Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 01:29 AM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

Wet/dry drip tray mods

Anyone modify their drip trays so as to improve filtering with 50/100 micron filter pads even better?

I was thinking about drilling more holes or replacing the bottom of the drip tray with a plastic screen for improved flow by allowing the water to pass through the entire filter pad & screen instead of limited holes on the bottom of the drip tray (which causes the filter pad to clog much faster).

Thanks for any input...
Old 12/01/2007, 11:36 AM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

Anyone?...
Old 12/01/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

I have drilled drip tray holes larger. That's all you usually need to do, just increase hole 1 or 2 sizes. You may want to change to filter socks. Convert the drip tray to hold one or two filter socks and then modify the top cover accordingly to center the tank drains over the filter socks.

I did this with a standard sump with drip tray. Bought a new sheet of Acrylic and cut holes (holesaw) to hold PVC fittings for the tank overflow drains (2) and another for the skimmer drain. Then used a new sheet to replace the drip tray with two large holes to hold 2 filter socks (100 micron). Just lined everything up so that the fittings in the top sheet were centered over the holes in the bottom tray. Then cut out a large section of the divider (bio-ball tower wall) so that I could just slide the filter bags out like a drawer to replace then with clean. Left enough of the wall on the bottom and an inch strip down each side so it would still act as a support for the entire sump. In other words, I did not cut the entire divider out of the sump. I just cut a large opening in it to be able to slide the filter socks out.
Old 12/01/2007, 07:12 PM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

Can you post any pics?... I know I'm asking a lot, but a picture is worth a thousand words as we all know.

I was thinking about installing some type of plastic strainer slightly off the bottom of the drip tray, but I'm still gathering ideas.

Thanks so much...
Old 12/01/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

I completely got rid of the drip tray. Extended the pipe to go down into the water and drilled holes in the pipe and slide a filter sock over it. This also quiets the sump down to near silent. But i dont run any bio balls, I turned the wet dry into a sump setup.
Old 12/01/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

sorry dp
Old 12/01/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by benray4fun
Can you post any pics?... I know I'm asking a lot, but a picture is worth a thousand words as we all know.

I was thinking about installing some type of plastic strainer slightly off the bottom of the drip tray, but I'm still gathering ideas.

Thanks so much...

You can see the top cover, the tray with bags and part of the front bio-ball tower wall cut out to enable the bag tray to be slid in and out. Again, that "wall" is not cut all the way out. There is about a 6" strip left across the bottom and about 1" wide edge on each side. I left this so the sump would not bow.

Old 12/19/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

I cut a peice of "egg crate" to fit inside my drip tray to raise the felt up off the small tray holes. I then glued 4 plastic spacers to the egg crate to raise it off the drip tray. Then I lay filter sock felt on the egg crate with about 1/2" larger on all sides (1/2" of felt curved up onto sides to prevent bypass. Works great for me. No actual mods to wet dry. And by raising the filter up off the tray with the small trickle holes I have avoided early clogging and make use of the entire surface area.