Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/06/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Skimmer types

I have now begun to research skimmers. I will have approx 30gal sump/fuge, 75g RR tank. Starting with rock and fish to some coral later. I see there are a zillion skimmers on the market. Here's what I found out about the available types minus the manufacture:

Venturri
Spray Induction
Needle Wheel
Downdraft

I have seen a write up on these types. But the write up was on Aqua C's website and they were obviously touting the spray induction. Once again, I can't use the search function. But I recall seeing on this site (on a previous after-midnight search) a post about 'what skimmer do you have'. It appeared that the Aqua C. showed up the most with a bunch of other close seconds.

So can anyone give me a clue, perhaps, in which way to go with a skimmer TYPE (in sump) that will provide me with years of trouble free operation with the ability to move into a reef setup down the road.

Thanks again.
Old 03/06/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

bump....and now I see there is also a Beckett.
Old 03/06/2007, 06:38 PM
RC Mod

I went with Euro-Reef, but there's lots of opinion.
Old 03/06/2007, 06:44 PM
Latenight Reefer

Most well known skimmers are all good really. I've has many types of skimmers over my time in the saltwater hobby. They range in price range from venturi's usually being the cheapest to becketts which tend to be the most expensive, but there are exceptions.

What do you plan on keeping in your reef, and how much is your budget?
Old 03/06/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jer77
What do you plan on keeping in your reef, and how much is your budget?
Well...I am pretty much starting from scratch. I'm going to be reef ready, but will only start with the fish and rock. I guess the typical starter fish will be my short term goal.....clowns and other clown friendly's. I haven't gotten to the part where I research the fish yet...let alone the coral. I am getting in on the ground floor and want to keep it simple till I get the hang of things.

In the mean time, I'm trying to gather the eq. that will at least allow me to expand in the relative sense. I want to know what to buy so I can begin my sump.

I'm not opposed to spending the right amount of dough for the task at hand. I don't want to skimp on the skimmer, just like I'm not going to skimp on the RO/DI.

I'm willing to put out the extra bucks now to have some room to grow into some beginner corals. And I will be asking questions before I do that. $300 or so doesn't really frighten me. I usually get the better model anyway. I buy Milwaukee before I buy Black and Decker.

What I don't want is to be forced to buy another skimmer for the same tank later on because the first skimmer was just adequate....know what I mean??

Last edited by jdjeff58; 03/06/2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03/06/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

double post

Last edited by jdjeff58; 03/06/2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03/06/2007, 08:33 PM
Latenight Reefer

Ya I know what you mean, my LFS caused me these problems mostly. I think you'll be happy with a Euro-Reef or an ASM. I prefer the Euro-Reef since for me since it creates less micobubbles than my ASM. Both of these skimmers are very easy for beginners to install and use. They are as we say 'plug and play'. They are the needle wheel impeller type and work well for all kinds of reef types. They run around $200-$400 for a 75 gallon tank. They would fit well in a 29 gal sump too. I'd suggest a Euro-Reef RS-100 or RS-135 for a 75 gallon depending on your bioload.

The other types of skimmers are also good. Like the AquaC, which I also have for my sps frag tank. It is a great skimmer, probably working better at skimmate production than the Euro-Reef. It has some problems however that a beginner might not know how to address. The pump comes separate and sometimes the recommended pump seems not to work correctly. I had to try through trial and error to get the right pump. It also stops skimming when you put your hands in the water or start to feed your fish. Plus IMO it has a long break in period.

I have not tried the beckett skimmers, but I'm sure they are similar to the AquaC in picking the correct pump, and they also cost a little more than the Euro-Reef. But if you want a really powerful skimmer than you want one of these.

I think what your worried about getting is a venturi skimmer. They just use a pump with an air hose similar to the neddle wheel type, but without the needle wheel. They are brands like a seaclone and others. They work decently at best. They need constant adjusting in the air valve and cause other problems too.

All and all I think a Euro-Reef would be your best choice. Its one of the best needle wheel skimmers out there. Built with quality plastics, and will last a lifetime.
Old 03/06/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jer77
I'd suggest a Euro-Reef RS-100 or RS-135 for a 75 gallon depending on your bioload.
Thanks...

Concerning the bio-load.....would it make more sense to do the RS-135 from the start. I really am not in a position to forecast my future bio-load. But since the initial bio-load will be less than a future bio-load, will the 135 be too much? I guess what I'm asking is it possible to have too much skimmer in the beginning if I chose the larger model? Is there such a thing as over-skimming?? AND...my LFS (2 blocks away) sells Coralife. Is this a Black and Decker?

My concern about mail order is what the heck happens if a skimmer decides to quit. Don't even tell me I need to have a spare.
Old 03/06/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

I had an AquaMedic Turboflotor 1000 (needlewheel pump) on a 72 gallon FOWLR and was happy with it - I thought it was a good skimmer for the price.
Old 03/06/2007, 10:31 PM
Latenight Reefer

I don't think there is such a thing as over skimming. Euro-Reef's ratings for tank size are very close to what they actually should be.

Lots of people have coralifes and love them. I have one of those too. I have a lot of different brands. Lots of them are working but lots of them are sitting in the garage waiting for me to mod them somehow cause they don't work right. Anyway, I ran my coralife in the sump for a while, but it ran fairly poorly. Now I run it HOB of my sump and it runs better. There are easy mods that you can do to them, but that requires a little DIY work.

About the skimmers breaking, some might spring a leak around where plubing parts comes together, especially where the outlet from the pump goes into the chamber. But this can be fixed with some silicon or pvc glue.

No you do not need a spare if you order mail order. There are mail order places closer to PA than california. www.premiumaquatics.com has a nice selection of good skimmers and is in Indy. www.saltycritter.com is in OH. Theres probably some closer you just have to look. It will only take a few days to get a replacement part. I have never had to with any of my working skimmers. If you really want something built like a tank, get an AquaC, a Bullet2, or a Trigger. An AquaC is a great skimmer if you get the right pump. Its super quiet, small, it will never break, plus the skimming is great. There are trade-offs for each brand though so it up to you to choose what you want in you skimmer.
Old 03/06/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

jer77: Regarding trial and error with the pump for the AquaC, which model AquaC are you talking about, and what pump did you end up with(at what cost), is the Surface Prefilter Box neccessary?
Old 03/06/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Go to Lancaster, That Fish Place, and buy an ASM on a Wednesday (in march) and get 30% off (pick up a coupon at the information center).

Last edited by GlobalEvan; 03/06/2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03/06/2007, 11:15 PM
Latenight Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by vangoghfish
jer77: Regarding trial and error with the pump for the AquaC, which model AquaC are you talking about, and what pump did you end up with(at what cost), is the Surface Prefilter Box neccessary?
I'm not really sure what your asking about the prefilter box, but yes you need to have an overflow/prefilter box to a sump. Unless your talking about a Remora. I think the prefilter box is necessary so that junk and fish doesn't get caught in the intake. As for the problems with the pumps it doesn't concern the Remoras I don't think.

Quote:
Originally posted by GlobalEvan
come to Lancaster, That Fish Place, and buy an ASM on a Wednesday (in march) and get 30% off (pick up a coupon at the information center). You might call first to make sure we have the model you want on the shelf and have us hold it for you until you get there. You can stock up on a bunch of other stuff while in the store.
Thats a good deal. But for future reference I think you need to be signed up as a sponser before you can support a certain FS. Thats what sponsers are for I guess.
Old 03/06/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

I need to be a sponsor or the store? because the store is one ( http://reefcentral.com/sponsors/ #12 down). If I broke the rules I do apologize, I'll go try and check the user agreement.
Old 03/06/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

okay, acording to the user agreement I must clearly state that I have a part time job at That Fish Place.
I think the 30% off deal is pretty awsome (it's way better than my employee discount), and that's why I posted it. I personally won't see any gains either way.