Dtking, has a Purple Firefish pair:

I love their furrowed frowns!!!
Old 05/13/2007, 08:28 AM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyPx
"The other thing is that, your like Wilson from Home Improvement. We never really see your face in all the pictures of you working on the tank, your face is never in view."

So true, but you know why she does this ???

All of the single guys would want to steal her away from her boyfriend. They think .......Hmmm... A nice woman who looks good and is into reefing.... I'd like to go out with her
I just had to laugh at that i think anyone here would go with 'a hot reefer' i know i would (if she was single of course) or worked at the lfs (discount anyone .)
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 05/13/2007, 01:06 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by karlmarx
I bought 3 fish from them and they all died I got a pipefish which got sucked into a powerhead. A purple psuedochromis that hid and never came out and i just assume after 2 weeks it was dead. The third fish was a pink banded goby which jumped out. I will say they were very good about giving me store credit. But Im thinking of takeing the Tridacna Clam Pack sale instead of fish this time. Though I really like the clown tangs too much good stuff on their site lol
Aww.. sorry to hear about your stuff. The clam pack would be cool, but I always kill clams They were good about it too when we had a problem with the lights we ordered. Very happy with their CS which is why we went back.

Though we did have some problems with the PBT which I'll update tonight. I didn't get a chance last night RC cut me off.