Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/24/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Green Bubble Algae

New tank 120...4 weeks...just did 30% water change and added small clean up crew. It is a 30 gal algae pack from TFPlace. I am lighting with T5's and MH's 8 hours a day.

The 30 gallon Marine Algae Pack contains the following:

6 - Scarlet Hermits
5 - Turbo Snails
20 - Margarita Snails
15 - Red Leg Hermits

Anyway...I have been scanning the rocks with my trusty set of magnifying goggles and recently have been looking up the different growth's on the web for ID sake. I positively ID'd two green bubble algae clusters where the bubbles were about the size of a pencil eraser and smaller. I removed the two clusters as best I could with out breaking any...as far as I can tell.

Now, I am finding tinier bubble elsewhere in the tank. I'm not sure if they were present before or a result of possibly popping one of the clusters that I removed. In either case, I'm seeing more in the tank....about tapioca size.

I read the RC bubble algae article and was considering getting an Emerald crab. The article talked about knocking off the light supply or altering the nutrients. So here's my questions:

First...what is the major problem with bubble algae? Is it just looks, or can this pose a real threat? What would that threat be? Am I getting bent out of shape for nothing?

There seems to be mixed opinions on having an Emerald crab. Am I doomed for the life of the tank if I put one in there to hopefully clean this up?

Does anybody recommend cutting off the lights until it dies? Could this cause a problem with the rest of the rock? How long would it take to kill bubble algae in this manner?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06/24/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Fromy own experiences, emerald crabs, at least the seven I have, will not eat buble algae. Others might. The bubble algae itself, can be a problem if they start to spread and multilply. I have not yet been able to rid my tank of it completely. But yes, manually picking them out has been the best solution for me thus far. I currently have a coulple that I can see, but cannot get to as they are in a small crevice in a rock.
Old 06/24/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WingnutSr
Fromy own experiences, emerald crabs, at least the seven I have, will not eat buble algae. Others might. The bubble algae itself, can be a problem if they start to spread and multilply. I have not yet been able to rid my tank of it completely. But yes, manually picking them out has been the best solution for me thus far. I currently have a coulple that I can see, but cannot get to as they are in a small crevice in a rock.
I just read the article at the link below. According to what this guy is saying, some of it ain't so bad. Everything else I read says it's bad.

http://netclub.athiel.com/algae/algae.html

I would like to have a crab in my tank. I like crabs. Just seems like everybody warns against having them for one reason or another. Do your emeralds give you any trouble?
Old 06/24/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Just like most other crabs, it is an opportunistic eater. If it runs out of it's primary food source, it will look for other sources of food.

As long as you supplement their diet once they mow their way through the algae or take them back, you shouldn't have too much issue.

This is of course assuming that it will actually touch the bubble algae.
Old 06/24/2007, 11:16 PM
RC Mod

You could try a porcelain crab. They're not a true crab, but they look about the same, and are safer.

Small amount of bubble algae aren't a problem.
Old 06/25/2007, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

You won't kill it by stopping light. I tried that in a frag tank kept it dark for a couple of weeks and at the end of it all no difference to the bubble algae.

There is more than one type of emerald crab. One type loves to eat BA, the other type is not into it.

Blue legged hermits eat it. I know this because I put 5 of them into my tank & over a few months all the BA disapeared, except in places like the overflow where the crabs couldn't get to. But I never actually saw them do it.
But today while cleaning behing a pump, I found a big clump of BA so decided to put the mystery of wether they eat it to rest. I held the cluster of BA in front of the blue legged hermit crab as I sometimes do nori, and he grabbed it & started chowing down on it. Kept going till it was all gone.
Bit of a messy eater though he did let little bits go and wash away in the current, so not sure if he spreads it as well. However I'm confident now that as long as there are some blue legged hermits in the tank BA will not be a problem.
Old 06/25/2007, 06:21 AM
Registered Member

i have an emerald bigger than a silver dollar i guess i got lucky he munches my bubble alge..

scott
Old 06/25/2007, 08:30 AM
old enough to know better

Re: Green Bubble Algae

Quote:
Originally posted by jdjeff58
First...what is the major problem with bubble algae? Is it just looks, or can this pose a real threat? What would that threat be? Am I getting bent out of shape for nothing?.
For the most part almost all algae issues are strictly cosmetic in our tanks ... however, some alga's are faster growing and cannot be readily controlled by the std clean up crews we stick in our tanks.

Depending on tank conditions bubble algae can grow rapidly and our std snails/hermit crabs don't seem to eat it. Further emerald crabs etc. are at best hit and miss.

Many aquarist keep bubble algae to a nominal level by using std algae control measures (nutrient control) combined with periodic manual removal.