Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2006, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

It says mortar/stucco mix. I recall adding some silica sand, just a little bit. I think you can use it as is because it has silica sand in it already. I'll post pic os materials later. Gosh, it's been a long time since I've done it. I actually have a smaller poiece that was left unfinished (got lazy). But guys, this cement that I used seems to cure more easily than the regular grey cement and I did not have that silica residue in the curing barrel (I used the RO/DI dirty water to cure it) like I had with the grey cement. To test the right consistency, try to roll the mix in your 2 palms. If it you can roll it and form a cylindrical shape, then you're ready to have fun with it. Hmm, do u guys really want me to post pics on how to do it? I'm busy during the weekdays. I dunno if I can.
Old 12/03/2006, 07:08 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

I think I know what you're talking about. I just got some stucco mix at HD and mixed it, and it does seem to be more managable than just the regular portland cement. You can form it into shapes and it stays put till it hardens. The whole bubble wrap idea is a really great way to get those jagged shaped holes/caves. I think this might be the best DIY rock recipe yet!

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
-Lord Peter Wimsey, "Gaudy Night"
Old 12/03/2006, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Cool, did u get the white one? Are you starting your project now? Another tip: when forming a base when you start, use some styrofoam peanuts (is that what u call it?) then place the cement on top. This way your rock will be lighter. You can remove the peanuts when it dries or you can leave them there. Make the cement a little thicker with each layer for strength. Make sure it is totally dry and remove the bubble wrap before you do the next layer. Be random and experiment with fancy shapes. Turn it sideways to make sort of a bent shape. Have fun. .
Old 12/03/2006, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Are you sure the stucco mix won't leach anything into the water??
Old 12/03/2006, 07:42 PM
On "The List"

Without a empty stucco stack in front of me, but having emptied more than my share. I would venture that the only difference between mortar mix and stucco mix is there is more lime in the stucco mix. The lime adds "stickyness" to the mix, stucco is typically applied to walls.
I would check labels side by side to be sure.

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/03/2006, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

I have seen significantly more leaching in the grey cement. My tubs were crusted with the dry precipitate of that leach from the grey cement. This did not happen when I used the white mortar/stucco mix. If in doubt, don't use it. You see the finished product in my tank. I used it in making my arc too. It is starting to get covered with coralline algae. That was one big and heavy piece despite a hollow plastic hose and bubble wraps in the center of it. That one has no crevices, just shelves.
Old 12/03/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Are the stucco mix and Type S the same??
Old 12/03/2006, 10:53 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

I think type S is "high strength" cement, but I dont know if that means it has lime or what. I was actually wondering what the diffence between stucco and cement was, other than the extra sand. I also couldnt find the white stucco cement, it was all grey. Anyone know what the difference between the grey and white stuff is?

Whisperer, is that Sakcrete basically sand and mortar? There was at least three different types of stucco I saw. I tried the one that seemed like it was basically sand and cement. Others seemed to have something kinda plastic/styrofoam like, and more coarse.

Old 12/03/2006, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

cool ideas!
Old 12/04/2006, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Ok, Here's the one I used.

BTW, I would like to apologize to Travis for what seems like a hijack. I prolly should have started my own thread. Did not expect that much response on my stuff.
Old 12/04/2006, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Whisperer.. Your rocks look great!!!! How long before they started getting covered with corralline??? I hope mine come out as nice as your did...
Old 12/05/2006, 01:40 AM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

just took the bubble wrap out of mine, boy i would have never expected, but they looked REAL nice! Very happy! They actually dried to almost white. Very hard and durable, and the nooks and caves came out nice. Will definitely use this one for some bigger pieces!! Thanks for the great idea!

ps, if you cant find the Sakcrete at HD, which may be a regional thing, I got "Rapid Set" Stucco Mix, which appears to be the same. It has a grey sandy texture, but dries almost white. Very realistic rockwork. There's some other stucco mixes which have a "popcorn" feel to them, which may or may not work or harden well for making rock structures out of. Just my observations from trying a few different mixes.

Old 12/05/2006, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Cool, let us see some pics when ur done with ur baby project. Remember, release your creativity. Experiment with shapes.
Holmez, I had that arc since July but I added some 20 lbs of live rock in mid- to late August to seed my tank with. The coralline is starting to take off. There are small patches on all sides of the arc.
Old 12/07/2006, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

How long should i expect my rock to finish raising the ph? I just put them in a freshwater creek thas has a good current with ph of 6.6 (better than my tap water which is 8) Anyone cure them this way? how long should i wait?
Old 12/07/2006, 12:02 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

A week maybe? I dont know how much it would raise the pH, or if that is really a problem. Just like adding some kalk, right?

Old 12/07/2006, 01:44 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

I think that climbing pH up is just a byproduct of something leaking from rock. With kalk it is Calcium hydroxide, which is done intentionally. I am not chemist, but when something's leaking from concrete can't be good for the tank. jmo
Old 12/07/2006, 02:27 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

well, one of the ingredients in concrete is lime, which is just calcium hydroxide. How fast it leaches out, however, may be problematic. Either way, I'd soak it in RO/DI for a week and check the pH of the water, maybe the silicates too.

Old 12/07/2006, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

i used the portland cement like in the very begining of this thread. Just portland cement and rock salt. After you let your rocks dry for a few days you have to soak them in water for a while b/c the cement will leach something (not sure what it is) that raises the ph. (may not be a problem for a rock or two but im doing like 50-70pds) in a 72 gallon. I did a batch about a month and a half ago and have had them soaking in a 50 gallon container and do 100% water changes every few days. Those still raise the ph to well above 8.8 within a few hours of the water change. I made another batch last week, let them dry, and yesterday i put them in the creek. Just wanting to know if anyone has done it like this? If so how long should i wait?
Old 12/07/2006, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

I did what you are doing now. My house is by the river and when I did my arc (the one in the pic), I suspended it under my dock below waterline for about 3 weeks. Lots of barnacles started growing on it after the 3-week period and that's when I knew it was ready for the display. This is, I think, shorter time because it was under continous water turnover/flow unlike when you leach them in a container.
Old 12/07/2006, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

great thanks whisperer
Old 12/07/2006, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

What was your pH after 3 weeks? I use a river, too, but still let it cure for 12 weeks. I've never tested them earlier, maybe I should have.
Old 12/07/2006, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

How do barnacles get in the river?
Old 12/07/2006, 07:26 PM
Sexy Servant of the Tank

hmmm. good question. Freshwater barnacles?

Old 12/07/2006, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

I don't know. Ask them. They are all over my crab traps and my dock's posts. I catch gobies and blennies that now living in my display tank. Although the river's salinity is close to that of freshwater, many saltwater animals somehow can stand the lower salinity. I catch baby goliath grouper, blue crabs, snook, tilapia, sheepshead, redfish, ladyfish from my dock. Jellyfish swarm the river at certain time of the year. Stingrays come upsteam during mating season. Dolphins go upstream and we see them frolicking often. The point is, the barnacles can too.
Old 12/07/2006, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

Ive been getting frustrated with my rocks. I had them in a large utility sink, changing the water every day, for nearly 3 months... though i didn't make very many rocks i think my problem was making them too thick... (they were still raising the ph to 10+ in a day...)
Lastnight at the lowest tide i found a safe place for them on the beach, they should stay mostly submurge all day, im hoping they will be completely kured in 3 weeks...
I would definatly recommend keeping the cement mix as dry as possible and incorporating as many open spaces in the rocks as possible...