Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/18/2003, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Great Moon Light!!!!

Hello all I thought that I would just pass along this for everyone here. I bought this kit about 2 years ago and never installed it but I was reading about the advantages of moonlights in an aquaruim and thought why not.. I knew there was a reason for buying it.. LOL.. These lights are great and there pretty cheap..

There called aquarium laser system . they produce a very soft glow and you can adjust them to point whereever your would like just thought that I would pass it along.. Hope everyone enjoys them as much as i do.. I have a pic don't know how well it will turn out. I only have 2 of the lights installed now but just ordered 3 more... 1 control module will operate 5 lights definely enough for my 55 if not too much they come in blue, green, and purple..
jeas i sound like a salesman.. lol...
Old 05/18/2003, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

30 veiws and no replies?.. hmm guess everyone doesn't share my thoughts..
Old 05/19/2003, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Hey Big Kid! Thanks for the tip on the moonlights.I too read something a few weeks ago about not leaving your tank in complete darkness as it is stressfull for the fish.I do have some ambient light from the streetlights in front of my house, but sometimes the blinds get shut all the way and it gets pretty dark.Did you pick them up at your lfs ,or order them online?
Old 05/19/2003, 12:06 AM
Hola

I am buying one of those in a few weeks. How much energy do they consume?
Old 05/19/2003, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

When i first got the kit it was (don't laugh) walmart...I just ordered some 3 more lights to add on from

Here

as far as energy.. I can't imagine much, they are very low output. Compared to the 550 watt power supply in my puter a 36" tv and my tank i can't imagine my bill will change at all
Old 08/19/2003, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by asmujica
I am buying one of those in a few weeks. How much energy do they consume?
not much actually most are only 1 or 2 watts we have 2 of marc's moonshine lamps they work great

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=9873
Old 08/19/2003, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

I got an even better moonlight glow. My computer is in the same room with my 30gal reef. And I have Blue Cathlode lights in my computer case with a blue tinted window. So when all the lights go off in here theres just a blue glow threwout the room since I never shut my PC off.
Old 08/19/2003, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

the custom sealife moonlites are also really nice. Only 1 watt of power. It looks very natural and causes a shimmering effect when angled at the water.
Old 08/19/2003, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

BigKid - I use the same setup on a 55 - I have 2 blue ones - two on each side. I mounted mine just above the surface of the water, and it does have a very realistic moonlight effect because of the waves on top of the water.

Matt
Old 08/20/2003, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

I use those walmart led's for my 29 gallon night light. Works good. I aim them at my spider reflector and they glimmer like halides.....perfect amount of light for nighttime
Old 08/30/2003, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Reliability issue

I used the system with 2 of the laser modules for almost 6 months in my work micro. Every one corroded after 3-4 months and the lens cracked. I loved the look, but got tired of buying new mods.
Old 08/30/2003, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

I used the guts from a broken outdoor 12v light put a 4watt red bulb bought a radio shack 12v converter and presto