Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 10/18/2005, 12:21 AM
Premium Member

Matt I'm with you. I have no dog in this hunt. I could care less if you kill a Moorish Idol or an Achilles Tang. They're not endangered so its not any worse than killing a tuna for a sandwich. So good luck. But Shawn you are an amusing chap. You come off as some kind of expert on SW husbandtry, break all the rules, do everything wrong, and the fish die. Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Good luck with the Tang. I hope he lives his wild live expectancy of 30 years. I hope he brings you much pleasure. But if you don;t want to get flamed don't start a thread like your some kind of expert and all the marine biologists and experianced reefers don't know what they're talking about. What they said would happen with your Idol is exactly what happened. It wasn't chance or Ich's fault. A healthy fish can blow off Ich. It was an expected result of an arrogant decision. And you didn't learn anything. Now you ask others to respect that decision and follow your lead. Good luck with that too.

Mike
Old 10/18/2005, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

Well I unlike you, MCary, could care if he kills fish for no reason. (Wasn't sure if you were saying I did.. or just stating your opinion after you said you agreed with me. ) And shwants I think the reason you could now say the same thing about RC and you could about SWF forums is because when it comes to anything like this people get mad. Heres an example:
Shawnts: Should I Get a Moorish Idol?
Person #1: No
Person #2: No
Person #3: No
Shawnts: Okay I'm going to get one anyways.

If you ask for opinion and professional people as well as people who have had experience with this fish respond saying no, and then you get one anyways, of course they're going to get mad!!

Anyways, as I said before with your idol, good luck and post some pics.
Old 10/18/2005, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

um....lmao :P
Old 10/18/2005, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Obviously this guy is no sw expert... and definately not an animal physiologist because he doesn't even know what a high metabolism is, and doesn't know basic concepts of herbivory... metabolism in an achilles does not burn faster because of his long digestive tract.
Old 10/18/2005, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

sorry, but a ACHILLES and a HIPPO in a 75g tank says it all.
inexperienced and arragant.
Old 10/18/2005, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

But he's got 6 years experience in saltwater
Old 10/18/2005, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

I have not been so sadly entertained in a long time.

My favorite part: no money for salt for water changes, but enough for a Idol and Achilles.
Old 10/18/2005, 03:11 PM
Guardian of Little People

Shawn, Reef Central isn't the forum for you. I am sorry, but you take wonderful advice from tremendous reefers and mock it and ignore it. There is no law that says you have to listen to advice, but neither do we have to allow such behaviour to be promoted. I am amazed at the restraint shown by many on this thread and your other thread. I hope someday you understand the folly of your choices. I only hope too many fish don't die because of your education.

BrianD

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 10/18/2005, 03:12 PM

Two threads merged. I encourage all readers to let this thread die the death it deserves and not respond further.

Old 10/18/2005, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Finally a staff member gets in here, thanks BrianD. This same problem happened on another forum with shawnts, but with the idol instead.
Old 10/18/2005, 09:27 PM
Aptasia tastes spicey!

it's fortunate you have two maxjets and not just one

thank goodness for dual maxijets
Old 10/19/2005, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

OK... so if I tell everyone the Achilles Just DIED... would this all help you?

if it will, go ahead and believe it....

anyway...

So today I added another Maxijet 1200 and a Rio 600...

that makes

a Mag 5 Pump, 3 Maxijet 1200 and a Rio 600 on a 75

which ='s

Mag 5 = 500gph
Maxijet= 295gph
maxijet 2 = 295gph
maxijet 3 = 295gph
Rio - 200gph

total of : 1585gph
= 21.13 turnover per hour

now heres the confusing part...
ok... I have two Maxis and the other two (maxi, rio) on a 20secon wavemaker... 2 and 2... so only 2 of the pumps are on at any give time... so

I suppose that makes it between:
13.26 to 14.53gph....?????

I plan on replacing the RIO with another Maxijet 1200

so then it will be either 21.13 or 14.53... depending on how you look at it...

I really cant get anymore going in their if I do the sand is going to start kicking up... it already is in spots... not too bad, but I can deal with it...

I am going to get some Ginger root tomorow.. of course, the Achilles has a few spots, and so does the Hippo, the CB doesnt though... so Im just going to KNOCK it out with ginger..

wish me luck

that is EVEN IF YOU DISSAGREE WITH WHAT IM DOING!

BTW: you can, and may, mock me all you wish, that really doesnt bother me, knowing that if it where FACE TO FACE, no one on this thread would have the guts to say HALF of what they are spouting on this thread in person!

HAVE A NICE DAY!
Old 10/19/2005, 08:35 PM

No one is mocking you. I have been on these boards long enough to see many Shawnt's come and go. Some "get it" after awhile and become responsible aquarists. Others continue to buy and kill fishes in some twisted desire to prove they are right and the world is wrong. I hope I am wrong in the path I believe you will take.

Oh, and I would be more than glad to tell you that to your face.

Old 10/19/2005, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

lol BrianD is stepping up the plate, lol boxing max BrianD vs Shawnts *ding ding ding*

haha jk. And man shawnts when I first read that "achilles died" I thought your achilles had died, and that would be quiet horrible. And another fish with ich? Why do all your fish get ich, there has to be something causing stress to the fish for them to get ich.. don't you think. And I remember a while back you asked "How do peoples fish just lose ich with them just continuing feeding them without treatment?" And I said, that I have had my fish lose ich with time as well, but I finally figured out the reason that you don't understand this. It is because your fish can't lose ich because they must be stressed for different reasons. I don't mean to insult you just trying to make you realize something.
Old 10/19/2005, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

And a side note: could you please take the "And my newest addition a Moorish Idol" out of your current tank section! You don't have it anymore and its been bugging me.
Old 10/19/2005, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyLionfish
And a side note: could you please take the "And my newest addition a Moorish Idol" out of your current tank section! You don't have it anymore and its been bugging me.
Old 10/20/2005, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

whats with the ginger?? thats no cure for ich
Old 10/20/2005, 08:54 AM
Go Sooners!

LOL! I would have the guts to tell anyone to their face what I think, and Im a woman!

*SIGH* Ok, add all the maxi jets you want but it still WONT make up the difference in tank size.

Kerry got in on this thread a few days ago, I just came across it now. Dude, your gonna do what you want, but PLEASE dont come looking for advice then go AGAINST the advice and buy it anyway.
Your on a roll with going against advice and its almost like you do it to spite everyone.

Ok...dont go buy a bigger tank!! So now with that said, you will go against my advice and buy the bigger tank. Problem solved
Old 10/20/2005, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

I would tell you more to your face. I just stayed away from it out of respect for the decent people on this thread.

How about an age? I am guessing 15-17 years old.
Old 10/20/2005, 09:49 AM
Go Sooners!

Ok...Shawn, you work for a LFS and you have 6 years in Saltwater and 8 years in Freshwater? If thats the case, why so many questions and what kind of advice are you handing out at that LFS??

If you work for a LFS, you should know better.
Old 10/20/2005, 09:52 AM

Shawn, you can have the "last word", and then I am closing this thread. I will also forewarn you that if I continue to see threads from you indicating that you are not seeking advice, but rather that you post because you enjoy the "in your face" type banter, I will close your threads as I see them.

Brian

Old 10/20/2005, 10:34 AM
Go Sooners!

A little off topic but....... Hey Brian, congrats on 10,000!
Old 10/20/2005, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Shawn, you would think that somewhere in the 6 years of saltwater experience you have that you would have learned at least one of the following:

1) Proper tank size for tangs
2) Proper flow for reef tanks and tangs
3) How to keep nitrates to zero
4) That ginger doesn't cure ick
5) What fish are hard to keep and why
6) Why proper quarantine techniques are necessary especially for hard to keep fish

... Did I miss anything, probably.

You have displayed almost every single newbie mistake in this thread and you are a lfs employee?

THAT IS PATHETIC!
Old 10/20/2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
Shawn, you can have the "last word", and then I am closing this thread.
Brian

Old 10/20/2005, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NeilPearson
Shawn, you would think that somewhere in the 6 years of saltwater experience you have
6 years? WOW.

Last year he didn't know what a Bristleworm was and now all of a sudden there's 6 years of experience. I must have been in a coma or a wormhole for quite a few years.

Shawn, disregarding the advice of experienced reefkeepers doesn't mean they are being rude. It means they are trying to prevent the unneccessary death of delicate animals and make your experience successful instead of always being so "eventful".