Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2005, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

blenny90
That was a beauty.I would never consider any of my tank inhabitants as "just a fish".The only thing I have found to be consistant with jumpers,is that something was chasing them.
Old 10/28/2005, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

aww, i'm sorry about your forktail. it was a beauty!
Old 10/28/2005, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyLionfish
hey fishfan, I know before I suggested you use formula 2 for your LMB. And I read in another thread that you said yours eats it. Do you use the frozen stuff? Its like all goopy and gross and if I put it in the tank it all falls apart, how do you feed it?!
hey crazylion, yesterday i found my lmb dead i'm not sure why because it had finally started eating the f2 as i told you. oh well, it might have been too little too late.
Old 10/28/2005, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Possibly of old age?
Old 10/28/2005, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

hm, didn't think of that. it's certainly possible as i'm not sure how old it was when i got it. i had such a bad experience with the darn thing that i won't be getting another one
Old 10/28/2005, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rothie
blenny90
That was a beauty.I would never consider any of my tank inhabitants as "just a fish".The only thing I have found to be consistant with jumpers,is that something was chasing them.
Don't know what would have chased him - other fish in the tank are 2 Firefish Gobies and a Yellow Watchman Goby - they are all very timid.

I think he just got a little excited about dinner and when it didn't show up, well . . . .

I just felt horrible - it wasn't like he got sick or anything. I just felt responsible because I didn't feed right after turning off the filters. I had also added water to the tank, so with the filter off, the water level was higher than usual.

It was a very sad night for me. I had waited and waited for Live Aquaria to get them in stock and then ordered right away. I was so excited the day he arrived. I've been unable to find one locally - maybe one of the lfs can order me another one. I'm back on the waiting list at Live Aquaria.

The tank seems so quiet without him. The gobies aren't very exciting!
Old 10/28/2005, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

The firefish will not get along,and they will chase one another till one of them jumps.It's very misleading when you see several firefish together in a tank at the LFS.Your blenny may have been trying to get away from the firefish when they were chasing each other.
Old 10/29/2005, 10:40 AM
Big Boy Pants

I have a pair of firefish & they get a long just fine. No aggression what so ever. I may have a pair. I bought 2 that were swimming together from the lfs

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 11/02/2005, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Can you keep more than one blenny in the same tank? Different sub species together? Do they all eat algae? I don't know much about blennies, except they're beautiful fish.
Old 11/02/2005, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

The best mixtures I think are like Lawnmower blenny and say.. the midas. They have different body shapes, swimming behaviors, and eating behaviors.
Old 11/02/2005, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

I agree with prugs - my 2 firefish are buddies. They share the same hole under a rock with a Yellow Watchman Goby. I've never seen them chase each other in the 6 months they've been in the tank.

I just wish they were out in the open more. Without my blenny, the tank is very still. I miss him!
Old 11/02/2005, 10:49 PM
Premium Member

Pairs of firefish are fine. It is when you add more then two that you have problems or if you have two different types of firefish.
Old 11/06/2005, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

bicolor ? - what does everyone feed their bicolor? i got a new bicolor yesterday. i know they're herbivorous, would f2 be good? i know my coral beauty angel likes f2 but not sure the bicolor would. i tried feeding it but it didn't eat yet.
Old 12/01/2005, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

BigShade: I am looking at getting one of these blennies.
I have a 29 gal and right now I just have a cleaning crew and 2 clowns. I am going to make a REEF tank and don't want any agressive fish. This fish is gorgeous!!!

Tell me all about it!! :-)
Old 12/01/2005, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Oh also,
I wanted to ask you guys. Seems while reading through this thread that alot of you got your fish, acclimated and put it straight in your tank. Does no one QT before they add a new fish?(just my impression from reading, could be wrong). Please advise. I thought you were always suppose to QT first. I am new don't know so I am asking. :-)
Old 12/01/2005, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

I always quarantine.It gives the fish a chance to regain their strength and confidence after being shipped around so much.It also gives them a chance to get to know me and my routines.