Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2006, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mthedude
Does anyone know what size PVC pipe would be needed to do the gate valve mod on a NW150? I know the riser pipe is metric so you have to find a standard PCV slip coupling and use cement to glue it, but what size pvc slip is needed?

Here's a link to some good priced gate valves;

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=16125
I used 1.5" PVCs for my NW150 and ordered everything from savko.com. The gate valve cost $15.90. The good thing is, the 1.5" PVC pipe that I bought from them has a thick wall and its ID is almost same as the OD of the metric riser pipe. So, I just glued a small piece of the 1.5" pipe into one end of the 1.5" coupler to reduce its ID, and then slipped it onto the metric riser pipe. Here are the pictures:

Old 11/09/2006, 11:07 AM
Threadkiller

nice Lake - that's what I was looking for.

jp
Old 11/09/2006, 06:19 PM
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally posted by 96p993
What happens if you have a power outage??
The rest of the sump can handle about 10-more gallons (you can see the level on the left), and only about 1-3 gallons flow back down from the tank when the power goes out - so I'm safe

Last edited by MadTownMax; 11/09/2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11/09/2006, 07:21 PM
Space Cowboy

BTW - that skimmate is from 1-day, last night (last picture) to tonight when I took the picture above
Old 11/09/2006, 07:26 PM
Needing a job

I think i've found my new skimmer (RPS 2000).

For those that have this unit, is the 15" length generous or is it exactly 15"? It looks like i'll have to reconfigure my sump if so.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 11/09/2006, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

I ordered a Nw 150, 2 weeks ago from marinesolutions and have still not received anything from them in regards to the order. While this is fine with me because I'm assuming they're backordered and will be giving them an email, i do have a few questions. For the Gate Valve mod, you guys are saying ill need a 1.5 inch gate valve correct? What else will i need to make the conversion between metric and standard? Okay so only one question, but i gaurentee I'll have more when I get the thing.

Thanks,
Cory
Old 11/09/2006, 07:45 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Just under a quart since Saturday on my 54g (light bioload).

DSCN1731

This is consistant production for the las few months.

Although the skim is good, I am hesitant these days to reccomend this skimmer to others. Here is a picture of my CSS125 in sump next to my other nw200 that has been waiting for replacement parts for almost 2 months now with no news from vendors.

DSCN1730

Good thing I have plenty of room in my skimmer compartment for two skimmers or I would be mega peed.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 11/09/2006, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Dandy, what part do you need, and do you mean mega "po'ed"?
I'll find my soul as I go home
Old 11/09/2006, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

I have a NW 200 in sump sitting on the bottom in about 15" of water. In the instuctions it dosent give the recommended water depth for this skimmer. Does anyone have any idea depth or what depth is working best for them? Thanks.......
Old 11/09/2006, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

tikalize 10" seems to work the best for most people.

Carl
Old 11/09/2006, 10:01 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally posted by reefkeeper1
Dandy, what part do you need, and do you mean mega "po'ed"?
I need a collection cup and a new elbow with union nut for the pump. I meant "pea oh'd" .

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 11/09/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Carl. I guess i have to build a 5" stand on the bottom of the sump.............
Old 11/09/2006, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

I had to build a stand also. I used eggcrate and pvc pipe for the legs.

Carl
Old 11/09/2006, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

thats a good idea. I have alot of pvc laying around. I will go to Home Depot tomorrow to get a sheet of Eggcrate. Will it support the weight of the skimmer with pvc on just the 4 corners?
Old 11/09/2006, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

i just wanted to add that I have been running my nw200 in the sump to my 125 that has been up for about a month (red house) and now that my fish load and feedings are slowly increasing, this skimmer is doing a great job. My tank still has a low bioload but pulling out some nasty stuff. I am running it pretty "dry" and getting some nice dark skimmate emptying a little more tha once a week.
Old 11/09/2006, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

I have been running my NW200 in a 90 gal sump for a 80 gal tank for a 2 weeks without any bioload other than a cleanup crew & have been pulling out some stinky skimate. The cup filled almost full the first week. I can imagine when i actually add fish & corals LOL.............. This is a very good skimmer IMO
Old 11/10/2006, 02:02 AM
Moved On

Have a question before I purchase a new skimmer for my 150g:

I have run into a problem with the space in my sump being too short ~2" to fit the RC NW200. Could you confirm if the footprint is 9 inches X 21 inches? The only solution I see is to position the pump on the skimmer like it is on the RC NW150. Is this doable? Will I gain any space on the length? What is your opinion?

No room for larger sump or to have the skimmer external.

Looking at Marine Solutions page I noticed both the RC NW200 and NW200 use Octopus Turbine 3000 pump, but one draws 90 watts and the other only 65 watts. Which is correct power usage?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11/10/2006, 07:13 AM
Threadkiller

I went to adjust the standpipe yesterday for the first time ever and the rubber ring in between the outlet pipe and the black slinding pipe snapped, which keeps friction on the black riser pipe so now it is useless. A bunch of wraps of teflon tape seem to have it in place, but I was actually getting foamey goodness before it broke.

Does anybody know what\where I would get a replacement for that ring?

thanks,
jp
Old 11/10/2006, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Home Depot should have many O-rings in different sizes, one of which may fit the riser pipe. Or, you can do the gate mod sooner. That will eliminate the need for the O-ring.
Old 11/10/2006, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coreno16
I ordered a Nw 150, 2 weeks ago from marinesolutions and have still not received anything from them in regards to the order. While this is fine with me because I'm assuming they're backordered and will be giving them an email, i do have a few questions. For the Gate Valve mod, you guys are saying ill need a 1.5 inch gate valve correct? What else will i need to make the conversion between metric and standard? Okay so only one question, but i gaurentee I'll have more when I get the thing.

Thanks,
Cory
Didn't get my 150 from marinesolutions until more than 3 weeks later. Backordered. I was promised with a 10% discount to keep my order with them, but it's been 3 weeks now since I got my skimmer and I still haven't seen a penny from them. What can I say? It's a good skimmer, but the customer service and product support really suck. I'm happy with my skimmer so far, but I don't think I'll recommend it to friends...

Regarding your question, you should be able to find a picture of the mod on MS's website. There have been many different methods being mentioned on RC to make the metric, which is by the way the "standard", to english: For example, union, rubber fitting, and the one I said about 10 posts earlier. You need to do a little bit homework to see what you want.
Old 11/10/2006, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Ordered my NW150 from MS last week and no response to my emails asking if/when it had been shipped, 4 emails and no response. I might have to threaten paypal refund if they don't respond to me pretty soon.
Old 11/10/2006, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ordered my NW150 from MS last week and no response to my emails asking if/when it had been shipped, 4 emails and no response. I might have to threaten paypal refund if they don't respond to me pretty soon.
I asked about my NW200 on backorder on the 6th and received a reply on the same day saying Marine Solutions' stocking order would ship to them late this week. Hopefully, NW150s are also a part of that order. I think they may have a lot of orders on backorder at the moment, and they may be having problems keeping up on replying to emails. I've found that when emails aren't receiving a response in personal or business contact, you might get a better response via fax or phone. No one answered their phone when I called two weeks ago when I asked to switch my order from a NW150 to a NW200, but I did leave a message. I also faxed a note requesting the change.

The lack of response is disconcerting. Just a little reply giving the status of an order even if the order's going to be delayed for awhile helps a lot with customer service relations.
I'll find my soul as I go home
Old 11/10/2006, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Hey Purple Haze,

Where are you ordering the RPS-2000 from. That is the one I want, but can't find a site for it.

Thanks
Old 11/10/2006, 03:30 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Lake75
Didn't get my 150 from marinesolutions until more than 3 weeks later. Backordered. I was promised with a 10% discount to keep my order with them, but it's been 3 weeks now since I got my skimmer and I still haven't seen a penny from them. What can I say? It's a good skimmer, but the customer service and product support really suck. I'm happy with my skimmer so far, but I don't think I'll recommend it to friends...

Regarding your question, you should be able to find a picture of the mod on MS's website. There have been many different methods being mentioned on RC to make the metric, which is by the way the "standard", to english: For example, union, rubber fitting, and the one I said about 10 posts earlier. You need to do a little bit homework to see what you want.
Maybe you guys should stop ordering from Marine Solutions. They seem to be the reason for most of these problems, not te product.

I had no problems with customaquatics, and plenty of people have had a great time with SWC.
Old 11/10/2006, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

I placed the order before all the probs were reported. I got a response today, but not a very detailed one.