Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/25/2007, 10:48 PM
Premium Member

Thanks. I thought it was an exquisitus, but had never seen one as brightly marked as this one before.
Old 02/26/2007, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Curtis1158

Scottkelly911: The pencil wrasse is really different, good looking fish. Are they reef safe? Aggresive? Don't know much about then. Curious though. Can you fill me in?
I agree, it's definitely a very different and attractive fish, a very nice addition. I've only had it for just over a day, but here's some info based on what I've read, been told and my very short experience thus far. It is completely reef safe and very similar to fairy wrasses in husbandry, however may go after very small ornamental shrimp such as sexy shrimp or pom pom crabs (so I'm told). They're supposedly very difficult to get to eat and often require live food, then you can slowly try to ween them onto frozen. Mine hasn't even looked twice at my peppermint shrimp and for a breif time was even hanging out under the same rock with it. They're very docile and my exquisite wrasse has been flashing at it and occassionally chasing it, but not to the point of too much stress (so far), he hasn't tried to jump, but they are jumpers just like Fairy and Flashers, infact when I was acclimating him, he was jumping all over the tupperware, luckily I had a lid on it. I got lucky and mine is already eating thawed out mysis and Spirolina loaded brine. They don't get very large, only to about 4-5 inches and do best with a sandbed to burrow into and lots of rockwork. Since I don't have a sandbed, he spent the night in the rocks. Oh and one last thing, they pick at the rocks looking for pods. If you have any other questions just ask. So far, I've been really happy with him and just hope that his color stays as brilliant as it is right now.

50 Gallon Barebottom and LR, asstd Zoo's, LPS etc. Fish: Fairies and Flashers, black Saddleback clown pair, true perk, pink bar goby, 5 blue/Green Chromis
Old 02/26/2007, 03:46 AM
Premium Member

scott - pencil wrasses are difficult to keep alive. The hawaiian ones are the most readily available and do the best in captivity and even they are a PITA to get to eat and stay alive.

without a sand bed, i highly doubt he will live. They will try to bury at night and in the process bust up their lips from pressing against the bottom trying to bury. I highly suggest adding some sand or maybe a tupperware of sand in the back corner. He will find it in no time and will bury every night in the sand.

they are 100% reefsafe and wont eat ornamental shrimp. Ive never had a pencil even look at my feeder shrimp (and they are tiny)

good luck with him, and keep us updated
Old 02/26/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Zemuron, thanks for the info. I think I'll do what you suggested and put a small tuppeware container with sand in it in a hidden spot for him. I've heard this is an extremely difficult fish to keep mostly because of it's eating patterns and when this one was eating at the LFS, I decided he might actually have a chance so I picked him up. I'll definitely keep you guys updated. Also, thanks for letting me know that he wont bother even small ornamental shrimp, I've read mixed comments about that and have a feeling that may differ between the 8 different types of Pencil wrasses, but judging by the fact as he hasn't even look cross eyed at my peppermint, I'm gonna side with you on that, thankfully! Again, thanks for the great suggestion, it's the perfect compromise of me being able to keep my barebottom tank and keeping my Pencil wrasse happy. Just out of curiuosity, how long have you kept them in the past?

On a side note, how come this thread isn't sticky'd anymore? This is such an informative and great thread, I feel it definitely deserves to be permanently at the top.

50 Gallon Barebottom and LR, asstd Zoo's, LPS etc. Fish: Fairies and Flashers, black Saddleback clown pair, true perk, pink bar goby, 5 blue/Green Chromis
Old 02/26/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Nice fish Scott...good luck with it, sure hope it makes it.
Well out of the six wrasses I bought last week for cheap...3 have died. Bummed out as I lost both the female Solar's. They didn't look that good at the LFS but I took a chance. I've got the rest on Maracyn 2 and they're looking like they may be fine. Thats the first sick wrasse I've had.
On a good note...I added my McCoskers to the main tank with the existing 6 wrasses. He stayed in the specimen tank for a couple days and everything looked good. He is now out and about and everything is still very copasetic.
cheers
Old 02/26/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Lynn, I'm gonna do everything I can to make it work, the good thing is I started out with a healthy fish so let's hope it stays that way. I'm sorry to hear about your three losses, Such a shame to lose 2 solars, they're such nice fish. Good luck on your new McCoskers. Tonight I'm hoping to add one of the last two fish that I want to add to my tank, then I'm done until I upgrade to a larger system. If I get the fish (I don't want to jinx it by saying what it is) then I'll post some pix of it either later tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Old 02/26/2007, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

here is a pic of my labout's fairy..did not come out much the first two days but is very active now..have not caught a pic of him displaying yet but when he does to the scott's his colors are really nice
Old 02/26/2007, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

scott, i have not kept them long term as i just hold them for a week or less then ship them out. however, i know one of the LFS i ship to has kept a pair now for almost a year, and sold another pair to a hobbiest who has kept them for i think 6 months now. They are probably the most passive fish in the hobby. They wont fight with anything, or even each other (2-3 males in a tank and they dont bicker).

wrasseguy - your getting quite the collection!
Old 02/26/2007, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

yes it is getting very nice..now i am going to just sit back and enjoy
Old 02/26/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

This might be a stupid question. I've been trying to share some recent pics of my lineatus, labouti, and rhomboid. How can i get my pictures to be accpted? I've tried cut and paste and uploading it dosen't work. Uploading says the file is to big. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Old 02/26/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

What you have to do it resize your photo's prior to posting them on the gallery here. Do you have photoshop?If not IrfanView is one that I know of where you can resize your photos. They can't be over 50k to post on here.
Old 02/26/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

lynn53: Thanks for the advice. The pictures are now in my photo gallery. Having porblems copying and posting them in thread, but at least they can be viewed.
Old 02/26/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Oh okay, well if they are there...just left click on the bottom url of that page and the right click to copy. Then paste it in on the reply box (the one here that you reply in) add this code [IMG]in front of the paste address and then put [/IMG] after it and your picture should show.
Old 02/26/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

weird..the code is the [ and then the letters IMG and then the bracket again (in front of pasted url) after the paste it's a bracket[ then a back slash and then the same letters capitilized and then the ]
Old 02/26/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

lynn53: thanks again, but for some reason it's showing the right code before and after the url but no pictures are following. Do the pictures show in the reply before you post or after? Until then the pics are in my gallery. Sorry, new to this forum stuff.
Old 02/26/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Neptune, beautiful fish, here is what you do and I'll use your fish so you can see what to do, hopefully I explain it well.
I'm going to put spaces between the brackets and the img tags so they don't appear as a picture. When you try, do the same thing, but take out the blank spaces
[ img]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/148535Lineatus_Wrasse__3_.jpg [ /img]

For everyone else, here's a pic of Neptune's BEAUTIFUL lineatus

Old 02/27/2007, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

I haven't gotten any pix of him yet, but I added one more fish tonight and whoa, what a fish. I'm gonna be honest, I've never been a fan of this fish because most of the ones I've seen have their colors faded. But the one I purchased was a Supermale with insane coloration. My newest fish? A Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse. They had two of them at the LFS, both had nice coloration but the bigger one had the better of the two. I didn't realize how big he was, shoulda got the smaller one, but oh well too late now. But I've definitely changed my tune about the Pink Margin, it's a much better looking fish in person. Now only one more fish, then I'm done, and that one will be the fish that bears my name...an Australian SCOTT'S Fairy Wrasse. Whew, luckily I just got my sump, now I gotta plumb it into my system.

Old 02/27/2007, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

lynn53: Thanks for the post. I've been doing the exact same thing as you are without the spaces and no picture. My question is do they show after you submit your reply? So i'm going to give it a try. Sorry if they don't show.

Here goes nothing.
Old 02/27/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

You did it! and Wow they look gorgeous! what a nice collection you have.
How is your little bluespotted jawfish doing? They have to be the cutest fish in the whole world! Mine has doubled his size this last month and has me totally trained to feed him on demand! lol
Old 02/27/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Scottkelly,
Please post a picture of your Scott's Fairy wrasse when you get him. I love these fish and I am looking to get one in the spring. Anyone else, I would love to see your Scott's Fairy wrasse and hear updates. Thanks.
Old 02/27/2007, 05:51 PM
yes it's my aquarium

ID needed on this one
Old 02/27/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

lynn53: Mr. bluespot is doing well and is very long maybe 4 1/2". Every morning is an adventure because he's always in a different hole. He and the yellow head jaw fish haven't made up their mind on a permanent home.
Old 02/27/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Gary that looks like a juvenile C. Roseafascia but I'm thinking Dr. Tanaka can verify it.
Old 02/27/2007, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Gary,

It seems to me a young male of C. lubbocki.
Old 02/27/2007, 09:35 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1058364