Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 01/07/2008, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

29 gallon SPS tank build...

I'm moving my tank from a 25 gallon to a new drilled 29 gallon tank that was a present for Christmas... I have a base stand for the tank, but will be building a canopy soon... This setup is going to be plumbed thru-wall and into a spare bedroom of my house...

Here's my equipment list...
29 gallon drilled tank (1" drain 3/4" return)
150 watt HQI MH with 14k Pheonix bulb
2x55watt PCs (10k and actinic)
2 Tunze Nanostreams 6025 (possibly to be modded)
AquaEuro Recirc 135 Skimmer
10 gallon fuge w/ PC lighting
25 gallon sump
JBJ ATO

This weekend I masked off the tank and painted to back a dark blue color... Looks good to me... I hate those plastic backgrounds when salt creep gets between them and the glass... I'll be updating as I finish the build and transfer my live rock and corals over...

Ready to be worked on...

Removed the bulklheads and masked everything off really well...

ready to paint....

Try to keep your strokes and painting even for the best results... I used almost an entire can for just this tank...

Spray paint dries fast, but I still let it sit outside for an hour or so before bringing inside...

Make sure you run a razor blade along the edge between the plastic frame and glass... the paint will peel off with the painters tape if you don't do this... believe me, I found out the hard way...

finished and blue..

Back in its home...

I tried my hardest but still got a little overspray under the black plastic frame near the center of the aquarium... its driving me crazy, but I keep telling myself you wont see it once the canopy is on the water level is set... we'll see, there's not much I could do anyways to get the paint from under there...

I've started picking up my plumbing pieces, so that will be next...

Jester
Old 01/08/2008, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

looking good.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

I went to my friends reef/marine store last night and talked to him a little about my plumbing... I was told that my original plans were a little too complicated and he helped my simplify it a lot... so.. tonight I'll be going by a plumbing shop to get the last few pieces I need to start the plumbing... then the fun of drilling through the wall will begin... =)

Its been record breaking high temps here lately, so I'll have good weather to start building the canopy and stand for my sump, fuge and skimmer this weekend... hoping to get the tank up and running with a few new pieces of live rock before this weekend and then transfer the existing livestock over at the end of the weekend... Something always messes up my plans, but we'll see how this turns out... I'll be updating photos as I go... I cant wait to have this tank up and running...

Jester
Old 01/08/2008, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Your configuration is very close to what I am planning on setting up within a month. Subscribed!
Old 01/08/2008, 11:03 AM
Enjoying Life

Looking good. Nice job with the paint. Any ideas for getting all the equipment running and starting to stock it up?
Old 01/08/2008, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefman13
Looking good. Nice job with the paint. Any ideas for getting all the equipment running and starting to stock it up?
I think you're asking what equipment am I going to be using on this tank or the process of getting the tank running..?? I am going to be transfering all the equipment from my 25 gallon tank to this 29, but there is a dilemma when transfering equipment... I'd ideally want to hook the 29 up and have it running for a little while before adding my livestock from the 25, but that starts getting complcated since I technically need all the equipment to run my current tank... I'm still trying to work it all out... I'll probably have to transfer everything over at one time and call it a day...
Old 01/08/2008, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

Cool tank, keep us updated on the build and transfer!
Old 01/11/2008, 08:26 AM
Premium Member

Havent been able to do much physical work on the tank this week... Things have been hectic since the holidays are over... I did get to do a little more planning though, which probably is better in the long run...

My 2 Nanostream 6025s should be here today and I picked up some of my power control center stuff last night... here's a few pics of the things I picked up last night... I have a dj controller for the room where the tank will actually be located... This will control my MHs, PCs, moonlights, and both nanostreams... Then there will be another one located on the sump/fuge stand that will control the skimmer, fuge, ATO, heater, etc...

(as you can see in the background... all that equipment sitting next to the 25 gallon, is what caused this project to start...)

Old 01/11/2008, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Here's some pics from playing aound with sketchup... I typically use Viz, but I need ot get better with sketchup...

Old 01/11/2008, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

I test fit the DJ controllers in my stand and it fits perfectly in the opening for the stand door... so with a few pieces of wood it will fit so that its right behind the door... tomorrow will be a day of building for the 29 gallon... Had a package waiting for me when I got home, too... Here's a few pics of my goodies...

The Nanostreams are awesome compared to the old powersweep I have in my 25 gallon... the quality of the pumps seem to be a little less than I expected though... the plastic front shroud barely stays on the pump and seems to fall off if the cord moves barely... the magnets are extremely strong though... keep those things away from each other... I had one move about 8 inches by itself to grab the mount... heheheee... scared the crap out of me...