Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/30/2003, 02:25 PM
Fish Collector

I have used it myself when a couple of my fish weren't doing well and had great results. A number of other people that I know or have posted in the newsgroup also have used it and had similar results.

I never heard from anywhere that it could be harmful and if the fish is sick and going to die how much more harmful could it be.
Old 05/30/2003, 02:38 PM
I have no catchy title

Those aren't results. The overwhelming majority of fish infected with ich will recover on their own.

I'll search for info on the garlic/liver connection.
Old 05/30/2003, 02:40 PM
Fish Collector

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Flanders
[B]Those aren't results. The overwhelming majority of fish infected with ich will recover on their own.

Where did you get that from?

Without any treatment the majority of fish will die if not from ich than froma secondary infection.
Old 05/30/2003, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Once again thank you all for all the information.. I am using garlic to prevent to sickness and disease.. I have been feeding my coral beauty for around 4 months with no adverse affects.. She is fat and healthy.. LOL.. I call her Rose.. My girlfriend picked her out so I make sure to do all possilbe to keep this fish as healthy as possible.. I am interested in anyone else with opinions on the adverse affects of garlic?.. As for the 2 hippos I suppose that so many expierenced reefers can't be wrong.. I will probally get rid(aka take back to LFS) one when I move the tank. Can anyone give me a reasonable price on a drilled 125? I have been looking at LFS at seems a little high.. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions I am sorry If I have come off as a bratt in my previous posts, Sometimes I think I just get carried away.. These fish were In a little cube at the LFS and I thought they would be happier with me than in there 2.5 gallon home at the LFS.. I will attach some pics of the hippos and my BTA w Golden Stripe Clown hosting in it
Old 05/30/2003, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

here's a pic of my BTA and Clown
Old 05/30/2003, 02:54 PM
Moved On

Please return the tangs. The move will be to stressful for them.
Discontinue regular use of the garlic.
I fully support the use of garlic as an ich preventative when you first place a new fish in the aquarium and when a fish has a mild case of ich.
I do not support the continued use as you must look at garlic as a medicine until research confirms whether there is any long term effects.
Old 05/30/2003, 02:56 PM
I have no catchy title

An article about ich, garlic and the liver:

http://www.reefs.org/library/article...tes-jorge.html

Quote:
Where did you get that from? Without any treatment the majority of fish will die if not from ich than froma secondary infection.
Where did you get THAT from? I've had fish get ich all the time, practically any time I add a fish, move a fish or move one of my tanks. Very rarely have I had a fish succumb to it. Usually with a proper diet and environmental conditions the fish's own immune system will beat the parasite. But it does depend on the individual fish and individual circumstance.

I take your own experience as evidence supporting my statement. I really, really doubt that garlic had anything to do with your fish recovering. They probably would have recovered on their own.

edit: Just saw your photos. That BTA looks rather bleached, but it may just be your camera. Is it really that color? Are you feeding it anything? Your clown is really nice, I've had a gold stripe for about seven years now.

It's very unscientific to say that ANY change you make to your tank resulted in ANYTHING. You may have gotten the same result had you done nothing at all.

Last edited by Flanders; 05/30/2003 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05/30/2003, 03:13 PM
Fish Collector

Most people when their fish get ich unless treated die. I think you have a problem if your fish are getting ich all the time.

I think the 1st part of the article states what I said about garlic working. The part where it may cover liver damage is if excess amount are used.
Old 05/30/2003, 03:16 PM
Fish Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by naesco
Please return the tangs. The move will be to stressful for them.
Discontinue regular use of the garlic.
I fully support the use of garlic as an ich preventative when you first place a new fish in the aquarium and when a fish has a mild case of ich.
I do not support the continued use as you must look at garlic as a medicine until research confirms whether there is any long term effects.

I agree the use of garlic should just be used when the fish us coming down with something and not something that should be over used.

As far a keeping the Hippo tang, they look fine in your tank and I would just leave them there but be on the look out for any fighting that could happen.

Don't be bully by anyone else into giving the tangs back they'll be fine.
Old 05/30/2003, 03:20 PM
I have no catchy title

You didn't read the article very closely. How much is too much?

Based on this:

Quote:
Most people when their fish get ich unless treated die. I think you have a problem if your fish are getting ich all the time.
I'm done discussing this with you. Try saving your lame cheap shots and actually post some useful information in the future.
Old 05/30/2003, 03:29 PM
Fish Collector

Like I said, and the article mention, garlic is good for helping to cure ich and secondary infections. I know alot of people that have used it and had good results and if you look on the newsgroups you will see other people that have had success with it. Now it y cause liver problems but if your fish dies of ich then liver problems are the least of your worrys. By the way don't you think using cooper also causes problem but most people use it.

And if you don't think it a problem that your fish are coming down with ich everything you move or add a new fish then I don't know what to say.

I guess if you don;t go along with you whatever I say then it complete wrong and useless. Well like I stated other and myself have used garlic and have had good results from it and no problems.
Old 05/30/2003, 03:38 PM
I have no catchy title

Yep, that's about what I expected.
Old 05/30/2003, 03:41 PM
Fish Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by Flanders
Yep, that's about what I expected.
Yeah and your some winner.
Old 05/30/2003, 06:49 PM
RC Mod

IME, many, many fish do get ick, at some point along the transfer chain, and the majority of them do improve on their own with good husbandry and letting their immune systems do the work.

However, when ick infections get serious, then the fish definitely need help from us, whether it be in the form of garlic, hyposalinity, or, if worse comes to worse, copper.

Looking through Horge's article, the stuff with the liver is almost pure conjecture. There's plenty of evidence that there are substances that are broken down by mammalian livers that are not dealt with in fish, as evidenced by the fatty liver disease that develops in marine fish fed freshwater feeders. So you cannot assume that the doses needed to get past the first-pass metabolism of the liver are as high as they would be in rats, and so you cannot assume that the same sort of damage happens.

That said, since the jury is still out on that, I also wouldn't advise using garlic constantly.

Dave
Old 05/30/2003, 06:50 PM
RC Mod

PS I'm just going to ignore the last couple of posts above this, and hope that everyone is able to calm down enough and keep this a productive thread.
Old 05/31/2003, 08:03 PM
Guardian of Little People

Couple of things:

I have had several hepatus tangs, always multiple specimens, and I have never known them to fight.

A 55 gallon tank is woefully small, and I wouldn't even feel good about having them in a 125.

Hepatus tangs spend an inordinate amount of time wedged in rockwork hiding, so they need enough space to call their own.

When not wedged in the rockwork, they will dart around the tank, so swimming space makes for a much more natural environment.

They are planktonic feeders, but they still enjoy sheets of nori.

They are a wonderful fish.

Brian

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 06/02/2003, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

WOW.. DRAMA.. lol..I am wondering what everyone thinks about the health of my BTA and Pair of Hippos I think they look great but I have wrong before..
Old 06/02/2003, 02:57 PM
Fish Collector

Just watch the Hippo's as when they're small that when you get the most casualties.

I have a large Hippo for about 7-8 years in a 260gal and he looking a little long in the tooth but I'm growing another one in a 75gal as his replacement. I got him, just like you, at a small size like a quarter and he doing very well about 4" and very healty.
Old 06/02/2003, 03:15 PM
Guardian of Little People

Maronne, I don't think that 7 years is old.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 06/02/2003, 03:23 PM
Fish Collector

Yeah I know but the store had him for about 1 year, he was beat up some, that and he was large when they got him. So he older then 7 years. I not sure sure on the life span, my Passer was 16 1/2 before he die, but he bein slowing down of late and it a very aggressive feeding tank.
Old 06/02/2003, 03:59 PM
I have no catchy title

Quote:
I am wondering what everyone thinks about the health of my BTA and Pair of Hippos I think they look great but I have wrong before..
Like I said before, your BTA looks white and bleached. What color is it in person? What is your lighting, and are you feeding it?
Old 06/03/2003, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Just wanna toss my 2 cents in. I'm not taking anyones side. In nature, tangs swim miles & miles a day, and have territories that are HUGE. With this in mind, why are we arguing over 4' and 6' tanks, or even an 8' tank. ALL of these are too small if you get technical. I'd guess & say 99% of the fish available to us cover MASSIVE amounts of space in nature, and any tank, including public aquariums, is WAY too small compared to nature. In this hobby, we can't compare anything to nature, because simulating nature is just not possible. No matter what we do, or how big a tank we have, its not how they would normally live. Every time this topic comes up, a big arguement starts, and people start disrespecting one another. Its time we realize that we are all giving fish like tangs an "inhumane" home, compared to nature. All we can do is try our best, and take good care of our fish, given the new, tiny sized home for them.

Just imagine being locked in a small, empty room, forever. Pretty boring. Its too small for a human to live life in, and nowhere near what a normal human being would live in for real. Now, toss in some cool things, say, a TV, stereo, some video games, books, or whatever it is you like to do. Hell, toss in a hot babe and things get even better. So, in that small small room that'd be called your home, its nowhere near big enough, but now theres a much better environment, which will keep YOU less stressed. Sure, you'll be stressed in the limited space, but at least you'd be well taken care of.

Moral of the story? Why argue, and get upset, over a 4', or 6' tank discussion, when neither or them are normal. Just give it a good environment, and hope for the best!

Joe
Old 06/04/2003, 12:07 AM
D00D

so Matt davis 80 billion isnt worth millions of innocent lives

i think it is, if not whos lif eis it worth?

sorry couldnt resist
Old 06/04/2003, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flanders
Like I said before, your BTA looks white and bleached. What color is it in person? What is your lighting, and are you feeding it?
Sorry I didn't see your first post.. My BTA is white If was white when I got it from the LFS.. I have it in the top 6 inches of my 55 I have a smartlight with 2x65 watt 50-50 bulbs.. It seems to be happy.. I am basing this on the fact that it hasn't moved since I placed it in my tank.. I was hoping that It's colore would come back..I feed my tank a homemade mix of Brine, Fresh Shrimp, DT's, Flake, and since the addition of my hippos some lifeline.. The tips of his tenacles are a purple color just little dots..I thought that this was normal.. His mouth is firmly closed and seems to be healthy.. Is white not a normal color?.. If so is it bad that it is white and what I can I do to help with the color