Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Bite the Light?

here's my million dollar question for you newbies without a million bucks (or a mack daddy boyfriend, haha!)...

oh and btw, i did read the physics lecture by sanjay and to be honest, that's kewl and all but i just wanted someone to tell me like what to buy yo. i mean, i'm like a major undecided kinda gal you know? i slept through the edison lecture and tesla can keep sellin magic trick contraptions for all i care. so somebody tell me, did the dude at the local fish store lie to a pretty gurl like me or what? this is what i bought for 350$:

the coralife deluxe lunar series -> which i'm pretty sure are power compacts 2x65W actinic and 2x65W daylught, and 4x3/4W lunar LEDs.

everyone here has like metal halides and they're like a kagillionbillion bucks. so what should i do. the lights are like "wicked awesome dude" totally crooked lights yo but should i return them for like T5 or something like that or should i just give up?

like why would the dude bother sellin me these lights if i can't grow anything in them? or can i just grow like certain kinds of things, like only softcoral etc.? i'm like totally confused. can someone just straight up tell me, what can i reasonably have in my tanks with these lights without including a CHROMATICITY DIAGRAM????

even if it's not totally true but like in general you know?

xoxoxmpty

p.s. - if one of you reefer pros tell me the dude lied to me i'm gonna get some o my rollergirl friends to kick his *** and dump him in his sump! hahaha. dump the sump! dump the sump! sump the dump! lol.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

haha. bite the light, dump the sump!!!! i'm the rap queen o canada, yo!
Old 11/27/2007, 01:57 PM
clams are your friends.

Here's a link to an online retailer selling the same stuff:
http://www.aquatichouse.com/lights_files/lUNAR.asp

You probably didn't pay a whole lot more for the fixture, but you probably could get something much better for not much more money, like this T5 fixture:

http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchan...roduct_Count=3
Old 11/27/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
Here's a link to an online retailer selling the same stuff:
http://www.aquatichouse.com/lights_files/lUNAR.asp

You probably didn't pay a whole lot more for the fixture, but you probably could get something much better for not much more money, like this T5 fixture:

http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchan...roduct_Count=3
hey pugs, nice ta see ya again! i got a boston terrier, her name is joey! she still a pup.

thanks for the info, i have a 48" fixture. i'm thinking now that peeps her were like sayin that you could like add more after? i guess if i have the money later i can add like T5's along with these power compacts? but now i feel like i wasted my cash! should i clean them, try to return them and get T5's or should i just add T5's later? omg i'm like totally confused now...

xoxompty
Old 11/27/2007, 02:17 PM
Send money....

What you spend is dependent on what you're looking to get. MH lighting in a fixture compared to MH lighting retro kits installed in an existing canopy are going to have significant cost differences. My reflector (inside a canopy), dual 250w MH bulbs and ballasts, and VHO flourescent actinic lighting and ballast altogether were probably a little under $500 total, but gives me way more options of what kinds of corals I can keep. I'd return the fixture if they'll take it and work out some other choice of lighting if you really think you're going to keep more light loving corals.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

it really depends on what you want to keep - I currently have the exact same fixture as you have on my 75g and have great success..

i keep a green digi SPS.. granted its about an inch from the top

i have hammers, leathers, devils hand, blastos, rics, monti cap all under these lights. i do suppliment the lack of lighting with over feeding and heavy heavy skimming. But i get by.

I do plan to upgrade to 2 250w HQI's. But this gets me by. Think about what you want to keep and make a determination.
Old 11/27/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Re: Bite the Light?

Quote:
Originally posted by mpty
here's my million dollar question for you newbies without a million bucks (or a mack daddy boyfriend, haha!)...

oh and btw, i did read the physics lecture by sanjay and to be honest, that's kewl and all but i just wanted someone to tell me like what to buy yo. i mean, i'm like a major undecided kinda gal you know? i slept through the edison lecture and tesla can keep sellin magic trick contraptions for all i care. so somebody tell me, did the dude at the local fish store lie to a pretty gurl like me or what? this is what i bought for 350$:

the coralife deluxe lunar series -> which i'm pretty sure are power compacts 2x65W actinic and 2x65W daylught, and 4x3/4W lunar LEDs.

everyone here has like metal halides and they're like a kagillionbillion bucks. so what should i do. the lights are like "wicked awesome dude" totally crooked lights yo but should i return them for like T5 or something like that or should i just give up?

like why would the dude bother sellin me these lights if i can't grow anything in them? or can i just grow like certain kinds of things, like only softcoral etc.? i'm like totally confused. can someone just straight up tell me, what can i reasonably have in my tanks with these lights without including a CHROMATICITY DIAGRAM????

xoxoxmpty

p.s. - if one of you reefer pros tell me the dude lied to me i'm gonna get some o my rollergirl friends to kick his *** and dump him in his sump! hahaha. dump the sump! dump the sump! sump the dump! lol.
Lemme break it down like this yo, PC aren't a bad light yo but you cant have everything under them. T5s are a step up Yo but still cant keep everything under them. MH are like the top of the top and you can keep anything that requires light under them but yo they cost a ton.2x65W actinic and 2x65W daylight is a Nice light yo, just look for corals you like to match what you have until you can afford what you want. (or till ya find that big pimpin man) Peace out yo

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton

Last edited by Vinnie71975; 11/27/2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11/27/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Re: Bite the Light?

Quote:

xoxoxmpty

By the way that light should be fine for Softies, Most all Zoa's leathers, shrooms and some brain type corals and remember if your worried about it getting enough light put it higher up on the rocks closer to the top near the lights God luck girlie!

Old 11/27/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

You can keep a lot of softies and LPS with those lights. Since you are a novice it can be difficult to take in all the information at once. Especially lighting because there are toooo many mixed opinions. I say enjoy the lights, begin with easy corals, and in 6-8 months when it is time to replace your bulbs make your choice. By then you will have learned of all your options along with the specific types of corals you would want to keep.
Old 11/27/2007, 05:11 PM
Obsessed

theres always oddeysea lights too.
same price range. and instead upgrading to new lights, you can justupgrade your ballasts to icecaps and get awesome results.
Old 11/27/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Bite the Light?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie71975
Lemme break it down like this yo, PC aren't a bad light yo but you cant have everything under them. T5s are a step up Yo but still cant keep everything under them. MH are like the top of the top and you can keep anything that requires light under them but yo they cost a ton.2x65W actinic and 2x65W daylight is a Nice light yo, just look for corals you like to match what you have until you can afford what you want. (or till ya find that big pimpin man) Peace out yo
rawk rule! thank you berry much!

xoxompty
Old 11/27/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adunne
it really depends on what you want to keep - I currently have the exact same fixture as you have on my 75g and have great success..

i keep a green digi SPS.. granted its about an inch from the top

i have hammers, leathers, devils hand, blastos, rics, monti cap all under these lights. i do suppliment the lack of lighting with over feeding and heavy heavy skimming. But i get by.

I do plan to upgrade to 2 250w HQI's. But this gets me by. Think about what you want to keep and make a determination.
thanks addy!!!! that really made me feel alot better. i just wanted to know if the dude was like lying to me. ok, so i can totally have like a pretty nice aquarium with this light setup. my tank's 65G.

xoxompty
Old 11/28/2007, 02:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
thanks addy!!!! that really made me feel alot better. i just wanted to know if the dude was like lying to me. ok, so i can totally have like a pretty nice aquarium with this light setup. my tank's 65G.

xoxompty
Totally its a very nice light set up!