Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 06/07/2005, 12:41 PM
angelfish nut!

That sucks Julio... I got all of my lyretails from Liveaquaria and highly recommend them... great prices with a 14 day guarantee...

Get pics of those bimacs!

What did the heat spike to?

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 06/07/2005, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

the tank was 92 when i got home last night at around 9:30 pm, did an emergency water change with cold water, but half of my coral RTN and and then the tank managed to stabelize at 79, but the animals were too affected from the heat to recover.
Old 06/07/2005, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

A real bummer!!!! I hope the bimac's pull thru.
Old 06/07/2005, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

the Bimacs are ok
Old 06/07/2005, 04:52 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Julio,
Do you use a chiller or room AC?

Sorry to hear about your corals & lyretails.
Old 06/07/2005, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

i have a chiller on it but the controller just happened to malfunction or something, but i fixed it and is working well now but too little too late.
Old 06/08/2005, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

so do you expect to replace the lyretails or move to another choice? I've added 3 dispars to my collection. Nice color and they like the open water.
Old 06/08/2005, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Just following this thread sorry to heir about you losing the lyretals very beautiful fish I have one female and 4 dispar two was put in last night along with a purple queen (that was a mix up but after seeing in person I with I would have orded them instead of the dispar just beautiful )in my 120 right know all female, I had a very bright colorful male but he died about a week ago man did that hurt he was eating everything almost right away after putting him in the thank, he got something on is side could not tell what it was but the cleaner shrimps kept picking at him all day and in two days he was gone. Everyone seems to be getting along just fine I am going to let that group stay together without adding another male for right know and see what happens[IMG]

not too good of a pic but you can see her a little

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...18Img_1252.JPG [/IMG]
Old 06/08/2005, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

i am gonna replace the lyretail for sure they are too beautiful of a fish that add a lot of movement and life to my tank, maybe a few bimac too, i just realized that i also lost my Male Genicamthus Semifasciatus.
Old 06/08/2005, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Have you seen any place that has bimac's for sale? I'm really interested in a male but we are getting to the hot season and am a bit worried that shipping might not be good this time of year. Live aquaria isn'rt listing them currently.
Old 06/08/2005, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

they usually get them in once a month or so, but all the reatil stores sell them for about twice as much so it would still be cheaper with shiping cost, plus is live arrival guaranteed
Old 07/02/2005, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Hey Guys,
here is an update, sinc ethe lyretails died due to my tank overheating, the Bimacs have gotten really aggresive towards one another and 2 have died from severe wounds that they inflicted on each other, it seems that they would do better with a male in the colony already to boss them around and not fight with each other. The lyretails seemed to act as some sort of differ fish for them as they would display to them but never attack them. None of them changed sex since i got them yet, which is really weird that it has taken suck a long time. Also i plann on getting more in the near future when they become available again.
Old 07/03/2005, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

sorry to hear about the losses... thats always tough...

My lyretail male and female are still doing well... not really any fighting.. but like i mentioned, the Clarkii is the boss... chasing the male from time to time... that must take some resources for the male to watch out for him rather than picking on the female. I can confirm that they only eat from the water column.. if the mysis hits the ground they dont touch it... they eat mysis and cyclopeeze. I tried ocean nutrition formula but they arent too interested... the male will take a very small amount but the female wont even think about it.. I dont like it because it has gel binder.. goes in as a cube and sinks... dont like that at all...
Old 07/03/2005, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

it well over a year before my anthias took any flakes, all they would eat was frozen food.
Old 08/03/2005, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

Just got two Bimacs today. One Male & One Female. They look great!!
I'll try to get a pic.

Hef
Old 08/03/2005, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I think i should have gotten a male too. None of the females have changed at all. I have 2 left, from the original 4 and they are now eating everythign including pellets.

Live aquaria just got some in for those of you who want them.
Old 08/04/2005, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Julio Thought I'd let you know I received two more Bimacs from Liveaquaria today along with some Carberryi Anthias. Think that will probably put me close to 35 anthias in my tank. I was really looking to add a male Bimac but they didn't have any in. Of all the anthias species think these are my favorite. Glad to here you still have two left from your disaster. Any experience with Randall's or resplendant species?
Old 08/04/2005, 04:29 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
That sucks Julio... I got all of my lyretails from Liveaquaria and highly recommend them... great prices with a 14 day guarantee...

Get pics of those bimacs!

What did the heat spike to?
This thread has a serious lack of PICTURES! I got my bimacs over a month ago... a male and two females. This was the first time in months that they were available and the males were sold out in hours and have not been available since. WOW WOW WOW these things rock! They took a good week before they settled in and started venturing out, but now they are right there nailing the turkey baster with the rest of my fish mob. They are beautiful, large, and vibrant... almost putting my lyretails to shame (although I love them too). I've been pleasently surprised by how they've settled in. Aggression is at a minimum and aside from the longer time to settle in I cannot see a difference between these and my past experience with other more hardy anthias. These are far from delicate, and we'll see how they do long term, but if it wasn't for the price (and a five day old baby!) I'd have more females.

Here's a load of shots...

First, three of the spectacular male... the closest thing to those wicked Japanese anthias...

Next, two of the females...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 08/04/2005, 04:30 PM
angelfish nut!

Male and female together

A nice combo shot of one of the females with one of my female regal angels, a moorish idol, black tang, and others...

The male, again with a female regal angel and my pair of Pomacanthus chrysurus (African earspot angels) in a washed out photo taken with flash under actinics

Lastly, the male again, with a tomini and the adult chrysurus behind my hoeksemai colony...

Let's get some more pics!

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 08/04/2005, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Holy crap.....those are gorgeous!! I want!!! Have your metal halides bothered them any?
Old 08/04/2005, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

see how gorgeous they are, i am gonna get some more soon.
Old 08/04/2005, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Great Pics Copps!
Mine have been hiding now for over 24 hours. Been a long time since I was worried about new fish in my tank. I put some cyclopeeze in the tank and both of them stuck there heads out for a quick Role Call I saw both of them eat some live brine shrimp that I put in. But they are back in and hiding again. Cant see them at all. My Blue Angel picked on them when I first put them in, that will probably work out though.
I'll get some pics as soon as they come out.

My LFS has one more set - Male & Female. I'd like to get another Female or two after I see how this works out. They are That Nice.

Hef
Old 08/04/2005, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Hey Hef,
i would not worry about them hiding, mine hid for an entire week before coming out to feed, it is a very common thing for them to do.
Old 08/04/2005, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Can you reserve them from LiveAquaria? Planning on 5 bimacs and 5 bartletts or lyretails in my tank. Which species would you add first or would you add them together?
Old 08/05/2005, 12:00 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by curthendrix
Holy crap.....those are gorgeous!! I want!!! Have your metal halides bothered them any?
In the first week or so, they were noticibly more active under the actinics, but now there is no difference... they've adapted to my 400 watt 10k XMs so they should adapt to just about any bulb...

curthendrix you cannot reserve through Liveaquaria. They have an e-mail update feature that e-mails you when an item comes in stock, but I've noticed this is usually a day later, many times too late to get high demand species. I suggest checking during the day as a habit... the male Bimacs were gone within hours when I ordered. I'd definately add the Bartlett's or lyretails before the Bimacs as the Bimacs are much larger and more imposing...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus