Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 03/25/2006, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

Who here collect's there own fish

I have been a collector of alantic fish for the last 5 years. I have caught many fish over the years and every year i still get that i catch something different that i never thought in a million year i would ever catch here. I have even caught school's of threadfin popano. Dose anyone else here collect fish from there local alantic waters? Here is a list of the most of the fish i have caught over the last 5 years.

SURGEONFISHES
• Doctorfish (Acanthurus chirurgus)
• Blue tang (Acanthurus coeruleus)
• Ocean surgeon (Acanthurus bahianus)
BIGEYES
• Short bigeye (Pristigenys alta)
• Bigeye (Priacanthus arenatus)
• Glasseye snapper (Priacanthus cruentatus)
SEA BASSES
• Snowy grouper (Epinephelus niveatus)
• Goliath grouper (Epinephelus itajara)
• Gag (Mycteroperca microlepis)
• Red grouper (Epinephelus morio)
SPADEFISHES
• Atlantic spadefish (Chaetodipterus faber)
PARROTFISHES
• Redfin parrotfish (Sparisoma rubripinne)
JACKS
• Permit (Trichanotus falcatus)
• Lookdown (Selene vomer)
BARRACUDAS
• Northern sennet (Sphyraena borealis)
BOARFISHES
• Deepbody boarfish (Antigonia capros)
FLYING GURNARDS
• Flying gurnard (Dactylopterus volitans)
SCORPIONFISHES
• Spotted scorpionfish (Scorpaena plumieri)
• Lionfish (Pterois volitans)
TRUMPETFISHES
• Trumpetfish (Aulostomus maculatus)
SQUIRRELFISHES
• Squirrelfish (Holocentrus adscensionis)
LIZARD FISHES
• Inshore lizardfish (Synodus foetens)
GOOSEFISHES
• Goosefish (Lophius americanus)
FROGFISHES
• Sargassumfish (Histrio histrio)
DOGFISH SHARKS
• Spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)
Old 03/25/2006, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

What does a person need in order to be able to collect fish from the wild?
Old 03/25/2006, 08:30 PM
Go fast, turn left

cyanide!

OMG! I was kidding! This stuff should have been outlawed years ago!
Old 03/25/2006, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

i think paul b collects his fish. he's the one that has the amazing 35-year old reef tank.
Old 03/25/2006, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

There is a guy on a different forum that lives in the Bahama's and collects his own fish. He has caught some cool Angels and such. There isn't anything in the Seattle waters that I would want in my tank
Old 03/25/2006, 09:39 PM
Hyper Vizsla Puppy

The Fish Finder, Got any pics of the fish you collect?

When I was in Florida on vacation I caught a french angle. Thats about it.

Bill
Old 03/25/2006, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michindi
What does a person need in order to be able to collect fish from the wild?
There are many different way's that you can collect fish. All the fish i collect are net collected eather from the man made reef's along the beach or diving about 1 mile off of RM beach.
Old 03/25/2006, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by B Pierce
The Fish Finder, Got any pics of the fish you collect?

When I was in Florida on vacation I caught a french angle. Thats about it.

Bill
Sure here are some pic's

In my display tank now i have two alantic blue tang's and a shortbig eye that i caught this past summer

Here are pic's of baby shortbig eye's and a snowy grouper i caught (the snaper was given to me for a trade for a shortbig eye)

One of my last catches of the season last year orange spotted filefish.

Here is the pic of the coda (that's what i was told it's called sometime's called fals remora) in the bottom of the pic is a rambow runner. Anyone have any idea what the middle fish is i never got a id of him.

What everyone get's Spotfin butterfly's

Here are some seahorses that were collected for a captive breeding program once they gave bith to the fry and were eating good after the birth they were retruned to where they were collected.

A pic of one batch of seahorse fry

Baby lookdown's

Threadfinn popano
Old 03/25/2006, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

The fish finder...You dont need a license or anything like that?
Old 03/25/2006, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

not in ny since these fish arent native to NY there are brought here by the gulf streem and will die once the water get's to cold. Ive been to FL collecting a few time's but it's such a pain to get the license there.
Old 03/25/2006, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
cyanide!
omg that made me laugh for some reason.

I want to collect my own fish!!!!
Old 03/25/2006, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

i caught 3 Baby (im talkin like 1") threadfin pompano (aka lookdown fish) ... they were swiiming by near a rock structure and i just scooped them up with a net..i was only like young though and i wasnt into fish.. they went right back into the ocean
-10g. Reef
Old 03/26/2006, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

I catch my own fish. So far, I am proud to say that all of the fish I've ever kept in my aquarium have been self-caught.

The list of species I've caught is probably too big to post and I'm sure I don't remember all of it. In Hawaii, we're lucky to have a lot to choose from!

Here's a pic of a flame angel I caught a few months ago:

Old 03/26/2006, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

I used to collect in Hawaii myself. In Hawaii you do need a collecting permit. You can either get a aquarium license which is free (and limits you to a few specimens of anything a day) or you can get a commercial license which costs 50 bucks and requires you file a catch report every month (but no limits)

I call BS on catching a flame angel off Oahu unless you work for coral fish hawaii. I dove out there for 5 years and never saw a single one. Coral Fish Hawaii has a honey hole or two for those but they also dive nitrox so I know they are pulling those flames from real deep around there. Just my two cents.
Old 03/26/2006, 02:37 AM
Registered Member

hmm, pretty interesting. were do u go to collect fish at hawaii? can u take the fish back home or it just stays in hawaii?
Old 03/26/2006, 03:35 AM
Tailspot Blenny

that's a really nice flame angel.

If i wanted a fish, could I ask one of you to catch one for me at your earliest convenience and then pay you for your troubles? Just wondering =)
Old 03/26/2006, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

hey if anyone in hawaii can catch DME i would love to see a pic of one you caught
Old 03/26/2006, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Fish Finder you are living the life. You have 60 fish tanks and you're catching your own fish. I am beyond impressed
Old 03/26/2006, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Hi Fishfinder - I had two questions.

You wrote, "One of my last catches of the season last year orange spotted filefish."

I've been collecting data on exotic fish releases (which this obviously would be). Can you tell me what time of year you caught this? Also, I just finished an article on filefish for AFM and was curious if this one that you caught lived any better for you in terms of eating than the typical ones imported from the Pacific (It looks pretty fat in the photo, and I don't imagine there was much Acropora coral for it to feed on off LI).

My other question was about the boarfish you collected - size, how deep, etc.

Thanks,

Jay Hemdal
Old 03/26/2006, 01:16 PM
30 year and over club

Fishfinder, very impressive. I am also in Long Island and have been diveing here since the early seventees but I never saw a lookdown or orange spotter filefish. Where did you find them? I have collected a lot of butterflies, seahorses, brown filefish, needlefish, pipefish etc but I would love to find lookdowns. Of course I saw a lot of them in the Caribbean. As a matter of fact on St. Lucia, they sell them for $2.00 a lb. to eat.
Paul
Old 03/26/2006, 01:19 PM
30 year and over club

One more thing, about a lisense, you do not need a lisense in NY to collect unless you are collecting game fish. I inquired at the Dept of Conservation when I had an urchin collecting business if I needed a permit and they had no Idea what an urchin was.
I asked them because that is where you get lobster and shellfish permits.
Old 03/26/2006, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

thank you Paul if you wish to come along with me when i go collecting on the beach reef's you can come along. On a good day you can catch about 30 lookdowns in about a hour. where i go is a known place but i go farther down where no one go's and i have ok from ppl that live there. Of corse i can't give out the location or else everyone on here from long island will go there. Where on LI are you?

This pic is from a midnight trip i went on we got them all in slack tide 40 min window. (note to all these fish are in qt in this pic they were all moved to a big 700G display tank once the qt was over in a week)
Old 03/26/2006, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JHemdal
Hi Fishfinder - I had two questions.

You wrote, "One of my last catches of the season last year orange spotted filefish."

I've been collecting data on exotic fish releases (which this obviously would be). Can you tell me what time of year you caught this? Also, I just finished an article on filefish for AFM and was curious if this one that you caught lived any better for you in terms of eating than the typical ones imported from the Pacific (It looks pretty fat in the photo, and I don't imagine there was much Acropora coral for it to feed on off LI).

My other question was about the boarfish you collected - size, how deep, etc.

Thanks,

Jay Hemdal
sure thats not a prob the orange spotted file fish was caught 9/4/05 at aprox 11:20pm off of the RM inlet. He did eat BS for a few week's but unfortionaly slowly started to get thiner i returned him to where i collected about 3-4 week's after i collected him.

As for the boarfish he was caught back when i was first geting into collecting so i didn't have great records but what i do know is that he was caught in 6/01 buy acident i tryed droping a net down into a 40 foot drop hole and left it there for 2 hours just wondering what i would catch and when we pulled it up he was in there he was aprox 4". Sorry i don't have such good records on him i only ever caught one and it was 5 year's ago. I cant wait my 6th season is starting soon and all new goodies will be around lol.

Anything else you wish to know feel free to ask
Old 03/26/2006, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sunfishh
Fish Finder you are living the life. You have 60 fish tanks and you're catching your own fish. I am beyond impressed
Some ppl say i am but it's very tought to find real collectors on the island to talk with and get togeather with to collect. I got to fix my tank sig it's been some time and ive cut my tank's in half (had to save money on the dame eletric bill here on the island)
Old 03/26/2006, 07:44 PM
30 year and over club

Fish finder. I know about the electric on LI.
I have my boat on the Sound in Port Washington but I live in New Hyde Park. I would love to go collecting. I did most of my collecting in Reynolds Channel. My wife has a cousin who lives by the Old Oak Beach Inn where seahorses are easy pickins.
Let me know.
Paul