Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/01/2005, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys,
one of them is out and perched between two coral heads the other 3 are starting get more comfortable, but these fish are known to hide for a week before coming out for food.
Old 04/02/2005, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Julio Other than promising to deliver and didn't , were you ok with live aquaria for ordering fish?
Old 04/02/2005, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

yeah i was pretty happy in the end, after i expressed my displeasure, they called me several times to make ammends, the fish look exactly like they do on their site.
Old 04/02/2005, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

I just bought two yesterday (Lyretail). I have one male and one female. Some mentioned that I should have a male and more than 1 female....how big of a problem is this... is it safe to wait and see or should I act immediately and get her out or add more females? opinions?

Any other tricks to get them to feed... mine havent yet... Ive tried veggie flake, prime reef flake, cyclopeeze, brine.... i am going out to get frozen mysis.... nothing yet... but they havent been in the tank 24 hours yet either...

Last edited by sammiefish; 04/02/2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04/02/2005, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Julio Man I'm jealous...if the fish match the pics on their web site, they're AWESOME! Might have to try to get a few myself!!
Old 04/02/2005, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Hey Tom,
you will love them if you do get them.
Sammie, i would get atleast 4 more females as the male will spread its aggression among them rather than focus on one.
Old 04/05/2005, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

well, it has now been a week since they have been in the tank, i just fed the fish and noticed that there was another one of the females out feeding, this morning when i woke up there were 3 of them out and swimming in the water colum, they are now getting a little more aggressive when feeding which is great, there is still 1 unaccounted for though, so i hope she comes out soon.
Old 04/05/2005, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

today is day 3... Lyretail- 1 male 1 female in a 75 g, 100lbs LR... tank mates: 1 Clarkii, 1 YT, 1 CBS

male has been out since the beginning but getting more comfortable... he comes out to see me when I approach the tank, right up to the glass my other fish rarely did that... the female had only come out a short distance from the security of the rock but doesnt seem to be intimidated by me as much as by the other fish.

the clarkii (who is now pretty big at about 3 inches) was chasing the male into the rock. I think he is trying to be big cheese... If he keeps it up hes going to find himself in a new home.... Im tired of him being nasty

the tang is friendly to the male and the male doesnt swim away.

tonight the female was out much further than I have seen before,... with the male.

The male is now EATING cyclopeeze...BIG TIME! thank god!! I am pretty sure the female is eating the cyclopeeze too... but those things are so darn tiny its hard to tell.

These fish are SO nice looking and they have caused the other fish to change their behavior... I think the other fish come stay out more... but I think that was due mostly to the Clarkii... hes just nasty.

Although I bet these guys would be fine I am really considering additional females... they are just beautiful!!! and i bet the bigger the school the more comfortable they all feel.

What else are you all feeding your lyretails? Do they eat "pods"?

just so darn happy with these guys!!
Old 04/05/2005, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

sammie, feed them some mysis shrimp as a staple for a while to put some weight on them a few times a day. They will eat all kinds of pods, they will also gobble up brine shrimp, pieces of clams and chopped squid.
Old 04/06/2005, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Im glad to hear they eat pods... I suppose that will supplement feeding when they are hungry when I am not home (yes, I work too). I would guess that with the anthias eating pods it might not be a good idea to choose a mandarin to add to the mix. Ill try to pick up some mysis tonight ... thanks!
Old 04/06/2005, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

anthias, will not go directly after pods, they will eat them in the water colum, is ok to ad a mandarin i just got one a few months and they are all doing well. I saw all 4 of the Bimaculatus this morning so they should all be out in the water colum hopefully by the end of the week if not the weekend.
Old 04/06/2005, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

that sounds great!!! It is so good to see our guys venture out in the open... lets you breath a sigh of relief doesnt it....?
Old 04/06/2005, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

oh yeah!
Old 04/06/2005, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

You'll have to keep us posted on the outcome. I'm about to pull the trigger on these guys myself. I can't wait!! I hope they are still available.
Old 04/06/2005, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys,
i just fed the tank and 3 of them came out to feed, the 4th is still hiding but i can see where she is. The lyretails don't bother them at all. the male lyretails display to the females but they don't anything else.
Old 04/07/2005, 11:49 AM
angelfish nut!

Keep the updates coming... I have lyretails in my system now that I'm looking to mix the bimaculatus with so that's good news Julio... if they were the price of the lyretails I'd jump on them... but at least they're not up there with the pictilis...

On a side note I've always been happy with fish orders from Liveaquaria... and you really can't beat the 14 day guarantee...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 04/07/2005, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Well, 2 of the anthias are feedig aggressively and now come to the front of the tank when ever i stand in front of it along with all the fish. 1 still only comes out to feed and the 4th is still in hiding. The male lyretails are still displaying to them, but no chasing or anything else goes on.
Old 04/07/2005, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Julio Just curious what other anthias species you have in your tank now?
Old 04/08/2005, 05:23 AM
Registered Member

lyretails
Old 04/08/2005, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Hey all,
day 10 and all of them now come out to feed, 2 of them feed very aggresively and even coem to the front of the tank now when i stand in front to look at the tank. The other 2 are getting more comfortable so they should be schooling in another week at the most.
Old 04/08/2005, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

good news Julio when the big build is done I think I will add these instead of more female lyretails.

do you have a male lyretail?
Old 04/11/2005, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Hey,
i have 2 male lyretails and 5 fermales.
I saw 3 of the bimaculatus schooling this morning before the atinics came on. 3 of them are feeding pretty aggresively now and fight for food among all the other fish. The 4th is still shy and comes out only to feed.
Old 04/21/2005, 09:46 AM
angelfish nut!

Any updates Julio?

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 04/21/2005, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Hey,
sorry i been so busy lately i hardly have time to come online, the anthias are all out and feeding, they horse around with one another trying to establish dominance to see which one will be the male. They are all still females, they eat a lot and seem to have a much faster metabolism than any anthias that i have ever kept.
Old 04/22/2005, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Glad to hear all is well. Keep us posted when you see the dominant female start changing over.