Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2005, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawnts106
lol, and to the person who said that my tank doesnt have enough flow... LMAO!... you are either one of two things:
1) ignorant of the flow that a single MaxiJet 1200 can put out

or

2)... just trying to start stuff...

and the answer is ??

If anyone on this thread says that a MAG 7 and 2... not 1 but 2 MAXIJET 1200's... in a 75 gallon tank isnt enough flow for a fish.... I PERSONALLY INVITE YOU TO MY HOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to view the turbid water movement...

PERSONALLY INVITE YOU!
PLEASE tell me this is a joke. Your tank has less than 13 times turnover. Why don't you come over and see my 280 with 70+ times turnover. I am considering an achilles but am worried that my tank may not be large enough and may not have even close to the amount of flow they come from. And here you are thinking your tank is optimal. Pathetic...
Old 10/11/2005, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

this has to be a troll.

at any rate, i'm going to bow out of this thread that is really a train wreck description of how not to conduct yourself in this hobby or this board.

dude, for someone who works as an lfs employee and expresses their interest as "marine science" i have to say that your attitude really surprises me.

at any rate, i'm done feeding the troll. enjoy your new fish while it lives. you totally missed the point here bud.
Old 10/11/2005, 08:10 AM
Go Sooners!

I think he has made up his mind on getting one despite all the info and comments everyone here has suggested. I think this thread has seen it's day. A mod needs to step in.
Old 10/11/2005, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Dear Shawn,

Having argued with you in the past about your Moorish Idol, your gonis, your alvis, and every other bad idea you’ve ever had, I DOUBT that you will take anything valuable away from these discussions.

I see you taking the same path you have taken on other forums, where you ask for advice, get said advice, and then lambaste the people that are trying to help you. You’re going to run out of forums to go to if you keep up the attitude and continue baiting people with your terrific notions and ideas.
Old 10/11/2005, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

we had a similar person like this on our local site. would ask oppions, get great advice from experienced people, laugh and say I'm doing it anyways,lost number of fish, pacted it in after a year or so.
saying that, I have an achilles in my 500g and there NOT easy at all to keep. a 75g tank! now thats insane to try either an achilles or idol. you just killed those fish. there is a guidline on tank sizes for certain fish for a reason its called,,,, EXPERIENCE OF THE MASSES!
Old 10/11/2005, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Sorry if you took it the wrong way, I just got a chuckle about different opinions of "high flow".

Just an FYI - turbid water would mean silt filled or cloudy, I don't think you meant to apply that term to your water conditions.
Old 10/11/2005, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

I agree that who ever said that was not enough water flow need to REALLY rethink things... HAHA
Old 10/11/2005, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

I too am done feeding the troll. I'm ashamed of myself for stooping to his level in the first place. Bye now.
Old 10/11/2005, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawnts106
LOOK PEOPLE, THERE IS NO WAY IN EARTH THAT WE CAN DUPLICATE THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT THAT GOD MADE ON THIS PLANET FOR THOSE FISH IN A HOME AQUARIUM!... its NOT POSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
so stop trying, do the best you can, and try!
Not exactly, but we can create almost ideal paramaters for our fish. It appears the majority on this forum belief you do not have any where near ideal paramaters for this fish. Also you said "stop trying and try" what the heck. lol
Old 10/11/2005, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

And JennKerry did you not see like the 4th post on this thread of mine? lol "Just so you know hes going to get one anyways"

I warned you!!!!!! jeez!!
Old 10/12/2005, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

hehe, lol! I love causeing such a stir!...

OK, well the Achilles is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!... Ive never saw one that had BLUE on him... georgous fish!

anyway....

Quote:
And here you are thinking your tank is optimal.
I never stated whatsoever at ALLLL that my tank was optimal... I stated that I could get buy!

We will see how he does.... and of course, Ill keep everyyyyyone posted!

and also, what do you guys think about Clown Tangs? IM NOT GETTING ONE OF THOSE!

but they are JUST the exact same as Achilles, just less ICH prone, but still prone.... they need REALLY TURBID water and ... (turbid meaning fast moving/very current filled)... highly dissolved O2 levels.... thats why they only live like 10years in an aquarium... in Nature they live to be over 30!....

so I suppose we shouldnt keep Clown Tangs either!

and Powder Blues are soooooo prone to ich that nearly all caught die of ich because their immune systems get SHOT from the stress....

I suppose we shouldnt get Powder Blue Tangs either!

and Naso's they get too big for MOST aquariums.... so confineing one in an aquarium is just not sain... so we shouldnt keep those either

and Yellow Tangs... they are sooo teritorial... they kill most ANY OTHER fish you introduce to the tank AFTER it... so I suppose we shouldnt buy yellow tangs either since they are so teritorial

and what about Unicorn Tangs, they get MASIVE... because of their size, we shouldnt confine them to the home aquarium either!

and what about Sohals... they are the, IMO, most ACTIVE of all the tangs.... they need HUGEEEEEEEEEEE tanks with LOTS A LOT A LOTS of water flow too... and also, highly O2 water.... they are by far EXTREMELY AGRESSIVE AS WELL!... so I suppose we shouldnt keep these beautiful fish either!

I could go on, but as I am also, just feeding the " troll "... So Ill end here ... TODAY!

haha, so the TROLL GOT HIS FEEDING! HAHAHAHAHAHHA
Old 10/12/2005, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

you know what's a shame shawn?

reefcentral can be a great resource. first and foremost, it can be a great place to find out info about fish and reefs, and other marine life topics.

even more though, it can be a great way to make contacts that will help you in your hobby and in other ways. when i was a marine science student i got some advice and help from bomber, one of the guru's here. now i'm working as a manager at NOAA.

you know, you could use this place as a resource too. but instead, your attitude sucks. your posts are ridiculous.
anyway, it's your call. if you're a troll, then this is a great thread. if not, i truly feel bad for you because you're going to have a tough time doing anything useful in marine science with your current attitude towards animal husbandry.

it's really too bad. i don't imagine you'll be lasting much longer around here.
Old 10/12/2005, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

although I'm strongly opposed to get you getting an achilles shawn, can I see a picture of yours with "blue" on it.
Old 10/12/2005, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

my achilles has blue along the bottom fins. he's had little bouts of ich on and off. he's a good eater though but he definatly needs his space. I made the mistake of adding a MINITAUS GROUPER and that auto matically stressed the ACHILLES. they truly need there space.

SHAWN, all you said about those tangs is true! they all can be kept but under the best circumstances if you want them to survive and thrive,

yellows can get along with most fish if enough space.
powders can survive if given the right tank mates and setup.
sohals need a big tank and no other big fish [if you don't want them dead.
clowns, same thing.
unicorns, need a HUGE tank.

so, whats your point??
Old 10/12/2005, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Just a clarification - from Webster's

tur·bid (tûrbd)
adj.

1. Having sediment or foreign particles stirred up or suspended; muddy: turbid water.
2. Heavy, dark, or dense, as smoke or fog.
3. In a state of turmoil; muddled: turbid feelings.

tur·bu·lent (tûrby-lnt)
adj.

1. Violently agitated or disturbed; tumultuous: turbulent rapids.
2. Having a chaotic or restless character or tendency: a turbulent period in history.
3. Causing unrest or disturbance; unruly: turbulent, revolutionary undercurrents
Old 10/12/2005, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

heheh maybe his water is actually turbid from having "all that flow" in there!
Old 10/12/2005, 06:33 PM
Go Sooners!

Quote:
I never stated whatsoever at ALLLL that my tank was optimal... I stated that I could get buy!
Just getting by really isn't fair to that poor fish now is it? Why not strive to give him the best environment and tank conditions you can?

Quote:
We will see how he does
Unfortunately, we already know
Old 10/12/2005, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

okokokokokokokokok!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are RIGHT!.... I wouldnt my self ADVISE anyyyy other person to keep an achilles tang in a 75gallon tank!!!!!!!!!

MAYBE JUST MAYBE if it was a baby 1 inch or 2 MAX!... and ONLY if they had GREAT Water Quality and they had some serious flow!

You guys are all right... there you happy, Seriously, I DO THIS, but DONT RECOMMEND IT!... heck, I eat Vit. C like candy... way to much, but DONT RECOMMEND IT... Some people, not myself, smoke... they dont recommend it if they are good people!!!

Geeze, when it all comes RIGHT DOWN TO IT, yeah, I just want the fish, yes, lol, Im a spoiled BRAT who gets most everything I want...

I was planning on having a VERY SMALL achilles, 1 or 2 inches... It came in as a 3 inch , yeah, I AGREE hes WAY TO BIG for my tank... but hes also I special order, which means I HAVE to buy him....
If he was only 1 or 2 inches... I really personally think I could have got by with him in my tank for a while... I would have simply raised him up well.. kept him in TIP TOP looking shape, and made sure he was getting his nutrition... then, when he got a big bigger 4 inches... took him out, and personally found him a home...
now that he is 3 inchs, which I HAD NO CONTROL OVER!.... I will not have that long of a time with him!

lets just say. Hes comming to my tank as a foster home so to speak....

YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT, ok!.... now... on some good news

the Achilles that is mine is still under QT.... he is looking WONDERFUL.. very filled out and plump... eatting well, very active!... and so far not an ich spot on him!... I am useing SEACHEMS PARAGAURD to QT him ..... seems to have worked with those sensitive fish because the Paragaurd is not toxic... like Quick Cure of other Methol whatever products....

the Coral Beauty that is mine is only an inch and a half.. she is one of the MOST UNUSUAL CB Ive seen... shes not purple like the others, shes really NEON BLUE!... and orange... really weird... but I know that a coral Beauty will be fine in my tank, lol, so Im not feeding that darn troll!!!!!!

Question... Ive heard people saying, yeah my tang got ich, I fed it well and he or she recoverd...

how is this?.. I know that it builds their immune system.... of course, but how does that help with an external parasite??? and what is in Seaweed that helps their immune system?... would you recommend soaking the Nori in some type of Garlic liquid like Garlic Extreme or Garlic Gaurd????

just curious....

I am a bit worried.... I tested the tank today.... almost been a week after the move.... and noticed the nitrates where at 20ish and the Phosphates where about 1.0... which is NOTT GOOOODDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do phosphates have any effect on fish?... I would assume yes, but after all I am asking the profesionals.... come on guys im trying here now, you got to me!!!

I am planning on doing a 30 gallon WC tomorow on the 75.... Instant Ocean salt... to help with these little buggers!!!

you guys recommend anything else.... phosgaurd?... I really think WC would do better!!!

what do you guys think... OF COURSE THE NEW FISH WILL NOT GET IN THE WATER UNTILL THIS IS UNDER CONTROL!..

everything else is fine... Ammonia 0 of course, Nitrites 0 of course, and pH is perfect at 8.4.... Ca is 420 I believe and ALK is at 4meq/l
temp is fine 78*F

anything else I need to worry about????

thanks again!
Old 10/12/2005, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

ok i persoannlly i think alot of flow means like 30-40 times turnover. you have 23 times turnover not bad but not considered turbulent. Bu this fish needs perfection my friend.

Whenever we get the achilles tang in they come in nice and always sttress out Ich and Die. I blieve they need at least a 125 gallon. a small one may be fine in your tank like 2 inch size. I wish you the best of lcuk my friend b/c l not even half o the achille swe get in get past the quarintine stage. Although we newver oder them for this reason.
Old 10/12/2005, 10:52 PM

Yeah...I just special ordered a great white shark for my 3 gallon pico reef. It was supposed to be VERY SMALL...like 1 or 2 inches, but ended up being 14 feet long. It took a couple of hours but I crammed him in there. Its only temporary until he outgrows the tank and then Im going to donate him...or something.
Old 10/12/2005, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

High nitrate and phosphat elevels are ushaully because of over feeding or bioload.
Old 10/12/2005, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

It's interesting that a fish you "Hand picked," could turn out larger than expected. It's also interesting that when you "Hand picked" your Moorish Idol, it turned out larger than planned.

Good luck to the fish.
Old 10/13/2005, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

just don't pick it up? no one can FORCE you to buy anything.
my achilles has cloudy eye and some ich right now all because I added a new fish and they didn't like each other! my tank is 500g
so it goes to show you these tangs are NOT easy at all. and good luck trying to get him out of your tank once he's to big as you say. just the stress of trying to catch him will probally push him over the edge.
Old 10/13/2005, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It's interesting that a fish you "Hand picked," could turn out larger than expected. It's also interesting that when you "Hand picked" your Moorish Idol, it turned out larger than planned.
I DIDNT HAND PICK THEM!... SOMEONE IN THE WAREHOUSE HAND PICKED IT!!!!!! geeze

and My Moorish Idol was NOT HAND PICKED! just ordered!

as for the comment of Just Dont Buy It... hense, and please be aware of the previous post where I stated " It was a SPECIAL order" and HAND PICKED... aka, there is no return policy when you have already PAID for the fish!

Well... I really hope that mine is one of those that are ok, and dont get to stressed and become ICH infested and die... of course, we all do!

so farrrrrrr, so good, but of course, not success!

well... I have a water change to do...

I have heard of killing ich with Ginger Root... I have ALSO TRIED IT MYSELF, on a KOLE tang and a Yellow Tang and a few other fish as well... just by takeing a Root, putting it in the blender on HIGH for a few minutes and then straining the juice off really well with a strainer such as a Coffee Strainer... and soaking food in it, also, adding it to the tank, this seems to work... FAST within 2 days... and NO RETURNS!... which is excellent, I have used it, read on here were someone cured a purple tang with it.. forget the persons name... anyway... I had untill yesterday FORGOT that I had done this ... lol, I suppose it worked so fast I didnt have time to remember HAHA.. jk, anyway... I am going to do this again!

thanks!
Old 10/13/2005, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
High nitrate and phosphat elevels are ushaully because of over feeding or bioload.
yes, the trates are a bit up there because of my previous fish, my Moorish Idol, lol, feeding them 4 to 8 times a day isnt easy on the water quality... I suspect that because of this, and my lack of salt and inability to do WC's the trates stressed them out, and thats where my previous fish got a bit of ich from...

as for Phosphates.... I say the same... although, interestingly enough, just days before the Tank Move the Phosphate Levels where only .1.... believe it or not!

I do NOT have an overbioload for sure.... 1 clown and 1, 1.5 inch regal tang is not overloading a 75 gallon.... the trates and phosphates are from no dought, the feedings of the MI...

Now, just to get it under control again!