Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/07/2005, 06:34 AM
Guardian of Little People

How true! I am used to being called a "haole", and never with any malice.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 10/07/2005, 09:30 AM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Location: University of Cincinnati, Chemistry department(I never leave)
I don't live in hawaii... but rather... a little piece of hawaii lives with me...

HUMUHUMUNUKUNUKUAPUA'A!!!

(Ok... I know he was most likely collected from Fiji or Marshall Island... but he will always be from Hawai'i to me
Old 10/07/2005, 09:31 AM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Location: University of Cincinnati, Chemistry department(I never leave)
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
How true! I am used to being called Alice, and actually I kind of like it... it means the dress is convincing.
Wow BrianD, I had no idea!
Old 10/07/2005, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by corndogg

It just depends on what lifestyle you want. If you want to be a surfah boy and live in a little studio with your girl and just enjoy life with a little 9 to 5 and surf 5 times a week then this is where you want to move. If your looking to start a career and raise kids then, hawaii isn't the place.
let me be more specific then.. my gf just graduated college, i will be graduating from the same school (umass) this spring. our plans were to move to cali (for good), but we lead absurdly crazy/busy lives here (i'm a full time senior w/ absurd workload, i manage a vitamin store, and do part time real estate work), and things are only going to get crazier once in cali. enter hawaii. we decided we would move somewhere tropical that fit our specifications, adn stay there for maybe 6 months to a year, but haven't really decided on length of stay yet. def not long term tho. we just need a place that is:
1) tropical, but not overly humid
2) has good surf
3) has great scuba
4)has an english speaking vet relatively nearby (we have a hybrid cat who is real sensitive, so we need a safety net for him)

basically we just want to work entry level jobs and learn to surf and scuba dive, and have some time away from all the craziness to kick back and relax.
Old 10/07/2005, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Caryliss
Having helped a few clients import their pets to Hawaii, I can guarantee you that without rabies vaccines and blood tests documenting protective immunity to rabies it is highly unlikely that you will be able to take your cat. They may also restrict the import of hybrids because they are "exotic." Sorry to give you the bad news.

For anyone contemplating taking a pet to Hawaii, see your vet months in advance. There are vaccines and blood tests that must be carefully timed over several months. It gets expensive too. There will still be a 30 day quarantine for them once they get there.
i was under the impression that as long as he is proven to be free of rabies upon arrival he is all set. he had a rabies shot last year and had a very close to death reaction, so he cannot get a rabies shot. they are that strict, that i would never be able to get my cat there?
Old 10/07/2005, 11:12 AM

You need to contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture at the link I posted above.

Old 10/07/2005, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redFishblue
Hawaii might be fun when you're young but it's no place to wing it if you want to raise a family and have no money in the bank. That's why so many Hawaiian's are moving to Las Vegas and Cali so they can afford to live in a decent sized place.
And if you're wanting to learn to surf, make sure you know the etiquette of the place.
You're more likely to encounter surfing the locals who take a dim view of statesiders crowding them on 'their' small island
i guess that's opinion, i always wing th8ings and it always seems to work. to each his own. either way, we're just going for some time off from life to have fun.

as for locals, we will be learning to surf, so we won't be interfering in the coveted surf spots, since we won't be advanced enough to ride them. even so, we can get along with most people, and if not, ts, it's their problem not mine
Old 10/07/2005, 01:00 PM

Jazer, I have never been treated rudely in all my trips. I think your plan is great!

Old 10/07/2005, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

thanks, we're so psyched, makes it hard to focus on work/school haha
Old 10/07/2005, 05:12 PM

There are some areas in Oahu you DEFINITELY don't want to live in. Meth is a big problem on all the islands of Hawaii. Make sure you talk to a reputable real estate agent and find a safe place to live. Your rent will be extremely expensive and you will probably only get a studio apartment, but who wants to spend their time at home in Hawaii anyway?

Old 10/08/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jazer80

basically we just want to work entry level jobs and learn to surf and scuba dive, and have some time away from all the craziness to kick back and relax.
Then you couldn't have picked a better place than hawaii.

Rent isnt that expensive. In fact when I lived there, I had a 2 br townhouse with a view of kaneohe bay for $1125 a month. Moved here to northern CA to $1300 a month with an hours drive to the beach.

You can find plenty of places between $800-$1000 bux. If you are lucky you can find nice studio apt for a little less than that.