Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/27/2003, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

BTA Shriveling up

I am just curious about this behaviour.. This is my first BTA, I had a Long tentacle for around 5 months but lost it due to a power head incident I got the BTA about a week ago, it hasn't moved from where I placed it but it seems like every other day since I introduced it is shrivels up and almost looks like is terminal. But about an hour after he shrivels up the lights go out and then in the morning he looks fine.. Right now I have a Gold Stripe clown hosting in it. They were introduced at the same time and only took about 30 minutes for the clown to find the BTA and hasn't left since... Just curious about the shriveling.. Thanx.
Old 05/28/2003, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Comments Please.. anyone?
Old 05/29/2003, 12:24 AM
willing to learn

normal

dont worry this is normal for them they have to do this to exchange water and clean them insides out as long as it is eating dont worry
Old 05/29/2003, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Re: normal

I have a BTA that is doing the same thing. I am now searching the thread to try to find out his problem. After hearing your reply
my question is how often is he suppose to eat? He has been in my tank two weeks. He ate small pieces of shrimp every two or three days at first. Ater a few days of staying where I put him in the tank, he moved around for a few days. For the last week he is in a very bad place to allow feeding him. He is mounted sideways to slightly upside down. When we do manage to get a piece of shrimp or krill in him, he opens up and drops the food out. Do you have any suggestions? Should I attempt to move him again?

Quote:
Originally posted by sberman
dont worry this is normal for them they have to do this to exchange water and clean them insides out as long as it is eating dont worry
Old 05/29/2003, 05:09 PM
willing to learn

normal

i would say to leave him and let it settle in sounds as if it has not found a spot that it is happy with yet i have 5 that have not moved in months one has not moved in 8 months now

try getting some silversides at the lfs and see if it will eat that usally they do not refuse those make sure the piece is no bigger then ther mouth