Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/05/2006, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TOURKID
mine never showed signs of ick either. is a bacterial infection littering my main tank?
The most common bacterial infections can only exist if the fish has been weakened (due to transport, for instance) or if the water quality is substandard. There are exceptions, of course. However, I wouldn't worry about a resident population of fish killing bacteria persisting for long after the fish have either recovered or been removed.

If you don't think the fish has or had Ich or marine velvet, I wouldn't worry too much about waiting for the tank to be safe.
Old 04/05/2006, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

so after the copper is done (3 weeks) then its up to me? she looks fine.. fins look a little diff... still courous how it comes about. she gets stressed and the baceria is suddenly there? or is it always there then finds her?

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 04/05/2006, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TOURKID
so after the copper is done (3 weeks) then its up to me? she looks fine.. fins look a little diff... still courous how it comes about. she gets stressed and the baceria is suddenly there? or is it always there then finds her?
The most common cause of fin rot is a bacterial infection fostered by poor water quality. Wastes or toxins in the water irritate the skin, creating an opening, and may also feed the bacteria. Once the infection is established, the fish may then need help to throw it off, although often all they really need is pristine water quality.

If I recall our conversation correctly, in this case the fish arrived with an infection already in place.

The bacteria responsible for this are everywhere. Normally, however, they don't do any harm.
Old 04/05/2006, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

no, i think i caused it by poor water conditions. the fish was fine for about three weeks or more. my water started getting un stable. i noticed a white funk on her lip, and it was down hill from there. well, up hill now. but i understand better

Old 04/05/2006, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

I dont understand my situation really.. now that I'm treating with the 3 medications I am not seeing any more improvements... I feel that the fin rot is going to have to heal on its own once she gets back into the maintank.. But these white patches look more like a scab on the one side then an open wound. the one side healed up welll is mostly back to being blue again but the other side only slightly showing little signs of improvement.
Old 04/06/2006, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

It's been less than a week since you started treatment, right? Give it a few more days and hopefully you will see more improvement. Concentrate on water quality and keep the antibiotic treatment going (you're replacing the medication when you change water, right?).
Old 04/18/2006, 02:39 AM
Registered Member

any updates ?

Very useful info.

Tangs are great, but they don't have the mucus level "shield" as other fishs to fight off ich. Thats why they are known as ick magnet.
Old 04/18/2006, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

update on the clown... i put her back in the main tank yesterday after observation of two weeks and nothing looking bad. She dove in her anemone within 60 seconds, kept getting stung, kept taking it. within 2 minutes her entire mouth and chin were white and gross. I was really worried, wondering how i treated for mnouth fungus/fin rot and had her in QT all this time.. then Right away she looked AWFUL. Well, I guess she was just to darn excited to wait for her mucus to build up and she had little stings all over her.

I turned off the light 45 min. early so she would hopefully chill and hangout in the disk.. dident sem to sting her.

I woke up today, and all the white is gone. Funny.. the anemone has been looking ill/strange lately... boy does it look great today, the fish is SO happy to lol glad she made it. It took at least an extra hour EVERY day to keep her in QT and healthy. but it was worth it

Thanks agian sat I dident think I had what it was going to take to get her back in the main