Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/08/2005, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Male Midas Blenny, anyone know where I could find a female?? I've had him for around a year, he has great personality and survived a jump out of the tank! I feed my fish a mixture of Formula 1 flake food with garlic and Brine Shrimp. What else should I feed him, hes a pig.
Old 09/08/2005, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Great Pictures.
Old 09/08/2005, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

What blenny would you recommend more for a 40 gallon reef tank with a pair of Oc. clowns and a solar fairy wrasse?

A Midas or a Tailspot or the Horseface Blenny (Ophioblennius steindachneri)

I don't know much about the Horseface Blenny, but they looked cool :P
Old 09/08/2005, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Pike Blennies are Reef Safe

CrazyLionfish,

Yes the Pike blenny's are totally reef safe! They only eat meaty type foods (mysis, shrimp, etc.).

The only thing in a reef that might be in jeopardy would be a feather duster, as you can see (from the picture) they will try to move in and make a home if possible. This could lead to the death of the worm inside.

If your interested in geting one I would look now, as they come across the commercial fish trade few and far between. It appears there have been some on the market right now. It's the first time in about two years I have been able to find any.

Best of luck if you end up getting one. Share pictures if you do.

Later~
Old 09/08/2005, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info. I don't plan on having any feather dusters so thats no problem. I'm having a pretty large algae problem (i think some of it is kelp). I was contemplating moving my yellow tang from my 75 FOWLR to my 40 reef temporarly to eat all teh algae because my FOWLR tank is all MEAT EATERS lol so he like refuses to eat the vegetable, he wants to be like the other fish haha. I might just give it to the LFS, i've had her for over a year and a half but she is my least favorite fish and since its hard to get the vegetable to her she isn't looking too good. ANYWAYS so I kind of want a blenny that eats algae because the good "algae eating fish that swim" get way too big for a 40 gallon. But from what I've heard blennies really only eat thin algae that is on the glass or rocks. I was also considering putting the algae covered rocks in my FOWLR tank, but with the fish in there every living organism on the rock would be dead fast - so its the equivelent of dipping it in freshwater basically lol.

Sorry for the large algae problem talk - is it possible to have two blennies in a 40 gallon tank? If one was a meat eater and the other was a herbavore, because the pike looks nothing like the other blennys for the most part.
Old 09/08/2005, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

This guys are just soooo photogenic...I love all blennies

Old 09/08/2005, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Blenny Compatibility

Wouldn't worry about it.

I have the two Pike Blenny's, a Barnacle blenny, and a Jawfish that all hang out on the bottom of my 90 gallon reef with no problems.

You should have no problem with two blennies in a 40. Especially since the pike blenny will spend 80% of it's time in it's tube or around it. Really only will swim throughout the water table when eating. They are huge pigs when it comes to eating.

You can even feed them a ghost shrimp or a guppie occasionally to see them strike, and see how large their mouth is. It's pretty cool, unless your the shrimp or the guppy.

Don't worry about other shrimp in your tank though, should have no problem unless they are really small. I have a cleaner shrimp about an inch and a half with no problem.

Later~
Old 09/08/2005, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Okay thanks for the info. May I ask how much was your pike blenny and did you get it from your LFS? My two peppermint shrimp when I got them from my online order were like really small, and I didn't know where they were for a while (thought they died) but then I check in the back and they made a like a huge tunnel in the sand its awesome and they seem to have doubled in size. There was this blob of crap that came off the LR like a month ago and now its gone, they might have ate it. (sorry for going off topic again lol) And since I added my fairy wrasse they come out much more, kinda neat.
Old 09/08/2005, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

My midas *(pictured above)* has a very big personality. He will back into holes in the rocks when hes afraid and he opens his mouth wide and changes color when hes trying to intimadate. In the pic he was layn' in a lettuce coral going through STN and he currently lays in my toadstool leahter, all day. When planning my new 65gallon tank I ended up buying every single rock while keeping in mind that my blenny would want to go in its holes. So I spent a pretty penny to have each rock with nice holes going through it . Still intrested in a healthy diet for him if someone has advice.
Old 09/09/2005, 09:19 AM
Big Boy Pants

Double spot blenny, Just a mere 1.5" full grown. Lots of character, & perfect for a nano.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...nny__1_2_1.jpg

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 09/10/2005, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

Anyone Else with a Tail Spot Blenny?

The pics shown on this thread and tbose on Live Aquaria - are very nice looking fish. But found some on a website that were not attractive at all.

Anyone else have pics of them?

What other blenny would be okay in a 20 gallon tank? I have 2 firefish, various corals, and a clam.
Old 09/11/2005, 05:49 AM
Registered Member

ecsenius midas. Have had this guy for about 9 months now. Awesome personality.

I previously had a salarias fasciatus and an ecsenius tigris (seperately), though the salarias fasciatus I found dried up on the floor after about a year in my (old) tank. The e. tigris dissapeared after only a week (1" long).

Ecsenius spp. are by far the most interesting genus of blenny, closely following by emblemaria and plagiotremus.
Old 09/11/2005, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

are these the blennys you said closely followed the midas? They look pretty sweet.
the emblemaria

Old 09/11/2005, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

I got my lawnmower blenny today!! The LFS finally had one! (actulley they had 5) only $19.99 hes about 1.5 inches and is very perceptive! I'll post some pics later, hopefully he doesn't hide too much!
Old 09/11/2005, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Okay well I put him in the tank and he was really white (camoflauged to the white bucket) within 5 minutes hes swimming all over, eating hair algae, eating this leafy algae I have, and is much darker! I'm so excited!!! He is one of the cutest fish I've ever had. He looks at the algae and then takes a big bite!!
Old 09/11/2005, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Now I'm even more amazed. I go up to him because hes sitting on the sand, perfect for a picture, and then he perches perfectly on a rock like "take my picture"!!

its kinda blurry but you can see him, still learning how to take good tank pics.
Old 09/11/2005, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Has anyone ever heard of a blue streak midas? I saw one at a lfs. It looked like it was black with some blue on its face. It was hiding so I didn't get a good look.
Old 09/12/2005, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickiwit
Has anyone ever heard of a blue streak midas? I saw one at a lfs. It looked like it was black with some blue on its face. It was hiding so I didn't get a good look.
does it look anything like the blenny in my avatar? if so, my lfs sold it to me as a midnight ember blenny. it's a very active, curious little fish and eats mysis, f1 and cyclop-eeze.

nice photos everyone, keep them coming!
Old 09/12/2005, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

It kind of looks like yours. I didn't get a good look at it. I was just curious if there was such a thing.
Old 09/13/2005, 04:57 AM
Registered Member

i am deciding between a bicolour and a lawn mower blenny for my reef which one would you guys reccomend also which one has more personality?

cheers
Old 09/13/2005, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

I had a bicolor before and compared to the lawn mower he had the personality of a rock. My LMB perches from rock to rock constantly and he eats algae all day, he also sleeps in this big cup algae. It like us sleeping in a bed of candy haha hes sleeping in his food. And he peeks his head out of the cup to check whats going on. I have only had mine for 2 days and it has so much personality.
Old 09/13/2005, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

I got a bicolor blenny 3 days ago and he is in QT now. He is to be my first fish, but he seems to be very shy and hides all the time.

When I got him he changed colors (some whiteish stripes showed up) quite a bit during transport/acclimation, but now those are gone. I acclimated him for ~30 minutes using the drip method.

Now when i can actually see him he appears to be "breathing" hard. I have tested the water and everything appears to be good, I hope he is ok!

Do these guys tend to become more bold / visable after they have been in the tank for a while?
Old 09/13/2005, 01:22 PM
Super Duper Member

i have a lawnmower that is close to 5 inches long. is is 3 yrs old and has always "breathed" hard. i wouldnt be worried about that.
Old 09/13/2005, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickiwit
It kind of looks like yours. I didn't get a good look at it. I was just curious if there was such a thing.
you never know what lfs's are going to label their fish as. i don't even think the name of mine, ember blenny, is correct. but if it is the one i have i would definitely advise getting one, they're cool fish. be aware though, they don't eat any algae that i've seen, aren't like lawnmowers in that respect.
Old 09/13/2005, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

jafoca I think blennys tend to be either shy or not shy and it depends on the individual. My LMB to my surprise has been out constantly since the second I put him in, he is constantly moving around in the open eating all the algae he can get. Its funny, he'll sit there for a bit doing nothing, then all of a sudden he goes psycho and eats all the algae around him lol.