Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/28/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

New RS180 first timer

Just bought a Euroreef RS 180 (2007 new features) model with the 1/3 turn quick release. This is my first skimmer ever so this thing is foreign to me. The questions I have:

1. The book says 6 to 8" of water. My sump has 12" baffles. Is it going to be necessary to put a stand in my sump? The distributor where I bought it says the water depth is not too important with the new design. And the skimmer sitting in 12" of water will have little effect on the operation....yes, no, maybe?

2. I notice that the little handle on the pump will not allow me to push the elbow fitting completely on. The skimmer does not sit flush on the floor of the sump and it is a bit wobbly. If I had the little extra push on the fitting, everything would lay flat. It looks to me that if I want it to sit flat, I'll have to cut off the pump handle...anybody aware of this?

3. Do people pad the bottom of their skimmers? Seems like acryllic touching acryllic could create a buzzing sound due to vibration from the pump...no?

4. If the sticker is to be submerged under water, should it be peeled off?

5. Do you guys do the disinfecting routine on these skimmers?

6. Do people give their skimmers a 'test run' before they put them in the sump? Like test it in the bathtub just to make sure the pump comes on?

7. The lid to the skimmer does not fasten down. It just rests on the top. I've seen other skimmers where the lid is actually bolted on. Am I missing any parts? There are holes in the lid. But at closer inspection, it looks like this is the way it is supposed to be. I have to ask.

Please bear with me. I've done a bunch of reading about skimmers and that is why I picked this one. But I have not seen any of the 'finer' points discussed. I've seen plenty of arguments about which one to buy....that's for sure. But I believe I picked a great skimmer. The problem is that I've never seen one before. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04/28/2007, 01:46 PM
RC Sponsor

jdjeff58,

Congratulations on your purchase! Let me lend a hand to your questions...

1) The ideal water level for the RS180 is right at the top of the inlet elbow. That optimizes pump efficiency and ability to adjust the outlet pipe which controls the minimum water level in the skimmer and thus the foamate level and skimmate quality. If the water level is too high it will raise the minimum water level in the skimmer and make it less flexible/ efficient.

2)Try pulling out the inlet pipe a bit. That will allow more flexibility when connecting the pump outlet elbow to the body. It is not uncommon on the RS Series for there to be a small offset between the pump outlet and inlet. It will not negatively affect skimmer performance in any way.

3)Neoprene (wetsuit material) is an excellent buffer between the skimmer body/ pump and the sump floor. It can go a long way towards eliminating/ limiting the transfer of vibrational energy from the skimmer pump to the sump to the cabinet etc...

4) The sticker will not peel of nor should it be peeled off. It is waterproof vinyl. No Worries

5) A warm water & vinegar bath is very helpful to clean the skimmer out before installing it. It will minimize the break in period if not eliminate it.

6)Not usually.

7)The lid does not fasten to the cup top. The groove on the lid rests on the rim of the cup. The holes are for ventilation so that pressure will not build up in the cup and cause the lid to POP off...

Hope those answers help.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the skimmer!!!

-Jeff
Old 04/28/2007, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

euro reef

The level does effect the skimmer, if the water level cover's the outlet of the skimmer it will create backpressure, I would raise it up a couple of inches. Just make sure you water level stays consistent and does not fluctuate.

I used a mouse pad as a cushion to help with vibration.

Yes you do need the skimmer to sit flat, I would contact the seller if it does not, you may have a flaw or a second, especially before cutting.

The lid just sits on top no problem, the euro reef skimmers have one of the best systems for removing the lid and collection cup.

I would not worry about the sticker

Deffinitely run it in your sink or bathtub for a few hours, and check operation. Use warm water with some white vinegar to help remove some of the oils in the plastic, this helps with break in.
Old 04/28/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by euroreef
jdjeff58,

Congratulations on your purchase! Let me lend a hand to your questions...

1) The ideal water level for the RS180 is right at the top of the inlet elbow.

3)Neoprene (wetsuit material) is an excellent buffer between the skimmer body/ pump and the sump floor.

Ok...I need a follow up on the 2 items above.

1. The top of the elbow is 7". With a 12" sump water level (baffle height), I would have to raise the skimmer 5"? Sound right? Any suggestions on how to do that without destroying my $400 sump? I was thinking of setting it on some egg crate (lighting diffuser material). But how to raise it up is the question.

3. Oh where, oh where am I going to find a cut up wet suit?...or pieces of neoprene? Mouse pad sounds like a thrifty idea but isn't there a danger of some sort of chemical leaching into my system?

Thanks again.
Old 04/28/2007, 03:10 PM
Moved On

My suggestion on reducing vibrations is silicone is better than neoprene. Neoprene breaks down if left in saltwater for long periods and the particles do get into your tank and all over your sump when it breaks apart. I suggest the silicone potholders as they are thick and great at absorbing vibrations. As for sump waterlevel compared to the skimmer, yes, I would raise it on a stand. It's really easy to have 3 pieces of acrylic cut and glued together for a very stable platform. Congrats on an excellent skimmer choice, hopefully you receive the one with the Eheim pump as I believe that is a major improvement over the Genx pump.
Old 04/28/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by klam114
I suggest the silicone potholders
Could you tell me where I might look for these? I'm having a hard time visualizing silicone potholders. Thanks.
Old 04/28/2007, 04:59 PM
RC Sponsor

I second the silicone pot holders, that would be the best option. Most Bed & Bath stores have them.

As far as raising it up, you can use PVC pipe(s) - 6" DIA would be ideal underneath the eggcrate. If you are handy with platics, you coudl make a nice acrylic stand.

-Jeff
Old 04/28/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

My RS180 didnt come with a sticker

Think i might try and make a stand out of egg crate also! my baffles are around 12"
Old 04/28/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdblove_99
My RS180 didnt come with a sticker

Think i might try and make a stand out of egg crate also! my baffles are around 12"
Well...don't worry...they way my sticker sits in the sump, it's facing the back. I don't have the Eheim pump, but I got a sticker.
Old 04/28/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

yeah mine came with the gen x 4100 which i am very happy with.
Old 04/28/2007, 06:46 PM
High Plains Drifter

The RS180 doesn't come with an eheim. Only the CS/RC models come with an eheim.

You will see no real difference in performance as long as you have a newer impeller (which I'm sure you do). The eheim is just quieter.

HTH

Great to see you on the boards Jeff.

Jim
Old 04/28/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimdogg187
Great to see you on the boards Jeff.
Thanks Jim.....I've been hanging around here since Feb. I just pulled the trigger this month. I have just about all the dry goods and they just delivered the AGA 120 today. Now I'm sliding the thing around the basement looking for a sensible home for it. I think I finally decided where it's going. Even with all this new stuff that I have here, it seems so far away until I finally get some water in it.
Old 05/01/2007, 05:11 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jdjeff58
Could you tell me where I might look for these? I'm having a hard time visualizing silicone potholders. Thanks.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0000CFV7Q

I've seen them less expensive on eBay if you buy a couple. Works great as I got this suggestion from the dealer who I purchase my most recent skimmer from. It seems he suggests these silicone potholders to all his customers. I found the Kitchen Aide brand uses slightly thicker silicone.

Excellent choice on your skimmer purchase. I just bought an H&S, switched over from many years of using ER on various tanks.
Old 05/01/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef Sponger
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0000CFV7Q

I've seen them less expensive on eBay if you buy a couple. Works great as I got this suggestion from the dealer who I purchase my most recent skimmer from. It seems he suggests these silicone potholders to all his customers. I found the Kitchen Aide brand uses slightly thicker silicone.

Excellent choice on your skimmer purchase. I just bought an H&S, switched over from many years of using ER on various tanks.
Thanks!!