Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/28/2003, 11:03 AM
Fish Collector

Your missing the point, the point was if your go on the full growth principal than most fish can't be kept in the home aquarium and that covers alot of fish as most in the ocean have large terroritie. But most smaller or juv size can be kept for quite awhile.

There is nothing wrong with keeping a 1/2" Hippo tang in a 55 gal.

You would be surprised how many people have St Berands or even large dogs in NYC. And it's now irresponsible to have one if you going to take the dog out and walk it alot or run it. It's not like your going to kept it in your apt all the time.
Old 05/28/2003, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

sicklid wrote:

Quote:
I have 1 Hippo in my 300 gallon tank, and sometimes I wonder if it is large enough for it and my other fish.
My hippo has been in a 240 since he was purchased (almost 9 years ago) and I feel the same way. He (it) is a very active swimmer and an 8 foot long aquarium doesn't seem to be enough...
Old 05/28/2003, 11:55 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by marrone
You would be surprised how many people have St Berands or even large dogs in NYC. And it's now irresponsible to have one if you going to take the dog out and walk it alot or run it. It's not like your going to kept it in your apt all the time.
There are two big differences there. One is that most big dogs are fine with lounging around most of the time, no matter how much room they have.
The other thing is that, while you can take your dog out to the park, I don't think that many people take their large tangs out to the ocean or even the local public aquarium to play.

Dave
Old 05/28/2003, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flanders
Now you're getting it. I agree. If people stop buying fish that will grow too large for the home aquarium, stores will stop stocking them -- larger angels and tangs, that is. Lions and eels are not as active and although many species get large they don't require as much swimming space as, say, a French angel. The smaller species can easily be kept in a very large home aquarium to adult size, IMO.

This is all if you go by that principle, that is. I do. It seems like the responsible thing to do. If you live in a one-room apt. in NYC, it would be irresponsible to purchase a St. Bernard, right? Not to mention a total PITA.

I second naesco's recommendation of the Kole tang. They are gorgeous fish.
I did a little looking on kole tang minimum tank size that I found for this was 75 as well. What makes them better suited to a smaller tank that a hippo?.. They are good looking fish
Old 05/28/2003, 12:04 PM
Fish Collector

I have a Blue-Line tang, similar to a Kole tang, in a 75gal and I find it to be on the small size for him. I would move him to on of my 260gal but he is very aggressive and attacks everything so that where he stays.
Old 05/28/2003, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BiG_KiD
I did a little looking on kole tang minimum tank size that I found for this was 75 as well. What makes them better suited to a smaller tank that a hippo?.. They are good looking fish
i've also read that kole tangs can be housed in smaller tanks (55gal -75gal). when i had one in my 55gal (recommended tank size mind u) it cruised back and forth from one end of the tank to another. after witnessing this i really don't think they are siuted for smaller tanks. if u look at the shape of the fish and shape of its claudal fin u can see its meant to swim over large areas at high speeds. whereas yellow tangs have a claudal fin shaped for slower speeds. i guess the point i;m trying to make is that just becasue a tang doesnt get to large (i.e. kole) it doesn;t mean u can put it in a smaller tank. IMO

"Back off man, I'm a scientist" - Pete Venkman "Ghostbusters"
Old 05/28/2003, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

i kept a hippo for 5 years in a 180 and he barely ever swam anywhere...maybe he's the exception to the rule but he even survived and got healthier as he had HLLE (my inexperience) in a 10 gallon tank with a very large pecula and live rock during my move and he got stronger...i wouldn't recommend 10 g tank but in a pinch when u have to....feed him spirulina w/ vitamin C soaked in "kyolic" garlic extract it makes a HUGE difference...he healed right up! good luck.....BTW you can keep them in schools of 3 or more...not 2 1 or 3/more
Old 05/29/2003, 10:39 AM
I have no catchy title

Quote:
Your missing the point, the point was if your go on the full growth principal than most fish can't be kept in the home aquarium and that covers alot of fish as most in the ocean have large terroritie. But most smaller or juv size can be kept for quite awhile.
No, I didn't miss the point. You apparently missed your own point. Sure, they can be kept for quite a while. What happens then? You are correct, if you go on the full growth principle a lot of fish can't be kept in the home aquarium. I repeat, what happens to them after they outgrow it?

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with keeping a 1/2" Hippo tang in a 55 gal.
IF you have a much larger tank set up to move it to. MUCH larger.

Quote:
I would not be surprised. I live in Upstate New York and am very familiar with NYC. I feel it IS irresponsible to keep a large active dog in a small apartment. Maybe a St. Bernard wasn't the best example, too lazy. People do stupid things everywhere. That doesn't make it a good idea.

Quote:
They stay pretty small. A 55 might be on the small side for a kole tang, but I thought it would be a much better choice than the hippo. After reading fishtanker's post, maybe not. Maybe a 55 is too small for any tang, I don't know. Just trying to give you an option.
Old 05/30/2003, 02:53 AM
Registered Member

well thanx for the info.. Well I did it anyway.. I bought both the hippos from the LFS.. I don't wanna anger anyone here but I will say they are extremely happy.. They swim right next to each other and have just barely begun to swim around the hole tank. IT took them around 3 days to come out of the corner.. They are literally smaller than a quarter so I am assuming that I have some good time to have them in my 55. I am moving in august and already looking starting to look for a 125 or larger.. Just don't know what I will be able to fit. I am a student so I live in an appt. I can't wait till I get out of school..Then it's time for the real deal..
1000 gallon reef.. I will have it.. In the mean time I think that 125 is about as big as I can go in an appt.. I have to tear it down every year to move I have been feeding a homemade concoction of frozen brine, fresh shrimp, dt's, some flake, and garlic. They seem to be loving it...There so little I can see there bellies buldge when they eat is this a bad thing?.. am I overfeeding?.. I also just went to the LFS and got a clip and some seaweed and put on the side of the tank.. Also picked up some lifeline..Everywhere I have read says to feed them plant material as well will this do or is this there somehthing else.. Thanx for all the help.. I can assure you all that these 2 fish will not be mistreated.. I take pride in my tank and due truely care for the animals in it.. Thanks again for all the help..
Old 05/30/2003, 09:47 AM
I have no catchy title

Quote:
I am moving in august and already looking starting to look for a 125 or larger.. Just don't know what I will be able to fit. I am a student so I live in an appt. I can't wait till I get out of school..Then it's time for the real deal..
Sorry, but my opinion of you just dropped quite a bit. You're moving in August and buying new fish in May? WHY? Your hippos will barely get a chance to settle in, stress from the move may kill them anyway. They're hardy once settled in, but otherwise pretty skittish and delicate.

Are you honestly going to upgrade to a 125 and then tear it down once a year to move? That is ridiculous. I think you should return the tangs and stick with your 55 until your situation becomes more permanent.

I hope you don't take offense at this. The whole thing just seems a bit silly to me. I had a small reef tank in college too, and every time I moved it was a royal pita. Have you ever moved a 125 before? Quite a yearly chore. You won't want to do it a second time, trust me.
Old 05/30/2003, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

I'm going to have to second Flanders' opinion -- you have your whole life to own Tangs and to do it right.

The only time keeping juveniles in a small tank is acceptable is when: 1) they are juveniles and 2) there is another tank waiting and ready to go. You are going to accuse me of having a double standard. This is not the case, as I believe juveniles of many fish do better in a slightly less hectic, smaller environment. I believe my Hippo would have perished if he were in a main display tank.

Every time someone here is confronted with keeping Tangs in a small tank, the knee-jerk response is that they will just get a bigger tank. That is much easier said than done. Finances change, the current residence can't support a heavier tank, you discover that moving an aquarium is the biggest pain in the world, and so forth. I implore you to please take a step back and look at the big picture.

Tangs are very skittish animals, and don't take to moving well. I suggest the following:
1) its actually easier to upgrade tanks during a move, especially if you can have the new, larger receiving tank up and running before you move out of the existing smaller tank. If you have the 125 gallon running, then by all means, make the move and tank upgrade, and you'll be okay.
2) if you don't have the 125 when you move, and are going to stick with the 55, then use moving as an opportunity to return the tangs or give them to someone else. Good luck getting them out of your tank before that.

We live in a mobile society, and I suspect no one here would bet on 10,000:1 odds that they'll be living where they are next year. But aquariums, and especially Tangs, don't move well. If you know you are moving, it is more prudent to wait until after you move to buy fish.

Matt
Old 05/30/2003, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Man! Why did you even ask in the first place? It really shows your immaturity that you would ask the question; get all this top-notch assistance, information and suggestions; and then just go out and do the WRONG thing anyway.

(He's a student living in an apartment and has the $$$'s to be throwing around on a marine tank, so I guess Daddy pays his way in life. That's typical behaviour of someone that has been brought up this way.)
Old 05/30/2003, 10:18 AM
Fish Collector

What did he do wrong? The only thing I see is that he bought 2 Hippo tang and which will probably turn out to be a problem. A 55gal tank is just fine for a Hippo tang that is the size of a quarter.

And yes he is moving in about 3 months, hopefully he will get a bigger tank and unless he moving very far the fish will be fine.

Just because a person asks a question and get answers from people doesn't mean he has to follow their advise, wether right or wrong, it's up to the person to decide. He didn't make a bad deceision here.
Old 05/30/2003, 10:19 AM
I have no catchy title

Edit: Oh come on Norseman. There's no reason to insult the dude or assume anything about his upbringing. I think you should edit that.

Marrone, that was a foolish move, no doubt about it. If you disagree, then I feel for your tank. Have you ever kept a hippo tang or moved a tank?
Old 05/30/2003, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
(He's a student living in an apartment and has the $$$'s to be throwing around on a marine tank, so I guess Daddy pays his way in life. That's typical behaviour of someone that has been brought up this way.)
Big Kid, I encourage you not to dignify this with a response.

To some others, personal attacks are unnecessary and if you search the threads, you will find that very, very few resort to them, which is what makes this such a positive community Come on, let's be cool here

No one here may stand in judgment over the finances of another, for judge not lest ye be judged. The fact that we're here on this board in the first place means that we all have moderately poor financial judgment

I'm a graduate student who lives on a stipend and borrows money from the government just to get by, and I keep a reef tank. I have made many mistakes, and I continue to screw things up. But who here doesn't? Judge me if you wish, but I ask you to keep it to yourself,

Matt
Old 05/30/2003, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I admit that was a little harsh. I'm sorry. What can I say? It's just in my nature to lash out when something rubs me the wrong way.

But that was foolish. If he got just one, I wouldn't say a word. But... he's moving which means he's probably tearing down the tank and rebuilding (anyone who's done this knows how stressful it can be for fish), AND he just went ahead and got two. So you know even if he get's the 125, it goes against all tried-and-true methods of keeping tangs to put them both in there.

I do have a theory that I haven't tried:

I've been keeping African Cichlids for years. I know that with most of them, if you get only 2 or 3 of the same (or similar) species- especially males - they will fight until there is only one left. But the secret to owning them is to over-crowd the tank. If you have a 55 gallon African Cichlid tank, and you want to keep some kind of Pseudotropheus, you would have a much higher mortality rate with say 5 than you would with like 20. I've always wondered if that is the case with saltwater fish such as tangs? But who's going to go out and spend like $1000 on tangs and put them all in one tank to prove or disprove my theory?

Norseman
Old 05/30/2003, 10:41 AM
yes it's my aquarium

I think it's worth adding to this thread: Hippo Tangs are fairly intelligent fish. They are not easily captured out of a reef aquarium without tearing your rock apart!
Old 05/30/2003, 10:44 AM
Fish Collector

Unless the tank is very very large you will see the tangs fight untiil you get maybe a few that get along but chances are that will not happen.

In the NY Aquairum that had a large reef type tank with about 4-5 large sailfin tanks and even with all that space they continued to fight. I would work with different tangs.
Old 05/30/2003, 10:53 AM
Fish Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
I think it's worth adding to this thread: Hippo Tangs are fairly intelligent fish. They are not easily captured out of a reef aquarium without tearing your rock apart!

Most fish inside a reef tank are hard to catch. If he moving I guess that he will be breaking down the tank so catching them with not be a problem.
Old 05/30/2003, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

WOW!!! I guess I am the devil.. Yes I will be moving, so Yes I will be breaking down the tank.. My plan is to have the 125 Up and running before I even take one gallon of water out of my current tank. I am going to chicago tonight to get new Southdown, I am moving across town it's not like I am going to be moving across the state.. As far as my finacial status IMO that's is none of your buisness.. I work hard for the money I get, my job is what supports my tank. My dad is a mechanic ie.. He is not rich.. As for you making a judgment call on my upbringing now I am really ****ed Do any of you honestly think that I would sit there and watch the 2 fish fight till one of them died.. Come on I don't know anyone that is that sadistic.. I felt that It would be less stressful for the fish is they were together.. Quote what ever you want to prove I am wrong but so far they haven't left each others side and it's not because they are fighting.. Can you imagine being taken from your home and instead or bringing a friend going alone?...Maybe I am wrong but they seem to very happy with each other so far.. I am posting because I care about the well being of these fish.. Not becuause I wanted to be told I was a spoiled little rich bratt who has to get his way.. This is not true..I am simply concerned for the well being of my tank and all of inhabitants.. And after all this rant no one answered my question.. So instead of helping me everyone chose to chastize me with their rude comments.. I was happy to be a reef central member but after this I can say I will not post as freely as I have in the past..
Old 05/30/2003, 12:37 PM
I have no catchy title

Quote:
So instead of helping me everyone chose to chastize me with their rude comments.. I was happy to be a reef central member but after this I can say I will not post as freely as I have in the past..
Grow up and get real. The only one who was rude to you at all was chastised by everyone else. We all tried to help you, but you didn't listen. I don't care if you go or stay. If you decide to stay get a thicker skin, this is the Interweb for Christ's sake.

In answer to your question, feed frozen broccoli and nori along with meaty foods like frozen mysis, brine shrimp or bloodworms and a veg-based flake food and spirulina blends at least once per day. Your fish are in no danger of being overfed but your tank is.

Quit feeding garlic, IMO. Garlic belongs in the Olive Garden. Seriously, garlic has been linked to liver malfunction. If they get ich, you can mix some garlic in there if you want, although I wouldn't. Not on a regular basis though.
Old 05/30/2003, 12:42 PM
Fish Collector

Hey I was on your side!!!!

Garlic is good for ich or other infection is does have a real affect positive on the fish.
Old 05/30/2003, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Alright I apologize for those who were supportive.. That post about me be spoiled really got under my skin..
Old 05/30/2003, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Man, by the time you read my rude comments, I had already apologized! And kudos for saying that you will have the 125 gal. setup before you start breaking down the 55.

I just felt that you didn't behave maturely; that's all. It's like you tell a kid (no pun intedid towards your RC handle), "Don't touch that. It's hot!" And then they go ahead and touch it. And then act surprised when they get burned and cry.

I don't think you're a spoiled rich kid; I just fly off the handle sometimes. But seriously: all of these experienced reefers are telling you not to get two - maybe just one, and you go and buy them both anyway. What's up with that?

Do you really think the Hippo Tang is smart enough to think, "Man this place is scary as hell, but at least I have Jimmy here to keep me company."?

And yes; if I suddenly got yanked into outerspace by some infinitely more intelligent Alien, I would probably like another human as company... but I'm not a Hippo Tang. They are governed by a whole different psyche that we can hardly fathom. Consequently, they react a little differently in the situation. I'm not 100% sure, but it just may be possible that the Hippo Tang is thinking, "Hmmm... there just might not be enough food and space for me here in this stunted environment I've been thrown into... I better kill Jimmy before he kills me so that I make sure I have a better chance of survival." I could be wrong, but seeing as most of the experienced reefers say NOT to keep more than one Hippo Tang in an aquarium, I'm thinking the Tang's thinking is more like what I believe.

Since I have no experience with them, I'm going to shut up now and let the other guys on the site give you as much help as they can so that hopefully your two will live.

Good luck.

Norseman
Old 05/30/2003, 01:27 PM
I have no catchy title

Whether or not to feed garlic is a decision you'll have to make. I've never seen any evidence that it does anything at all and have heard (secondhand, admittedly) that it can be harmful.