Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/07/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Fish help?

I posted this photo in the Reef Fish forum but only got a nibble. I haven't gotten any eq. yet, but I'm beginning to form an imaginary fish list in my head. My plans are for a 75 with a sump/fuge starting with fish and rock and would like to move into beginner coral. Are these fish off limits to a newcomer?? Just curious. I saw one of these in the LFS and found the pic after searching for a Clown Sand Wrasse. Here ya go.

Old 03/07/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

well i can tell you that you wont be able to keep on in a 75g tank. Here's a link to them...
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...pcatid=382&N=0

they get 2 feet long...much too big for a 75. And personally...i think thats too big for the 150g that liveaquaria recommends, but they do that on all their fish...they put the "minimum" tank size down a bunch because they're also trying to sell the stuff...tell the people w/smaller tanks that something will fit in their tanks and they wont even research or whatever about that particular fish and just buy it, you know?
Old 03/07/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sir_dudeguy
they get 2 feet long...much too big for a 75.
Geez....shows how much I know. Is that true for ALL the wrasses? Those are some pretty fish.
Old 03/07/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Look at the Carpenter's wrasse or some of the different fairy wrasses. Some a very, very colorful. I haven't checked about tank size for that species, just know they may be an option.
Old 03/07/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

hes a twin spot wrasse, Coris aygula, generally not reef safe due to they search and flip rocks looking for food (destructive). mine is still small but i plan on having a bigger tank in the next year, they are very cool fish and can be hard to keep, but mine eats flake food so no worries, for a 75g id say no unless a bigger tank is in your near future
Old 03/07/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

So I can get a wrasse..just not the 2 footer. I like that website and the compatibilty chart.
Old 03/07/2007, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

you should have no prob with a wrasse, six lines are a good choice, just check around to see they re diet as some are not reef safe
Old 03/07/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is that true for ALL the wrasses? Those are some pretty fish.
not at all

These are all reef safe fishes...
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...fm?pCatId=1378

I personally have had 2 sixline wrasses and they were both amazing fish that had quite unfortunate endings One got sucked up a powerhead, the other jumped out. In a 75 they would be a great fish, but i wouldnt put it in anything less than 30 (which you dont gotta worry about ). And pretty much any other fairy/flasher wrasse would be small enough too i think...just look at this list...they're all reef safe (safe with corals, some not as safe with inverts but still not bad..)

Quote:
I like that website and the compatibilty chart.
i'm assuming you're talkin about liveaquaria.com? If so, just be careful. They often give false info, but generally just on tank sizes because like i said...they wanna sell. So it would be a good idea to always double check here, you know?
Old 03/07/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

oh and that pic on liveaquaria of the sixline wrasse...thats a horrible pic of that fish lol. I dont see too many GOOD pictures of this fish ever. It truly does not do that fish justice, as it does not show its colors hardly, and it just looks weird.
Old 03/07/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
i'm assuming you're talkin about liveaquaria.com? If so, just be careful. They often give false info
Yeah...I'll certainly come back here....I just haven't seen a site like that yet. It least I get to see 'em all at one spot so I can get the hang of recognizing their mugs when I see 'em. The compatibility chart with the crosshair thing is pretty cool.
Old 03/07/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

ya thats basically what i use those sort of sites for...just so i can recognize most of the fish/corals and at least get a general idea of how to care for them.

Another one to REALLY not listen to is marinecenter.com. Go look at the recommended tank sizes for their tangs and triggers. Both are very large fish that require even more space than the average fish because they're really active...The smallest tang should be in no less than like 75g...they have them for like 20 gallons...pretty bad.

Also, sidetracked i know...but i just saw under your name that you're an "instrument technician"....what sort of instruments? Just curious
Old 03/08/2007, 05:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Also, sidetracked i know...but i just saw under your name that you're an "instrument technician"....what sort of instruments?
I work on (troubleshoot/calibrate) process instrumentation loops. Level, pressure, flow, temperature, pH, conductivity, air sampling eq. Any sort of production facility has this eq...ie power plants, chemical plants, pharmaceuticals, refineries etc. Right now I work for an contract engineering company and I drive around likle a fool trying to make people happy.