Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Outer Orbit Mh/T5

I have a 150w Outer Orbit Mh/T5 fixture 48". It's running about 2 months. I recently put some frags in my tank...one of them Pink Center Metallic Zoanthid. In my tank there is no pink center. It's just kind of a bland color. When I picked up the frags, the tank they were in had 14k mH and they looked VERY pink. It was suggested to me that my 10k's are not bringing out the colors and 14k's might be the answer.

I have two questions about this. First, the frags I just got are doing well with the current lighting (10K). If I change to a 14k lamp, will it have any negative effect on the corals?

Second, if I would change the bulb from the stock 10k outer orbit bulb, which brand would work the best with my fixture? Or do I already have a good bulb and I should just forget about it?
Old 08/13/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

I had that fixture (OO 150w) before I recntly upgraded to the OO 250w mh version. Current claims you can use any brand bulb in their fixture. After 1 year with the 150w fixture, I changed the stock 10k Current builbs to 14k Current bulbs and I did like it alot better. You may not get as strong growth for the corals, but the coloration was nicer IMO.
Old 08/13/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Have the same light in a 36". Did not like the yellowish color from the 10k bulbs so I did a "little" research. Lots of opinions here but it seems like the 10k provides the best growing conditions for the corals but has the yellowish / browing coloration. Others say that the differenace between 10k and 14 k in not major and will have little impact.

This is a fairly complex question...different K bulbs..different mgf...different ballests..etc. All have an impact.

My 2cents - research / research - if your happy with the color, don't change it. If you want a brighter or bluer look change them. I just changed my 2 150w 10k currents for 2 150w 14k Ushios and can't really tell the differance other than a little brighter and my wallet is lighter. If I had the change to do it again I would have gone with Phoenix 14k.
Old 08/13/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

When I changed from Current 10k to Current 14k (both 150w) there was absolutely a difference - 10k is more yellow/redish and the 14k is more crisp white with a little blue.
Old 08/13/2007, 01:22 PM
clams are your friends.

I have the same fixture and swapped the 10ks for a Coralife 14K and 20k. The 20 is over the softie side and the 14 is over the SPS side. I like it much more than the 10k's but I am curious about different manufacturers so I'll probably try others over the next few months. Click on my photos icon above to see some pics of the tank.
Old 08/13/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Well..I guess it would make sense to stay with the same brand and go to 14k. At least there wouldn't be any issue with manufacturer differences. Thanks for the help!