Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

View Poll Results: What hard to find angel do you have
Bandit Angel 3 2.54%
Golden Pygmy Angel 3 2.54%
Colins Angel 6 5.08%
Hotumatuas Angel 0 0%
Interuptus Angel 9 7.63%
Joculator Angel 2 1.69%
Resplendent Angel 8 6.78%
Venustus Angel 3 2.54%
Blueline Angel 3 2.54%
Chrysurus Angel 5 4.24%
Conspicillatus Angel 9 7.63%
Multicolor Angel 7 5.93%
Peppermint Angel 49 41.53%
Kingi Angel 11 9.32%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04/24/2006, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Armitagei actually show up here in the U.S. a few times a year.

I believe there are a few personatus in Japan. I know for a fact that there's a pair in Hawaii. I think the Waikiki Aquarium has a pair also.
Old 04/24/2006, 12:28 AM
Living by His Grace alone

By far,

the leader is the Peppermint angel. I've been checking that one angel out for months now. And once Nexdog gets rich and sends me one, I'll probably be the only one on the east coast with one. Lol, sorry, but I've been buggying him about that fish for months, thought he might want to get me off his back about it and just send me one, hint, lol

But no really, how could you say no to these:

we all would be drooling and fighting over them

RevClyburn
comes wisdom through the awful grace of God" Robert F. Kennedy
Old 04/24/2006, 04:53 AM
Premium Member

I saw the color morph of Centropyge bispinosa (10cm) from Samoa, and it cost some 600000 Yen in Tokyo some 20 years ago. After someone's purchase it turned a normal coloration in 4-5 weeks. Not all of color variants will turn norm one, however.

Centropyge aurantia (Golden Angel), 5cm from Indonesia. Some 20 years ago it was a rarely sold fish that commanded a very high price but now it is fairly popular, but most will die suddenly without any sign.

Old 04/24/2006, 05:02 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by revclyburn
By far,

the leader is the Peppermint angel. I've been checking that one angel out for months now. And once Nexdog gets rich and sends me one, I'll probably be the only one on the east coast with one. Lol, sorry, but I've been buggying him about that fish for months, thought he might want to get me off his back about it and just send me one, hint, lol

But no really, how could you say no to these:

we all would be drooling and fighting over them

RevClyburn
Heh, I should grab a pair and try and breed them.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 04/24/2006, 12:04 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

I would say Peppermints are the rarest. The last time I checked there were only a handful in captivity and they were mainly in Japanese aquariums.
They are rarely collected and are very difficult to maintain as they tend to not eat prepared foods very well.
I have pretty much seen every angel on the list in a LFS at one point or another but the Peppermint.
Old 04/24/2006, 02:17 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by Maximus
Great thread guys! What I would do to have a debelius. Would anyone know where to get one? Copps?
The local guy that gets Mauritius shipments including gem tangs and chrysogaster clowns has had debelius available to him before, but for astronimical prices so he passed as their demand is little... unfortunately most peeple who could appreciate them don't have the cash... and I fit into that category!

I'm sure Hiroyuki can comment on this in this thread, as many of the available images of this species are from him!

Quote:
Originally posted by BGreene
Rare= Centropyge abei Allen, Young & Colin 2006
Brian great to see you here! What a soup of info we have here... Can you elaborate on this guy? The only thing I know is that it was deep and found in Sulawesi, Indo...

Also, have you ever seen any flame/potter hybrids or the blue phase of potter's that Hiroyuki photographed in Japan? I remember getting all excited when I saw a half-black/lemonpeel hybrid (common in the trade) while diving in Micronesia... LD I actually saw a blue potter's available on a wholesaler's list a few years ago for $600... the LFS owner asked me about it, saying "what the **** is a blue potter's?" Also, beautiful score on the small goldenback trigger... Here's one of the blue potter's images from Hiroyuki Tanaka... woo hoo!

Quote:
Originally posted by H.Tanaka
It is just a 3cm long Centropyge boyei. The first specimen I saw (at a retailer in Tokyo) in 1993. Until recently it was called Paracentropyge boylei, but now it is included in Centropyge again, and venusta and multifasciata, too.

Does that mean that Paracentropyge is officially a subgenus? This is my "Poor man's peppermint" Centropyge multifasciatus... I saw the pair that Frank Baensch of RCT Hawaii had at his facility that he successfully bred before he offered them for sale... I immediately thought it was practice and joked about it with him... while he's got lots of secrets it's not a secret he'd love to breed the peppermints eventually... and there's no reason why it won't eventually be done...

Quote:
Originally posted by bandedangel
Let me correct myself,... I was told by a reliable sorce that somebody was blowing smoke as far as kingi's & africanus beeing available in this country.
This did indeed turn out to be a scam and some people got taken for alot of money... actually whether or not it was a scam I guess is up in the air... but people put out thousands and no fish were produced...

Quote:
Originally posted by H.Tanaka
"Apolemichthys armitagei" is a hybrid of A. trimaculatus (Flagfin) x xanthurus (Indian Smoke), and then it comes mainly from around Maldives, but they are duskier than trimaculatus and some parts are black. They are available on rare occasion in Japan but too expensive for most aquarists.

Genicanthus personatus is a hard to keep for a long period, because they do not accept any food. Some juveniles were raised at Waikiki Aquarium several years ago; tiny juveniles of the genus can be kept successfully, but large adults are much difficult.
One of these armitageis is available at www.phishybusiness.com for $900... the Marine Center had one I believe about year ago for $1500...

A. trimaculatus also hybridizes with our buddy A. kingi... that's got to be up there with rare... ever seen one Hiroyuki?

Here's a shot of the juvenile personatus that was raised by the Waikiki Aquarium... I spoke to Charles Delbeek about this and I believe he said it carpet surfed... seriously... I think they've lost their adults too, but I don't remember from my last visit there... I did see the adults they had years ago and they had lost a considerable amount of color... I've since seen another wild captive pair that was just stunning though!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.

Last edited by copps; 04/24/2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04/24/2006, 02:32 PM
angelfish nut!

How about Saint Paul's Rocks Queen angels! Can anyone comment on where these have been available? This is just nuts... I love these things...
Why do I think of Smurfs when I see this guy?

All white morph...

Koi variety... I'm no geneticist but this has to be the same reason we see this color in inbred koi...

blue morphs...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 04/24/2006, 03:32 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Does anyone know of any place where I could get a conspiculatus angel besides The Marine Center?
I don't think any of the LFS in my area would ever get one in even if I special ordered.
Old 04/24/2006, 03:42 PM
angelfish nut!

Tom at Marineaquatics.net gets them, although recently they've been tough to come by... he's also in Atlanta not too far from you...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 04/24/2006, 03:52 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

I acctually called Tom and he said that he is not able to get them anymore and does not know when he will find another source. He was acctually the first person I called.
There is a place up in Chicago called Old Town Aquarium that has one and are willing to ship but I was unable to find any reference to them on this website. They also use DHL for shipping which worried me.
Old 04/24/2006, 03:58 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by triggerfish1976

There is a place up in Chicago called Old Town Aquarium that has one and are willing to ship but I was unable to find any reference to them on this website. They also use DHL for shipping which worried me.
Did you see that they were referenced earlier in this thread? Do they guarentee live arrival? If it's that 3" one that is shaaaweet!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 04/24/2006, 04:05 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

I hadn't read the entire thread so do I feel dumb. I ran a search on them and no one has had any experience mail ordering from them.
They no longer have the 3" but they do have a 5" I am thinking about buying.
They stated they have a 7 day health guarantee but who knows if they really stick by it given the price of the fish and it being mail order.
Old 04/24/2006, 04:22 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
I would say Peppermints are the rarest. The last time I checked there were only a handful in captivity and they were mainly in Japanese aquariums.
They are rarely collected and are very difficult to maintain as they tend to not eat prepared foods very well.
I have pretty much seen every angel on the list in a LFS at one point or another but the Peppermint.
Find an Angel thats similar ranges in the wild as a peppermint, that is ugly, and I bet its the rarest out there.
Old 04/24/2006, 05:04 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley

Find an Angel thats similar ranges in the wild as a peppermint, that is ugly, and I bet its the rarest out there.
How about C. narcosis... the infamous "I forgot I collected it!" deepwater species!

Also, anyone ever see what I call the "Atlantic clarion"... a queen angel /rock beauty hybrid... it's amazing how rare this fish is despite how common it's parents are...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 04/24/2006, 05:33 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Copps,

I have to agree on the Narcosis. I had forgotten about that one.
Old 04/24/2006, 05:49 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Copps,

I have to agree on the Narcosis. I had forgotten about that one.
Did you intend that pun? The story behind it's naming is that Pyle had nitrogen narcosis so bad he forgot he had collected them... I believe these were collected deeper than boylei, but don't have my references with me...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 04/24/2006, 05:55 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Yeah I did. I had accutally heard the same history on the name.
Old 04/24/2006, 06:03 PM
angelfish nut!

Ah okay... I forgot who I heard the story from... ... ... Okay it's a dead horse...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 04/24/2006, 10:43 PM
Living by His Grace alone

All the angels here are absolutely gorgeous. I have never seen the what or blue morph ones, stunning to say the least. And the multi spine one is one of my choices since I can't get the Peppermint angels, YET! Is there anyone out there that is actively trying to captive bred any of there angels?

And Nexdog, if you ever do that, you can definitely put my on the list as a buyer. Do you know any one there that has them, and has had any success with just keeping them?

Edwin
comes wisdom through the awful grace of God" Robert F. Kennedy
Old 04/24/2006, 11:04 PM
Fiddles With Reef

If anyone knows, it would be Tanaka-san.

Old 04/24/2006, 11:19 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Quote:
Also, anyone ever see what I call the "Atlantic clarion"... a queen angel /rock beauty hybrid... it's amazing how rare this fish is despite how common it's parents are...
Whoa! Thought I had seen most hybrids, that is a very cool fish.
Old 04/25/2006, 01:43 AM
Premium Member

Hi All,
Here is a photo of Centropyge debelius, 8cm at a retailer in Kyoto. I have four shots but it is the best. The species commands a very high price of around US$600, and scarcely imported to Japan. It was doing well in a display tank there. It is almost restricted to Mauritius and Aldabra.

An additional shot of Centropyge potteri, 10cm at the same shop. I heard that two specimens were caught at the depth of more than 60 meters at off Kona Coast, and one of them was shipped to the US. This specimen also cots US$600.

The third shot shows a juvenile, 3cm long Apolemichthys griffisi. Now often imported but still rare in market.

Old 04/25/2006, 02:29 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Tanaka-san, does that shop in Kyoto have a website?

Old 04/25/2006, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
Here's a shot of the juvenile personatus that was raised by the Waikiki Aquarium... I spoke to Charles Delbeek about this and I believe he said it carpet surfed... seriously... I think they've lost their adults too, but I don't remember from my last visit there... I did see the adults they had years ago and they had lost a considerable amount of color... I've since seen another wild captive pair that was just stunning though!
Waikiki Aquarium still has a pair of personatus. I'm not sure if they're the same ones as before, though - a while ago the male was looking somewhat unhealthy and the exhibit was closed for a few weeks. Now the display is back and the fish look slightly different (but maybe I just have bad memory).

Masked angels are typically caught in the Northwestern Hawaiian islands, where they are commonly found in shallow water but can't be legally collected (unless you work for Waikiki Aquarium, obviously). However, they are also found in the main Hawaiian islands in deep water and very rarely pop up in the shallows - surprisingly the type specimen was collected near downtown Honolulu in only 80'! The logistics of collecting personatus are similar to other deepwater fish such as boylei so it's not unreasonable to expect one to turn up once in a while.

I've seen personatus in submersible videos at 300' off Oahu - I know where they are but don't have the skill to go diving for them. One of these days...
Old 04/25/2006, 04:00 AM
Premium Member

Hello NexDog,
No. I am so sorry that they have no web. Thename of the shop is "Earth". They are holding and selling so many species of fish and corals. Perhaps you may find the name in older issues of Marine Aquarist magazine, publishing four issues a year.

RGBMat,
I saw two females and a male there some 15 years ago, but I hear that they do not do well.