Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2005, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

sun coral dying?

I have a sun coral that seems to be dying. It still seems to open every night and feeds well but about 5 or 6 polyps out of the 30 or so; seem to be loosing flesh and the skeleton is coming through. What might be the most likely causes? All water tests are good as well as temp and salinity. I have some chromis, percula, and a coral beauty. Possibly nippng at it? Anyone have any ideas or thoughts I really don't want to lose this coral it is one of the better suns I've seen.
Thanks
Genie
Old 08/12/2005, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

What are you feeding it?

How long have you had it?

Can you post your param. readings?
Old 08/12/2005, 08:00 PM
Non Premium Member

As i'm sure you have already been told, sun corals are almost impossible to keep alive in an aquarium. He probably isn't getting enough food. You have to feed him 2 or 3 times a day with mysys or brine, using a cup oof some kind to hold the food over him while he eats. They also don't like light, and thier natural position is hanging upside down under a ledge. The problem there is that in an aquarium, it is impossible to get food to them when upside down and in a dark place. They are also very picky about the water conditions. If you feed them like they need fed, unless you have a very large tank, you are going to have a hard time keeping the water clean enough for him.
Old 08/12/2005, 08:00 PM
Moved On

IN addition to those Qs

Where is it in the tank?

Do you have a decent current going over it?

How old is your tank?

Is it near any other corals?

What other fish are in your tank?

What are you using for filtration?

What are you using to test your params? If you're using a test kit and a plastic hydrometer they could be way off.
Old 08/12/2005, 08:02 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by dugg
As i'm sure you have already been told, sun corals are almost impossible to keep alive in an aquarium.
I've read that many species can be pretty hardy so long as you feed them correctly (which few people do). It's recommended that you soak brine shrimp in selco or some other such enrichment suppliment.

Also, i don't think it's true that they don't like light. In the Corals book, it says they don't mind light.

It would be helpful to know what species it is. There are some sun corals that do really bad in aquariums no matter what you do (like the black sun corals)... but from what I understand, the orange cup corals can do pretty well with the right care.
Old 08/12/2005, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

i feed them mysis,brine,or plankton. I use salifert test kits and a refractometer. My flow is good and the sun coral is under a ledge with not too much lighting. I find it quite easy to feed but can only feed it once a day when it is open. I have had it for about three months and it was doing very well until about seven days ago.
Old 08/12/2005, 08:22 PM
Moved On

Maybe you could try feeding it some enriched brine shrimp. If you can't find enriched, try spirulina fed brine shrimp.
Old 08/12/2005, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Make a feeding hat and feed it a mix of Mysis and cyclopeeze. You do not have to feed it 2-3 daily but you do have to feed it every day for about 30 mins. Do a search about sun corals and CakePro <----- expert in sun corals IMO. Once you put a little bit of food in the feding hat in about 10 mins all he polyps will be out. Hurry!!!!!!!
Old 08/12/2005, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Here is another good link from Melev about Sun Corals.

HTH
Old 08/12/2005, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Sun corals (I am assuming we are talking about Tubastrea sp.) are not photosynthetic, and therefore do not need to be in direct light. This much most people already know.

But just because it does not NEED light, does not mean that it does not "LIKE" light, or for that matter, "Dislikes" light.

Much like Dendronephthya sp. corals that are strictly aposymbiotic and do not use light as a source of energy/food, these "sun corals" are located in areas where most other corals cannot survive (in low or no-light areas) and therefore more nutrients can be found floating in the water column since there is less demand/less corals to consume the nutrients.

One of the most important factors is waterflow, not "shade". I have had my Tubastrea sp. for over a year now at the top of my tank under PC's since this is the best area for waterflow in my tank and the polyps are extended 100% better compared to other places (I also tried to place it under overhangs with less waterflow). If you have found a place in your tank that has extremely good flow while still under an overhang, then you may be able to immitate its "natural" environment. If not, then just try to find the place with the best flow in your tank, and it should do fine (as long as you feed daily as well).

FYI- I directly feed my sun coral with a turkey baster- Enriched brine, mysis, plankton- once a day in the morning before the lights come on, and the polyps extend the other two times I feed the tank in the evening (sometimes getting some food then as well).

Good Luck
Old 08/12/2005, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

By the way, the list of fish that you have does not seem to be the cause (unless of course you actually see them pick at the coral).

In fact, this coral is pretty resistant to "fish picking" as can be seen if you were to watch my Yellow longnose butterflyfish if he sees any mysis shriimp tails hanging out. Sometimes when trying to just "steal" the food from the coral, my butterfly will actually pluck a piece of the polyp out, but with no detrimental effect on the coral. Within a matter of days, the missing piece has grown back. Obviously, this does not happen too often though. If it did, then I would consider the "feeding hat" that was mentioned above.
Old 08/12/2005, 10:07 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by gofor100

But just because it does not NEED light, does not mean that it does not "LIKE" light, or for that matter, "Dislikes" light.

One of the most important factors is waterflow, not "shade".

FYI- I directly feed my sun coral with a turkey baster- Enriched brine

Yep... exactly like it says in the book.
Old 08/12/2005, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

I dont really claim to be an expert on sun corals but Ive had mine since ive had my tank and the colony is 5x's the original size. mine are out on the sand bed under 2-250w metal halides, the only thing I know for sure is you have to feed the heck out of them. i feed them once a day at night but i give them alot. i cut a pop bottle and put it around the colony and pump in brine shrimp with a baster. they can be kept but i admitt it is a pain in the you know what. Ive also heard if they start to die they are basically doomed. again i dont knwo for sure just that mine are doing great