Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/16/2003, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Need Identification

Hello all I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this algae purple stuff is.. It looks like some form of algae but it is real stringy if that makes any sense.. I think that is probally bad cause it seems to growing rather quickly and i am afraid that it will choke out my other stuff in the tank.. Please help.. also I am afraid that I might have a coral beauty that is starting to get the ick.. There is one little white spot on her I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a good treatment?.. Thanx..
Old 05/16/2003, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

well don't know why the pic didn't show but will try again
Old 05/16/2003, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Hi there,

From your picture your purple algae looks like some nice purple coralline algae growing. The stringy things can be many things, my guess some type of worm that makes a calcareous tube - I really wouldn't worry about it. About your coral beauty: do a search for coral beauty and ich on this board and you will find many hints, suggestions, etc. for what to do next.

Mark
Old 05/16/2003, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Question mmmmmmmm

don't know
Old 05/16/2003, 11:08 PM
Triggerhappy

I agree with Afromomum on this one. Are those "stringy things" hard or do they sway in the current?
Old 05/17/2003, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

the stringy things are soft and yes they do sway with the current. Sorry for the horrilbe picture i took it with my cell phone.. lol..I have picked off some of it from the rock and feels very soft almost like a sponge. It seems to be spreading around in the tank too. I just noticed a some starting to grow on the other side of the tank..
Old 05/17/2003, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

the stringy things are soft and yes they do sway with the current. Sorry for the horrilbe picture i took it with my cell phone.. lol..I have picked off some of it from the rock and feels very soft almost like a sponge. It seems to be spreading around in the tank too. I just noticed a some starting to grow on the other side of the tank..
Old 05/17/2003, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

alright i searched for ich and came up with a few different things. Based on the fact that I have 80lbs + of live rock and a few inverts i use copper so garlic sounds interesting to me.. SO do I just put a clove of garlic in the tank ?.. or what I love to cook so I always have garlic should i dice it up and put it in or just put the whole clove in thanx. GUYS.
Old 05/17/2003, 11:35 AM
Moderator Clone

I see coralline algae with sponge growing over it in that picture.

FWIW,
Kevin
Old 05/17/2003, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Looks like the remnant of a mat of green star polyps (the purple) with a sponge growing over it.

It is nothing to worry about at all. The sponge may expand some more, but will not take over the tank.

Bruce
Old 05/17/2003, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

I couldn't say for sure what you've got, but I've had soft, thick, purple strings growing from the underside of a rock that's covered in pink and blue sponges. They looked a great deal like your picture, and I believe they were extensions of one of the sponges, but I have no clue what they actually were. After reaching a certain length (~2") and being exposed to the lights and a stronger currant that caused the strings to brush against rock, they slowly degraded and disappeared. Believing it's a sponge, I wouldn't get rid of it unless it's obviously negatively affecting something.
Old 05/17/2003, 09:54 PM
Triggerhappy

Hey BiG-Kid, firstly if the coral beauty only has one small spot on it, it's a lil too early to assume much of anything. However, if you want to try the garlic treatment anyway (won't hurt anything if you do) you use kyolic (liquid extract) or I believe you can extract the juices yourself if you have the leaves and you add that to their food. You don't just add garlic to the water There are also a growing number of commercial garlic additives out there you can buy at the lfs if you wish.