Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/31/2004, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

BTA Question

Hello All I have a BTA that has an interesting story.. I bought this bta from LFS about 2 years ago...I got it and it was totally bleached.. Almost translucent... Around one year ago it split.
6" to two 3" .. During this time period BTA had gottena more solid white color.. About 4 weeks after the BTA had split We had a bad storm and lost power for 36 hours straight.. Lost a false perc due to that.
a 5" green brain started to deteriate about 2 weeks after..
Last August moved to my current appt.. Had to tear down tank and move it.. Everything made it fine..

Anyway Over the last
3 - 4 months

One of my white bta's has started to gain lots of color..
almost looks rose.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.. lol..
anyway the other is still totally white..

Now my question is it possible for a BTA to produce a RBTA after splitting.. Is it some reccesive trate or something.. .. anyway would love to hear some comments..
Old 03/31/2004, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

i am very surprised that a white anemone has lived so long and even split, but if their was any algae then it might have all transfered to one smaller anemone and grew
still bleached anemones should not live that long
how much do you feed and what
Old 04/03/2004, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

I usually target feed it some brine or formula 1 about once every couple days.. Sometimes I don't target but my GSM always makes sure that both anenomes get some food.. Over the last couple of weeks I have been feeding a little heavier trying to induce a split on the anenome that is colored up now.. I swear it looks just like the rose anenomes I see at the LFS.. or maybe it's just me hoping to see something.. .. I don't know..
Old 04/03/2004, 03:20 PM
Denizen of the Deep

How bout some pics Big_Kid?
Old 04/13/2004, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

the only camera i have is from my cell phone and it really doesn't do my tank justice.. I have been thinking about a new camera but can't decide what I want. I will post a pic. It's terrible and the color of the anemone is wrong no white balance on my camera @ least that works well anyway..
Old 04/13/2004, 11:34 PM
Flea Slide

It looks healthy enough. Is the whiter one getting enough light?
Old 04/14/2004, 10:39 AM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

maybe it was a bleached rbta when you bought it and as it had no color on -just white- no one understood that it was a rbta and thought it was a green bta?

I got a bleached bta too and now its turning into a orange-pinkish color but i am sure it is going to turn into brown. This should be the color between brown and white and maybe same thing with you?

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 04/15/2004, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

as far as light goes.. I have a 2x65 smartlight. This is the same light I have had since I set my tank up...I have changed the bulbs.. anyway the other anenome is the same height in the tank.. I don't know what to think. I was just curious if anyone else has had this expierence.. Thanks to all who replied.
Old 04/15/2004, 12:33 PM
Flea Slide

two 65 watters on a 55 gal most probbly is not enough light for the anemones. My anemones wandered around until they settled between 12 and 14 inches under a 400 watt metal halide and two 96 watt pc's
Old 04/15/2004, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
two 65 watters on a 55 gal most probbly is not enough light for the anemones. My anemones wandered around until they settled between 12 and 14 inches under a 400 watt metal halide and two 96 watt pc's
I disagree.. My anenome(s) are just about 2 years old now.. My one has split into two.. The bigger of the two the parent is now around 6" the smaller child is more like 3. The bigger of two is definetly growing. It has doubled in size since the split. I really wish I had a better digicam to show pictures with.. Here is a pic from over a year ago.. This is before the split.. Also with a different clown the the present one.. He didn't survive my power outage..
Old 04/15/2004, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

oh ya i forgot to mention that my anemone has never wandered. I placed him in the tank on the rock that the parent is on today.. That is after 2 years and one tank move.. The child is on the same rock that it moved two after the first day of splitting. I positioned it on the other side of my tank and it has never moved either. I really don't think that light is a factor here..