Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/18/2005, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Best Brand of Glass Tank?

Hello all I am need of some help.. I came home from work yesterday to find my reed about 25% down on water.. My tank sprung a leak.. Anyway to make a long story short I am in the market for a new tank. I previously had a 55 for about 6 - 7 years. I would like to go bigger.. Thinking about a 90 bow front. Who makes the best most reliable glass tanks..I know this is a very subjective quesiton but i have traumatized by my recent expierence and dont wanna see it happen again.. Please post your thoughts and give some reason.. I don't need xx is the best cause i think so.. THanks..
Old 05/18/2005, 09:12 AM
Zooxanthellae Addict

A subjective answer for a subjective question IMO most glass tanks are equal, some tanks have better craftsmanship than others, but in the end its 5 planes of glass held together by silicone. Oceanic is one of the most frequently suggested brands, but what I would suggest is go look around at different tanks, inspect the silicone, thickness of the glass, fittings, trim, ect. You could go out in search of a particular brand and still end up getting a tank that may one day leak. HTH
Old 05/18/2005, 10:35 AM
It tastes like burning

Both of my tanks have come from glasscages.com. They are based on the west side of Nashville, TN. If you're close enough, just drive down and pick it up. That what I did when I lived in Carbondale.
Old 05/18/2005, 12:40 PM
Frugal Reefer

I have never had an issue with All-Glass tanks and they are priced right IMO. I would avoid the bow fronts if you want piece of mind though.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 05/18/2005, 12:43 PM
They callin' me!

Why is that? (My last tank leaked, now i have a 46g bow. should I be freaking?)
Old 05/18/2005, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

I know that when I bought my 60G many years ago, the some of the cheaper tanks I found had thinner thickness of glass. The 60s that were $40-50 more had thicker glass and better craftsmanship (insert "you get what you pay for" theory here).
Old 05/18/2005, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

Its more about the 72 gallon and larger bowfronts. There were a bunch that blew out a few years ago. I now refuse to stand in front of my friends 155 bowfront.
Old 05/18/2005, 02:21 PM
Frugal Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by zoltetov
Why is that? (My last tank leaked, now i have a 46g bow. should I be freaking?)
No reason to freak IMO, I have just read the assorted horror stories mostly with the 72g's.

Old 05/18/2005, 03:09 PM
They callin' me!

ok...i feel better! Sorry for the thread-jacking!
Old 05/18/2005, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

I have had my 72 bowfront for about 5yrs. I did develop a very small leak about a month ago. but it was in the back pane seam.
I dont think it had anything to do with the bowfront
Old 05/18/2005, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

My brother has a all glass 72 gal bowfront. The tank has only been set up a year or so but seems like a very well built tank.
Old 05/18/2005, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments everyone.. I think that I am going to go with a 90 Oceanic from there new metals collection.. Cool looking finish on the stand and canopy that looks like stainless.. I gave up the bow front due to cost.. I can't believe the prices I am hearing around here.. 90 Bow from oceanic with stand and top ranging 1900-900.. can't believe the range on the same product.. I almost choked on the 1900$ one.. This was for the exact same tank.. Cant believe it.. Thanks again everyone..
Old 05/18/2005, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

The "best brand" of tank sitting on a sub-par stand is going to be a sub-par tank period. A sub-par tank sitting on a quality stand has an excellent chance lasting a very very long time.
I'm not saying anything about you, your stand, your tank, or anything. I am just throwing that out there.
Make sure that your stand is level, sturdy, and level. This will prevent the stand from stressing the seams of the tank. Hope this helps.
Old 05/18/2005, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

By the way Oceanic makes excellent tanks. Ohh and did you notice that they extend you a warranty on the tank only if you get their brand of stand. Hmmmm interesting. Its because they know that it is flat and level and will provide the tank proper, even support.
Last thing... a 90 Oceanic is a very good size. Make sure you submit pictures... I want to see.
Old 05/18/2005, 11:31 PM
Reefaholic

Lee Mar
Old 05/18/2005, 11:48 PM
Frugal Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by JustOneMoreTank
By the way Oceanic makes excellent tanks. Ohh and did you notice that they extend you a warranty on the tank only if you get their brand of stand. Hmmmm interesting. Its because they know that it is flat and level and will provide the tank proper, even support.
Last thing... a 90 Oceanic is a very good size. Make sure you submit pictures... I want to see.
All-Glass does the same thing (at least from my LFS). No stand, no warranty. My tank is in wall, so I had to wave the warranty on the tank. Two years later I guess my stand is level and flat or at least close enough.

Old 05/19/2005, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

from my experience with Oceanic aquariums they scratch easy!
Old 05/23/2005, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

anyone know how much flow that the 90 gallon rr bows are rated for. I am wondering if it's enough or should I look into having it drilled with for a close loop as well.. Still thinking about the tank. I might just cut my loses after my other tank crashed.. thanks.
Old 05/23/2005, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Have you seen that "stainless" in person? If it is the same one I think it is, you may want to rethink that. If it is stainless I think it is a paper thin sheet laminated over plastic.
Old 05/23/2005, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

I have seen it.. I know the canopy is not the greatest.. I am worried about it melting with hallide lights.. The stand is wood with the laminate over top of it though. . I like the way it looks.. But i agree that it's not the heaviest build quality i have seen..
Old 05/23/2005, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

I am not a big fan of wood furniture and I ended up having a stainless steel stand made. I was just warning you if you were going off of a online picture. To do real stainless it does cost a ton. Good luck with it. At least you will get the warrantee now. Jesse
Old 05/27/2005, 11:49 AM
CTARS Member

I have a 72 AGA bow and have had it for 7 yrs. Moved it once and still no problems. I am going to a 180 next yr and it will be a AGA with their stand. I like the piece of mind with a good warranty.

Glass Cages are less expensive but they only warranty theirs for 90 days. A while back I heard Oceanic was having some quality issue, I haven't heard of any lately.