Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 10:45 PM

Not really, I paid through the nose for that stupid thing. Over $2K because the only place that had generators left by the time panic had set in, was the John Deer shop, and they had a semi bring them in at midnight on the second or third day of the power outage last year. I was trying to figure out which one I wanted, but people were grabbing them faster than they could be un-packed.

I freaked and grabbed the one in front of me and wouldn't let go until a salesman came and took care of me. They filled it and turned it over, and I was out the door. This particular one has a true sine wave I guess, so that is a good thing.

About one hour after I got it running, the power came back on.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

I got a pm asking about Glycerin that I use in my bubble counter. I found out about this stuff from our local board CanReef and since a lot of people were using it I gave it a try. It works great, does not evaporate or splash, nice slow bubbles.

I got it in the drug section of Safeway, most drug stores should have it.

Here is a link to some info.

Old 11/13/2007, 11:09 PM

awesome!! I saw Chuck had something oil-like in his bubble counter he got off MD, and I was really interested to find out what it is. Thanks for that!!
Old 11/13/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cprowler
I talked to my electrician buddy. We figure the problem was because I was using them through my DJ power switches not because of lack of wattage. I knew I didn’t have any problem last year. I may test them tomorrow.

And if anyone is interested, motors usually draw 125% of the wattage to get them started and if a generators is rated for say 1000 watts 80% should be usable.
I've run mine off my DJ 100 power centers...no problem.

This was on the 58 gallon, but I ran:

Mag 9
Mag 7
Iwaki 55RLT
2 100 watt heaters
ER CS6-2 skimmer
PCI 1/4 hp chiller, 5.8 amps draw...
dual 250 watt MH's on IceCap E-ballasts
Geo Calcium Reactor & feed pump

And a couple of other odds and ends I cant think of right now...misc powerheads etc...

Nick
Old 11/13/2007, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
I've run mine off my DJ 100 power centers...no problem.

This was on the 58 gallon, but I ran:

Mag 9
Mag 7
Iwaki 55RLT
2 100 watt heaters
ER CS6-2 skimmer
PCI 1/4 hp chiller, 5.8 amps draw...
dual 250 watt MH's on IceCap E-ballasts
Geo Calcium Reactor & feed pump

And a couple of other odds and ends I cant think of right now...misc powerheads etc...

Nick
Hmmm, I'm going to test mine tomorrow just to see whats going on.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason McK
Another option could be the Tunze Universal Osmolator Automatic Water Top-Off. It's a bit expensive but it has an optical sensor for top off and a float for the too high sensor. Also it has a time out feature so that it will not run for longer than 10 minutes. If the optical sensor has not changed states after 10 minutes of pumping it creates and error and shuts off the pump.
The Optical sensor is very reliable, I've had mine for 4 years and only wipe it off occasionally (it's never failed)
I have heard the pumps life span is short but I've never had a problem and the pumps are cheap

J
I ordered one this morning from Marine Depot. The tracking has it in Oregon already, man that's fast.
Old 11/14/2007, 04:42 PM
Team RC Member

You'll be happy with the Osmolator, just make sure you clean off the IR sensor a couple times a year. If it becomes covered with coralline it won't sense the water level below it, and it will stop topping off.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
You'll be happy with the Osmolator, just make sure you clean off the IR sensor a couple times a year. If it becomes covered with coralline it won't sense the water level below it, and it will stop topping off.
thanks Dude, I will have it set up in the next few days.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cprowler
Hmmm, I'm going to test mine tomorrow just to see what's going on.
I tested the pups again using the generator with out the DJ power centers. They both started right up separately and at the same time.
Old 11/16/2007, 04:10 PM
TRC Leader

When I run my generator, I move the DJ power center cords to that plug. I also have all the switches off and flip on the ones I want to run. Maybe having them all on is a bigger surge than the DJ can handle when getting power from a generator vs AC.
Old 11/16/2007, 04:48 PM

I believe that any time you are bringing stuff online, especially with a generator, one-at-a-time is the only way to go. I would think that the DJ centers couldn't handle the surge of a bunch of stuff coming online at one time. JMO though. I always fire up the generator and plug one thing in at a time starting with return flow. I wait a couple of minutes in between each item.
Old 11/17/2007, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I believe that any time you are bringing stuff online, especially with a generator, one-at-a-time is the only way to go. I would think that the DJ centers couldn't handle the surge of a bunch of stuff coming online at one time. JMO though. I always fire up the generator and plug one thing in at a time starting with return flow. I wait a couple of minutes in between each item.
I agree 100% that's the only way I do it and recommend anyone else to do it that way also.
Old 11/17/2007, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
When I run my generator, I move the DJ power center cords to that plug. I also have all the switches off and flip on the ones I want to run. Maybe having them all on is a bigger surge than the DJ can handle when getting power from a generator vs AC.
That's exactly how I used the the DJ's, the return was the first thing I tried and then started selecting things I wanted on. When the dart would not start I turned all the switches off and just tried the Dart and it would not start. I then selected the return again (with every thing off) and it took a few minutes and finally started. I didn't think it was going to but it finaly did.

I mentioned this to my electrician buddy and I forget the exact terminology but he said the DJ's could be restricting the current. I don't remember if it restricted the watts or the amps or what. I do know the pumps ran flawlessly when I plugged them directly into the generator with out the DJ's. I guess if anyone has problems with things not working properly they can try them with out the DJ's.
Old 11/17/2007, 09:18 PM
TRC Leader

If you have multiple outlets, I would move the DJ cords to those generator-driven outlets and then a dedicated plug for the return pump as well. Might as well go with what works.
Old 11/25/2007, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

When I ordered my Tunze auto top off I was $0.40 short for free shipping so I ordered 4 sets of Icecap T5 endcaps and 4 bulbs. That took care of the free shipping.

So tonight I replaced my VHO lighting with T5. I took a pic I'll post it in a few.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:18 AM
Team RC Member

... a few days, weeks, months?
Old 11/25/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Nice JD panel. Looks clean.
Old 11/25/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

So you can just swap out VHO for t5's with your ballast? How does that work?

Dennis
Old 11/25/2007, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
... a few days, weeks, months?
It was going to be minutes but the I watched a movie, then I went diving all morning and now were are having company over for dinner. so I'm glad I left open like that.
Old 11/25/2007, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NaH2Ofreak
So you can just swap out VHO for t5's with your ballast? How does that work?

Dennis
Icecap 660, you can use vho or t5 or any combination of the two totaling 24'. If I remember correctly.
Old 11/25/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

24 feet?

Nick
Old 11/25/2007, 05:23 PM
Team RC Member

Could you remind me what kind of anemone it is that you have? I'm a real anemone noob.
Old 11/25/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

He's got a Heteractis magnifica anemone.

More information than you probably wanted...

FIELD GUIDE TO ANEMONE FISHES AND THEIR HOST SEA ANEMONES

Heteractis Type Anemones

Anemone FAQ (PDF)

They have a dismal track record in captivity. IME its because they ship so poorly. I've had one for almost two years, a second one I just got was fine for almost two weeks, and then wandered into a powerhead that was absolutely no where near the anemone's location. It got shredded pretty badly from the powerhead, and the nematocysts from the shredded tentacles killed all the fish in my tank with the exception of my clowns. This happened the day after Thanksgiving. I lost a Red Sea Regal Angel I'd had for over a year, a Tomini Tang I'd almost 3 years and a blackcap basslet...

The anemone does appear as if it might survive though....

Nick
Old 11/25/2007, 08:15 PM
Team RC Member

Thanks for all of the information Nick, definitely not more than I wanted (but certainly enough!). Terribly sorry to hear about your recent trouble. Why do you think it wandered? Better yet, instead of hijacking this thread, I'll do a search for yours.
Old 11/25/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Its not so much Hijacking IMO, since he's got one too, and its definately a showcase animal. Everyone wants an anemone and Nemo in their tank.

Ritteri anemone's like high flow and high light, They will wander to find conditions more to their liking. The small one in my tank has moved since I transferred it over from a smaller tank.

My whole point for throwing this out there is that these animals have a powerful sting and are capable of causing havoc in a tank...and they're tough to keep alive long term.

It can be done...look at Cprowlers...

Nick