Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 01/17/2006, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
did you put the regal in your 400 gallon reef? If so your results in a 125 might be a little different.
Yes, straight into a 400 USG with about 23 other fish, all but a few of them smaller than the Regal. I also put in a yellow tang plus 4 small damsels at the same time and they, especially the tang, shared of the agression. The Regal and the tang used to hide out in the same hole and it must have been a good bonding experience since they still both 'sleep' more or less in the same spot.

A 125 might be quite a bit different if is were reasonably stocked.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Atkins; 01/17/2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01/18/2006, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

You ARE RIght guys!
it's out with the tangs!
Old 01/18/2006, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Wise move. Best of luck with your new regal
Old 01/18/2006, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Wise move. Best of luck with your new regal
Old 01/19/2006, 04:57 AM
Registered Member

I'm trying all over the online vendors for a red sea regal of around 2-2.5 inches. You guys know where I might find one in good condition?

Thanks
Old 01/19/2006, 08:48 AM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Email this place. I've read good things bout them.
http://www.phishybusiness.com/
Old 01/20/2006, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Well,

Just ordered two small red sea regal angel from Liveaquaria.com. It should be delivery on Saturday at 1:30pm. Can't wait.

mattt.
Old 01/20/2006, 09:11 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

what's the difference between Regals from different oceans/seas?
Old 01/20/2006, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

There are two varieties commonly offered in the trade, easily distinguished by coloration. Those from the Indo-Pacific have a grayish-blue throat and belly, while those from the Red-Sea/Indian Ocean have a bright yellow, sometime orange throat and belly. It is thought by many that Red Sea/Indian Ocean Regals are much hardier than Indo-Pacific Regals. Having said that, I have an Indo-Pacific and it is doing very well and eats like a champ - perhaps and exception to the rule.
Old 01/21/2006, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

EVERYONE!
Please post how long and in what method you acclimated you regal.
Old 01/21/2006, 12:56 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Rondelet: That's what I thought, but wasn't sure... Thanks.
Old 01/21/2006, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MATTT
Well,

Just ordered two small red sea regal angel from Liveaquaria.com. It should be delivery on Saturday at 1:30pm. Can't wait.

mattt.

Well, did you get the Regals?
Old 01/21/2006, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

I don't mean to be rude or presumptuous, but I see a few people in here that have implied that they may try to keep a regal angel and only have limited experience with the hobby. This is just my opinion, but these fish are not easy to keep and it would be wise, both for the welfare of the fish and your wallet to purchase and care for something easier till you have more experience and can devote your time and energy to the fish. Many a regal angel, moorish idol, two spot goby etc. has perished at the hands of a relatively inexperienced keeper, and advaced alike, however the chances of success with more experience is much higher. Please take this into consideration.

Mattt: I was just about to order some thursday night but decided to "sleep on it"...whoops, they're all gone by friday afternoon .
Old 01/22/2006, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Kalare

Excellent point. This thread is deceiving in that it gives many inexperienced fishkeepers false hope that regals are easy.

Everyone posts about their new regals but majority do not post when it has died. People that post regularly are the lucky few(incl me) that has a rare freak healthy regal. This is purely selection bias.

When some people dont even bother doing basic internet and book research and asking basic questions that has been addressed a thousand times in the thread, I cringe at the thought of another regal dying a slow death in the hands of a unprepared, inexperienced fishkeeper.
Old 01/22/2006, 11:04 AM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Quote:
Originally posted by elekamit
EVERYONE!
Please post how long and in what method you acclimated you regal.
I was looking at my fish log or fish geek diary and my RS Regal was purchased on 4/10/2005 for $44.95 at FishTown USA in New York. (I think I mentioned that my fish was purchased for $59 a few pages up)
Since reading this thread prior to my purchase, it was decided that the Regal would be acclimated straight into the tank (120g) versus quarantined.
Regal did not eat for 2+ week, then started munching on zoanthids, then started to take prepared foods around the 3rd week.
Old 01/22/2006, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Got one! I was able to find an eating Regal at a local shop. I'm very happy with it... Now if I can catch the very large damsel that is harrassing it. I have had to keep the lights off for the past 12 hours in the hopes that the Regal gets acclimated and will "fight back".

Otherwise I may have to tear down my tank to get at the damsel.

-Alfred
Old 01/22/2006, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Bad news. Found my regal (pacific-grey breasted) dead this morning after having it a month. It was eating mysid, nori, hikari angel feed, and cyclopeeze in my tank and had been eating mysid shrimp in the LFS for probably 4-6 weeks before I bought it. It was well fleshed out, and was active about the tank. I'm really at a loss to figure out how it died.
Old 01/22/2006, 01:59 PM
Fish Addict

Alfred I got two words for you "spear fish".

Billy sorry to hear that. I've had that happen to me before as well. Part of the "mystery" of the Regal. Better luck next time
Old 01/22/2006, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BillyFSU
Bad news. Found my regal (pacific-grey breasted) dead this morning after having it a month. It was eating mysid, nori, hikari angel feed, and cyclopeeze in my tank and had been eating mysid shrimp in the LFS for probably 4-6 weeks before I bought it. It was well fleshed out, and was active about the tank. I'm really at a loss to figure out how it died.
IndoPac regals are often doomed. This is why we all go after the red sea variety. Some believe it is because many are collected incorrectly and/or with the use of drugs.
Old 01/22/2006, 10:48 PM
I can speak whale!

hey, awesome thread btw! tons of info.

i was wondering(dont pound me or anything..i heard this from a couple of people):

would it be ok to have a regal in my 75g mixed reef, 29g sump/fuge...skimmer....fluval. 40lbs LR 55lbd baserock?
thats my filtration.

he would be my last addition when the tank is more established.
what do you think?

thanks
Old 01/23/2006, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin21
hey, awesome thread btw! tons of info.

i was wondering(dont pound me or anything..i heard this from a couple of people):

would it be ok to have a regal in my 75g mixed reef, 29g sump/fuge...skimmer....fluval. 40lbs LR 55lbd baserock?
thats my filtration.

he would be my last addition when the tank is more established.
what do you think?

thanks
The tank is large enough for a med size regal...but remember smaller tanks require more experience...and I notice you only have 6 months of it. I hope no offense is taken, but I seriously recommend trying an easier fish for your sake and for the fish's.

And the fluval, IMO, is a nitrate producer/detritus trap.

gl
Old 01/23/2006, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Kalare,

No, liveaquaria.com send me an e-mail saying that it is out of stock. That is funny, because I ordered it on Friday morning before the nine o'clock deadline to have it ship Saturday. I even call them twice to make sure, and was told that the regals are in the package. I notice that the available list was gone by Friday afternoon. Well better luck next time.

mattt.
Old 01/23/2006, 05:56 PM
I can speak whale!

yea, i was planning on him/her being the last fish, which will be ta my 1 year mark...i have 7 months experience now.

thanks
Old 01/23/2006, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Just a quick ?, had my regal for 2 weeks was eating everything including my zoo's. But then i went away sat came back didn't see him, thought I would go to bed and look in the morning, and came to find he was not there. So it's been 2 days and still no sign. Are these fish jumpers or what could of happened to him on sat. I have looked everyewhere. It was also around 5 inches. You would think i would see bones or some kind of body right? Any ideas?
Old 01/23/2006, 08:06 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=758598