Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

Does anyone around here use a chiller?

I know this is a strange question to ask when the temperature is about 10 degrees outside right now, but I am thinking about this summer. Most of the tanks that I have seen are in the basement or a central living area, so does everyone just keep them cool with AC? My tank is in the wall between the living room and an add-on sunroom and the temperature fluctuations are much greater than in most of the rest of the house. Any suggestions? I just connected a 120 gal to my 125 gal with about a 50 gal sump.
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 01/02/2008, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

I added some very efficient, but very quiet, fans to my hood and my temp stays stable.

Many of your fellow reefers here do have chillers though.

"Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face."

Mike Tyson
Old 01/02/2008, 11:53 AM
SMBS

I run a chiller, 1/10 horse Pacific Coast. I run quiet a bit of light on a small tank. I split the feed from my main return pump to feed it. I plan on venting its exhaust outside before next summer. The chiller is a nice safety feature if the AC goes out or my wife randomly turns it off

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 01/02/2008, 12:12 PM
Team RC Member

I do but I never needed it until I ran 400 watt bulbs. It still doesn't kick on that often. It really only gets used in the spring/fall when it's not hot enough for much a/c and not cold enough for heat.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:14 PM
Master of my domain

I have a DYI chiller that I have been trying to sell off and on. Its a marineland lobster chiller, meant to chill (in fact it did at one time) the lobster tanks you see in the supermarket. I'd like to get $100 for it if interested LMK.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:20 PM
phins are on the clock

I use the same one as reeferhead. Works great for me. I hasn't ran for a while do to the cold temps outside. In the summer it does run more.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:27 PM
Team RC Member

Same chiller I'm using, just still in the lobster tank. That chiller is made to take 120 gallons + lower depressed sump volume down into the 40's! It would cool even Nook's tanks.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

I added mine this summer. 1/3HP on a 100 gal tank. Way overkill but it was cheap... Temp is stable at 80F.

BK

Albert Einstein
Old 01/02/2008, 10:51 PM
Unregistered Member

I use a JBJ and it does fine at 78 at all times. I like the backup in case a heater goes crazy. Spooda I will send a PM as I am interested in doing a cold water tank.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:54 PM
Unregistered Member

PM sent
Old 01/02/2008, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Chiller

Thanks for all the input so far on a chiller, on the 2 coldest days of the winter. I guess I should get one before summer, especially before vacation. Hopefully I'll see some of you at Beldts/pizza tomorrow.
Bruce
Old 01/03/2008, 08:48 AM
Lost in Space

I have one that I used as a safety net. It was set to come on at 83 and I set the heaters at 78. Normal temp. variation in the tank was 78 to 82 and occasionally 83. In nature the temps vary daily and I tried to recreate this in the tank. I don't follow the stable temp policy as it takes away the corals ability to handle temp variations when they do happen. They will happen too...Ameren makes sure of that.

And the more I know, the less I understand
All the things I thought I'd figured out
I have to learn again