Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/31/2005, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Help with Tank Selection

Hello everyone this is my first post in the nano forum. I have just recently thought about doing a nano. My 55 developed a leaky seal on the bottom and I lost a majority of my livestock. I managed to save 3 RBTA's, and some assorted shrooms and polyps. I am going to be moving in december so I don't wanna invest in a new larger tank for now.. That will come soon enough thinking about a 90 Bow.. Anyway I was curious was is the best nano setup to buy. I know that this is a loaded question so I expect loaded answers.. I have around 3 years expierence in the salt hobby. I am looking for something with great flow and great lighting. Is there somewhere that I can get a turnkey nano or will I have to piece it together I would really like to avoid having to buy a kit then upgrade lighting and pump for greater flow. Thanks.. Oh I would like to keep my Bta's, shroom, polyps, and would love to get into some SPS if possible THanks..
Old 06/01/2005, 08:28 AM
cubed

Nanocustoms seems to be the leader of the pack when it comes to fully loaded nano systems for people who don't want to DIY their own. http://www.nanocustoms.com/catalog/
Old 06/01/2005, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

FWIW I would go with a 30G Cube, 250W MH Lighting, and a nice skimmer. You clould keep just about whatever you wanted in there. The pre-built packages are many times over priced.
Old 06/01/2005, 08:47 AM
sarcastic reply expert

i agree on the 30g cube. awesome tank (and it wouldnt be to much of a bear to move.) - i'd love to have one in my house someday.
Old 06/01/2005, 08:47 AM
cubed

I wouldn't want to move my 30 cube. No way. Give me a 15 gallon or less tank and I'll move it no problem.

Those package deals are overpriced, but if you aren't a DIY kind of person, then it's the way to go.
Old 06/01/2005, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Who makes the thirty gallon cubes... and what are the dimensions I have a remora pro with a mag drive pump on it i think it flows around 350 gph?.. Not sure anyway where would I be able to find one of these tanks and what is the best price on hallides that would be good for this tank..Prob a 250?.. But what about suplemental atinic lighting?.. I really want the deep blue color on my nano.. THanks..
Old 06/01/2005, 08:40 PM
sarcastic reply expert

Oceanic makes the 30g cubes... 20.5 x 18.5 x 21.5 are the dimensions (i believe).

IMO the best lighting solution would be a 20k 250w HM. the 20k spectrum gives you all the blue hue you desire.. i think they look incredible.
Old 06/02/2005, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

so i walked into petco today of all places.. 50 gallon cube with the metals collection stand for 300 buks any thoughts on this price from someone is this a good deal and will the 250 hallide be enough for it?.. THanks.
Old 06/02/2005, 03:04 AM
Moved On

250 alone enough for a 50....thats a little on the low side, assuming the 50 is about 24" cube. A single 400 might be in order with a good lumenarc reflector. ITs a good deal if you want to pay for the looks, othewise a regular 50B should only cost you $200, tank and stand.
Old 06/02/2005, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Where can I get said lumenarc reflector?.. THanks again..